Butt Kicking Stories..

Topic locked
Butt kicking stories.. Jun 03, 2007
Anyone has got any stories abt quitting smoking.. heroic stories like 'I've been a smoker for 12 yrs and one fine day I decided to quit.. and its been 4 yrs since.. n the benefits of quitting are.. blah blah. and the trip in quitting smoking is....blah blah.. ? any?

For the first time.. i think.. I need to quit it atleast for some time.... what's magic?

St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jun 03, 2007
Cold Turkey... quit for 4 years. Only started up again thanks to settling into an unhealthy lifestyle.

Am going to start detox next week, and this is the best time to quit.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 03, 2007
hmm how do u plan to do it.. :| I think i've heard u sayin u started smokin again.... but yea 4 yrs is enough time to clean up yoa lungs.. n u've done it once.. so u'll have the feeling that u can do it again.. but how?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jun 03, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:hmm how do u plan to do it.. :| I think i've heard u sayin u started smokin again.... but yea 4 yrs is enough time to clean up yoa lungs.. n u've done it once.. so u'll have the feeling that u can do it again.. but how?

Really, the only way to quit properly, for good, is cold turkey.

Remember, there's 2 addictions.

The first is the chemical addiction - amazingly this only takes 72 hours for the nicotine to leave your body and breakdown the chemical addiction. Within 1 week you have lost the chemical dependency.

The second is the habitual addiction, where you've programmed your lifestyle around smoking. You know, after or with coffee, after a nice meal, timed smoke breaks during the day etc. This is the harder one to break. I suggest you take up chewing gum or something, I did this and it helped but it was still somewhat of a struggle the first month. After this, you should have altered your lifestyle enough.

Some don'ts.

Don't give in and have 'just one'.
Don't continue joint habits... if you smoke with coffee, change to tea - preferably green tea.
Avoid drinking if you're a social smoker. This will encourage the habit and with your diminished responsibility from alcohol, you will cave in and break the quit cycle.

Most importantly, be committed to quitting. If you're not serious, it won't happen. If you're serious you'll find it a lot easier.

It might also help to put up little no smoking signs as reminders around the places at home you smoke. Suggestion can help.

Will power! Be strong.

Right... I'm going for a puff.
^ian^

Jun 03, 2007
hahah :lol: just came back after a smoko...
nice points.. seems like thats the only way to quit.. its all the more easier.. now.. cant smoke at home.. my dad's with me.. n I dont smoke infront of him nor is he a smoker.. so I'm more at ease and i've every reason to kick it too.... So cold turkey... a depressing factor is the feeling that u'r gonna lose something that u've adopted and has stayed with u for a real long time.. i mean than your last long relationship.. :| gotta fight it out..

Like u said need some will power.

Thanks yoa words mate.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jun 03, 2007
i have an idea :lol:

I get a rot weiler...you know..a dog....a crazy one...and let it loose on you....(let see how fast you can run)

My point is...one day...i had to make a sudden run for it (for whatever the reason)

I nearly died because of lack of air.

So i stopped shisha and smoking for a few months....and i noticed a slight increase in performance (in gym)

Smoking pretty much are for lazy slow blobs....never for a real man of action. Just because we live in our safe lil homes...doesnt mean we shud smoke...get lazy...etc. Your heart cant cope with ur body, and u never know when you will really need your heart to start pumping harder...plus u get better during s e x if u dont smoke.....
guest999

Jun 03, 2007
Sounds good as part of a detox overhaul. What exactly does the detox involve?
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Butt kicking stories.. Jun 03, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:Anyone has got any stories abt quitting smoking.. heroic stories like 'I've been a smoker for 12 yrs and one fine day I decided to quit.. --- snip ---
For the first time.. i think.. I need to quit it atleast for some time.... what's magic?

Hi,

Have you ever seen the heart or artery of a deceased veteren smoker ?
It is gross, of course.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksJBlood.html
dubaiforumuser
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 03, 2007
Ew that's gross. Yup my grandmother had to have a triple heart by-pass due to clogged arteries.

And here's what a smokers lungs look like, compared to healthy lungs:

http://www.bodyworldshop.com/assets/ima ... lungsg.jpg

And here's a few for those with strong stomachs:

http://www.quitsmokinghelp.net/smokers_lungs.html
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 04, 2007
enuff has been said about the bad habits of smoking , and being a pharmacist i know its true, but usually bad habits die hard.

I smoke bout 8 sticks a day, never really tried giving up for last 8 yrs. my stamina was down in the dumps, couldnt even do 500 mts without running out of breath, now joined a gym and stamina has -increased can do 3 kms, cross training for 20 odd minutes and am still good, no huffing and puffing. though my smoking hasnt reduced but working out definately helped me get my stamina back to an extent.

Who know maybe down the line even i might go cold turkey :lol:

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 04, 2007
Jeevan wrote:enuff has been said about the bad habits of smoking , and being a pharmacist i know its true, but usually bad habits die hard.

I smoke bout 8 sticks a day, never really tried giving up for last 8 yrs. my stamina was down in the dumps, couldnt even do 500 mts without running out of breath, now joined a gym and stamina has -increased can do 3 kms, cross training for 20 odd minutes and am still good, no huffing and puffing. though my smoking hasnt reduced but working out definately helped me get my stamina back to an extent.

Who know maybe down the line even i might go cold turkey :lol:

cheers,

J

I did the Cold Turkey thing 9 years ago, used to smoke 2 packs + per day, it was living hell for the first 6 months, hell for the next 4 1/2 years and now its heaven, down side is I can't stand the smell of smoke anymore.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 05, 2007
thats some story. But did it really take 5 yrs for u to come out?

Jeev bhai.. I get the point.. yea actually.. stamina can be regained by giving some good work out to yoa lungs.. but then.. sometimes when I swim, i wonder.. , if this is my stamina after smoking for all these years..what it could've been if I hadnt been a smoker.. :P I would've been a world swimming champ .. good that i did take up smoking. :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jun 05, 2007
i went to a hypnotist. worked brilliantly. no phsycological craving, only physical one for about a week. stopped for 3 years, then started again. went back and had had another session - really works well if you can find a good hypnotist (in dubai) and you are suseptable to hypnotism ... now if only hypnotism can cure my crappy spelling :D
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 05, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:thats some story. But did it really take 5 yrs for u to come out?

Yes indeed :cry:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 11, 2007
Well, it's nearly been 48 hours of non-smoking... early days but going well.

The side effects of cold turkey of course aren't pleasant...

* insomnia
* slight anxiety
* hypertension

but these will subside over the next few days I imagine.

Don't really feel like a cigarette at all, although there are those odd waves every now and then of habit, where you think you should be going for one.

Doing it on detox seems the best way, as there's no coffee to go with the cig and no alcohol to also spark up the temptation.
^ian^

Jun 11, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
* insomnia
* slight anxiety
* hypertension

I've got that and haven't even quit!

Good luck.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Well, it's nearly been 48 hours of non-smoking... early days but going well.

The side effects of cold turkey of course aren't pleasant...

* insomnia
* slight anxiety
* hypertension

but these will subside over the next few days I imagine.

Don't really feel like a cigarette at all, although there are those odd waves every now and then of habit, where you think you should be going for one.

Doing it on detox seems the best way, as there's no coffee to go with the cig and no alcohol to also spark up the temptation.

hmm all the best mate, if u do it, i guess i will jump in and give it a shot as well.:)
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2007
Good going Ian. I'm joining from 13th. :) pa! just 2 more days of smoke . :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat