Best Friends...where From?

Topic locked
Best friends...where from? Feb 07, 2011
I was wondering where you would say your best friend is from (not geographically) but I mean; childhood, school days (teenager), university, work, etc.?

And please don't say "This Forum" unless true.

My best friend is from Uni....(although I have some childhood friends but not same).

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Best friends...where from? Feb 07, 2011
My bestest ever friend!!! is from high school, then we went to university together, then we lived in same building, and now her place is just couple of minutes from mine.

I had other best friends from work or univrsity, but they all left the country and we are not in touch that much, and yes I have a best friend from this forum too(true!).
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Best friends...where from? Feb 07, 2011
I think my best friends stem from the days I spent with the army as an army wife. Squaddies and their wives seem to be a different breed to most. I don't know whether it was the amount of time we spent on our own waiting for our husbands to turn up or what. When I divorced my husband and came back to the UK the people I met at work seemed really strange, they had lived in the same place and had the same job ever since they left school, they seemed so...old. It took a while to settle in but now I've great friends with people I work with, I suppose I'm a bit more normal now, if that's possible.

I've made some great friends since i've been coming to Dubai, too. I love my Mr Emirati! He is a special friend. (Just a friend!) He is very different from western men so took some getting used to, but we understand each other and he now calls me Boss. :D

I'm also big mates with two of my cousins, we lost touch for years as my dad was in the RAF and their dad was in the Police, then they went on to join the Marines. We have rediscovered each other in recent years. They are both in the Police and I think we all have the same outlook because of spending time with the forces.

I put a lot of store by my friends and try to make a big effort to keep in touch. I never do that 'well it's his/her turn to phone me' rubbish.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Best friends...where from? Feb 08, 2011
I met my wife at university.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Is she your best friend FD? Was is you who was buying the sexy shoes before Christmas? I do hope they were for her LOL! Forgive me if I've mixed you up with some other DFer!
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Is she your best friend FD?

Yes.

Bethsmum wrote:Was is you who was buying the sexy shoes before Christmas?

Yes.

Bethsmum wrote:I do hope they were for her LOL!

No, that was for a mutual friend. She got a Bavarian beermaid outfit and some other stuff.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:

Yes.

Yes.

I think the answer to the next question is also YES!

Does your wife read the Forum? :wink:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Flying Dutchman wrote:

Yes.

Yes.

No, that was for a mutual friend. She got a Bavarian beermaid outfit and some other stuff.

LOL FD, a mutual friend! PMSL
How many steins can you wife handle?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:How many steins can you wife handle?

Two at a time.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:How many steins can you wife handle?

Two at a time.

Wonderschon! Ich liebe Octoberfest! Zwei grosse bier bitte! LOL
Bethsmum

My best mate was my neighbour at the end of the garden from the age of about 14 onwards. I was his best man and he was mine. I am godfather to his kids and we are still best mates even though he still lives in the UK and I am in Dubai.

There are some bonds that time and distance can never break.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

I have found that best friends tend to come and go over the years as friendship depends on mutual needs and circumstance.
I've had several that I could fall back in with if the circumstances arise, but the most I do for now is an occasional email, Christmas card or beer when I'm in town.
First there are the best friends during school years that tend to change as you mature and become less naive to the world. You realise that some were not you're best friends after all.
Then you have best friends from tertiary studies etc who you bond with during that arduous and stressful experience of drinking, chasing woman, all whilst trying to pass tough exams.
When I enterred the workforce I met new best friends based on new locations, challenges and needs.
Some of the best friends that I have made have been during low times in my life when things haven't gone to plan or I am outside my comfort zone. I might find a new interest, sport etc, and very soon you have a new best friend in similar circumstances.
This forum is a perfect example of people who are new to Dubai and outside their comfort zone, making new friends.
Obviously everyone here is quite happy with their life at the moment and doesn't feel the need to be nice to anyone or make new friends. :lol: :lol: :lol:
At some point many people get married. They might have children which throw up many new challenges, priorities, and of course new friends.
However, I think once you become married and have children, it is inevitable that single best friends fall by the wayside. Your partner should be your best friend. :pukeright:
Those unlucky enough to end up in divorce meet a heap of new friends as they are thrust back into the singleton community. Two guys crying into their beers is the perfect catalyst for making a best friend.
When your partner dies, you are likely to meet many new friends at retirement homes and possibly re-marry. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Best friends...where from? Feb 09, 2011
I have had many best friends through my life and even though I speak to many of them only occasionally I would still call them my best friends just cos we shared some time together where we really got on or saw eye to eye. On the whole my best friends were gained at unniversity. Overall though I am with FD and Ben and would say that my best friend is my wife.
JoeTGF
Dubai forums Addict

benwj wrote: Your partner should be your best friend. :pukeright:

In my experience ben, it is always a bad move to shag your best mate, it's like shagging your boss. It seems like a good idea at the time..
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:

In my experience ben, it is always a bad move to shag your best mate, it's like shagging your boss. It seems like a good idea at the time..

