Is It Du-bay Or Du-bye

Topic locked
Is it Du-bay or Du-bye Nov 22, 2010
what's the correct pronunciation in Arabic? I believe it's the first, correct me if I'm wrong.

brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Is it Du-bay or Du-bye Nov 22, 2010
brucebanner wrote:what's the correct pronunciation in Arabic? I believe it's the first, correct me if I'm wrong.

Du-nt know :)
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

neither ones, you pronounce "Gud Bye"
capsicum
BANNED

Re: Is It Du-bay Or Du-bye Nov 22, 2010
The actual native pronunciation is "ed-bai"

the "e" being very short...

However, non-natives can pronounce it "Du-bye"
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

ed bai ? Where did you get that from ?

Or were you trying to say De bai, then you were correct.

The Emarati pronouciation as heard being said by Emaratis also varies a bit by bit
But the closet you can get in wrting it in English would be De-Bai, without much break for the syllables infact said as one word and pretty fast. The E with a little hint of U as well

Do-Buy is the anglicised pronounciation
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:ed bai ? Where did you get that from ?

The Emarati pronouciation as heard being said by Emaratis also varies a bit by bit
But the closet you can get in wrting it in English would be De-Bai, without much break for the syllables infact said as one word and pretty fast. The E with a little hint of U as well

I think, someone needs to put the diacritical marks (in the Arabic word) to make it less ambiguous. I still think it's pronounced Du-bay (Doobay). It's just not possible to say the Dubai in Arabic, at least according to what I studied. I'm beginning to wonder who decided to first spell it as Dubai instead of Dubay.
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Well if think its pronouced Du bay ( Doobay, that would be an Indian surname spelt Dube or Dubey ), then you think wrong. Dubai is the closet you can get to it in English.

On second thought Dub-i, would be a more closer pronoucitaion, but still spelt Dubai is perfectly fine.

Like Gye-Tex anyone who has been here since the first Gitex knows it was called G-tex from day 1 and not gye-tex :D
desertdudeshj

At least someone agrees with me. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bur_Dubai. How does one even make the bye/buy sound in Arabic given the the position of the letters in the word. My Arabic knowledge is limited, but still I don't think it's even possible. It should be spelt Dubay. I always get puzzled looks from people when I pronounce it correctly.

Bur Dubai (in Arabic: بر دبي , bar dubay)
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

When is Bar Dubay opening?

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Knight
Dubai Knight

brucebanner wrote:At least someone agrees with me. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bur_Dubai. How does one even make the bye/buy sound in Arabic given the the position of the letters in the word. My Arabic knowledge is limited, but still I don't think it's even possible. It should be spelt Dubay. I always get puzzled looks from people when I pronounce it correctly.

Bur Dubai (in Arabic: بر دبي , bar dubay)

Well what you think and what is are two different things, now arn't they.

First few seconds of this video should give you an idea

desertdudeshj

Re: Is It Du-bay Or Du-bye Nov 23, 2010

Listen carefully when 2 Dubai natives speak, they dont say "nehna fi dubye", rather "nehna fi'd bye".

Similarly Mohammed is pronounced "em-hammed", and Hussain as "ehsain" rather than "hoo-sain"

The initial