Thats probably why they say that shagging is the best way to ruin a friendship.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

Never a truer word spoken ben. You can never go back.
Bethsmum

Ambassador wrote:I was wondering where you would say your best friend is from (not geographically) but I mean; childhood, school days (teenager), university, work, etc.?

My best friend is from Uni....(although I have some childhood friends but not same).

My best friend in the world is from high school, though I do still have friends from grade school all through university who I talk to online and see when I'm home visiting.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Around 6 months ago I would have said I had lots off best friends from school, college, work etc but when I was diagnosed with M.S at the age of 25 I really found out who my best friends were, 2 of them only. The rest off them didn't want to know when I stopped going out getting drunk every weekend with them. The expression " you really know who your friends are when things go bad " comes to mind. :bom:
flutterbye
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Best Friends...where From? Feb 09, 2011
Awww flutterbye. So sorry to hear that. But it is so true, you find out who your friends are when you are down and out or in need. But there are lessons in that. Chose your friends wisely!!! There are no guarantees but it does lessen any disappointments that the future may hold. I am also very careful who I am a friend to!!

Hope you are well now. I'm sure you cherish those friends who stuck by you when it got rough.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Best friends...where from? Feb 10, 2011
flutterbye wrote:Around 6 months ago I would have said I had lots off best friends from school, college, work etc but when I was diagnosed with M.S at the age of 25 I really found out who my best friends were, 2 of them only. The rest off them didn't want to know when I stopped going out getting drunk every weekend with them. The expression " you really know who your friends are when things go bad " comes to mind. :bom:

That's a tough tale to read. The only thing I can say is you're better off without them. Hope things are improving for you.
Bethsmum

Ambassador wrote:I was wondering where you would say your best friend is from (not geographically) but I mean; childhood, school days (teenager), university, work, etc.?

I read this post and I began to count, I ultimately narrowed down the friendship criterion to one factor, should I get hitched tomorrow who among them would be my best man.
Now it's nearly impossible to maintain a relationship dating back to ur school days. Practically everybody I knw from school and uni are busy hopping continents. No matter how fond (as since we were guys an apt term would be scandalous) the memories, maintaining a sustainable relationship or a friendship becomes quite a task. I tend to nurture relationships as i move along. Which kinda suits my persona rather well, cos my best man list at this point in time is rather long. :D Now all I need a lady :lol:

PS why not the forum. I've a good thing going on here, or must I say with member(s)??

-- Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:44 am --

Bethsmum wrote:
benwj wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:

Never a truer word spoken ben. You can never go back.

Advice noted down and registered!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

flutterbye wrote:Around 6 months ago I would have said I had lots off best friends from school, college, work etc but when I was diagnosed with M.S at the age of 25 I really found out who my best friends were, 2 of them only. The rest off them didn't want to know when I stopped going out getting drunk every weekend with them. The expression " you really know who your friends are when things go bad " comes to mind. :bom:

So true! I'm glad you have those 2 good friends, and for sure you'll meet new friends who look for a deeper bond with you than just as a drinking buddy. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Best Friends...where From? Feb 10, 2011
Unfortunately my best friend and I have pretty much parted ways after about 20 years. We met at a restaurant we both worked at years ago, and were tight ever since, even with all my travels and time away, we always picked up where we left off. He did not support my move to Dubai and utterly refused to help my wife with the logistics (this, after me already being here, and him saying not to worry). He just rang me one day and said that he would not help me in "ruining my life". After much discussion, it came to light that he was jealous of my lifestyle and accomplishments as was afraid of being stuck at home in small town BC with only his family. The relationship was never repaired, and when we talk, there is always the elephant in the room.

Fortunately through this forum, I met his replacement, and through a degree or two of separation, I have a great group of friends in Dubai. The friendships I made in Dubai are the only thing I will miss when the wife and I leave.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Best Friends...where From? Feb 10, 2011
I've been blessed with many friends and would be unfair to single out one over the other. But If I were to choose the longest friendship and I guess the "best" I have is with a dude I met when I was just 4 and both us of still live here. When we were small our mums would always make noise because we spent too much time at each others place. So at the age of 12/13 we devised a plan and by that I had moved much closer to his place and now my mum was missing her old neighbours and didn't have any friends in the new area. So we hooked our mums up ! And they instantly hit it off and very soon our families also became friends and our relationship progessed from just being friends to family friends. This helped out a lot, we could hang out at each pthers places how often and as long as we wanted and our folks would not be worried about it. His mum god bless her sole was also an amazing woman and looked after me just like one of her own.

His place was awesome, they owned their own house a villa with like seven bedrooms, his dad had passed away when he was still small, so there were now 7 brothers, all cool dudes even the younger ones with only their mum in the house.

So you can imagine what it was like, a huge man cave ! One room was fully kitted out with keyboards, Amps, mixers, Turntables orginal Technics SL's ( DD will appriciate that ) and even a full size accoustic drum kit. One room was a gym. One room was fitted out with an attic which had a firemans pole to come down from. We hung out so much toghter and I was at his place so much that people started to think I was one of the brothers ! Freakishly we even started to look like each other. Many time complete strangers would ask us if we were. I also remember a gentle was surprised when we said we wern't and blessed us saying that he hadn't even seen brothers that were this close.

The friendship stayed solid through our teenage years aswell and had some of the best times of our lives. Camping, wadi bashing etc etc thats where I basically got my passion for my outdoors- ness. Later on I helped him get married aswell, as both the families were against the union and pretty much took around two years of "negotiations" to make it happen. Finally we had to resort to some serious sneakyness to make it happen.

In the mid 90's tragedy struck and his mom passed away and I literally had to move into his house as he would not let me leave. I think it was a couple of weeks later I was "allowed" to go home and although I have never tought of it much other than just being there for someone but even today he will bring it up and says that he can never forget what I did for him then and that was the time that from friends, we became brothers.

Later on he moved to the US where he had his first son and I was so upset that I was not there for it, then he moved to Canada but later moved back to the UAE

But after him moving abroad and me getting really caught up in a line of work that really leaves no time for anything personal outside of work, we have drifted apart and gone our sperate ways in the sense that although we live 10 mins from each others place now but hardly talk or get toghter but the friendship is there and when ever we meet or talk there is no "elephant" in the room and its all good and I know and he knows that we can still count on each other when and where it really matters. But right now we are far from being the best friends like we were in the past. Now I guess now we really are brothers.

During all this time I've made many more friends ( I make friends easy ) but not more than a couple I would like to call "best friends" most fit into the good friend category. Also have to agree with flutterbye about its really the hard times that seperate the wheat from the chaff. In the recent hard times a lot old and good friends have shown their true colours specially a few I'd thought were really my mates.On a postive note though a lot new people have stepped in and gone out of their way to help and show support when they really didn't have to. So I guess it all balances out.

Cheers

P.S : Oh crap its turned out into one of those really looong posts again !
desertdudeshj

Re: Best Friends...where From? Feb 11, 2011
dubaidog wrote:Unfortunately my best friend and I have pretty much parted ways after about 20 years. We met at a restaurant we both worked at years ago, and were tight ever since, even with all my travels and time away, we always picked up where we left off. He did not support my move to Dubai and utterly refused to help my wife with the logistics (this, after me already being here, and him saying not to worry). He just rang me one day and said that he would not help me in "ruining my life". After much discussion, it came to light that he was jealous of my lifestyle and accomplishments as was afraid of being stuck at home in small town BC with only his family. The relationship was never repaired, and when we talk, there is always the elephant in the room.

Fortunately through this forum, I met his replacement, and through a degree or two of separation, I have a great group of friends in Dubai. The friendships I made in Dubai are the only thing I will miss when the wife and I leave.

I've had the same problem DD, but it isn't my best friend but rather a family member who is jealous. Not a good situation. We'll see how it all pans out when I move back home. :(
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Best friends...where from? Feb 11, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:

Yes.

Yes.

Pls excuse me FD? I can't refrain myself from asking this question..Are you practising an "open marriage" on mutual agreement?
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Berrin wrote:Pls excuse me FD? I can't refrain myself from asking this question..Are you practising an "open marriage" on mutual agreement?

I am not allowed, she is. I may only watch.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

But you talk as if you too allowed...
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Berrin wrote:Pls excuse me FD? I can't refrain myself from asking this question..Are you practising an "open marriage" on mutual agreement?

I am not allowed, she is. I may only watch.

Well well FD! You will have DDS's tongue hanging out at that statement! :lol:
Bethsmum

Re: Best Friends...where From? Feb 13, 2011
I have lived in 4 different neighbhourhoods and studied in 5 different schools, and 3 different universities. Thus I have had many good friends from all around that I ended up having good networks in many places, and I'm still on very good terms with all of them. I like to socialise in general.

However, my best friend overall was actually my colleague at college. For a moment I thought I woudn't click with him as I thought he was "toomuch" in sense of strict principles of life, but later on experiences in life helped me visualise his character correctly. I studied the same major at uni and shared all the ups&downs of acadamia, we lived in the same hostel and shared a lot of moments, we travelled for work & pleasure together, we attended many conferences together, we work in the same discipline, we had a lot of debates as we slightly have different views, we share each other's personal matters and advice each other.

Pure friendship is noble indeed!
The best feature of a friendship is that you realise you don't have to be blood-related in order to have a brother, whom you can freely share stuff with that you -sometimes- can't with blood-related ones.

My best friend have went through such a hard time with extreme injustice, and I literaly tried my best to help him, but sometimes its just helpless.
I promised him that someday I'll write a book about his life story, and will name it after him.
symmetric
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat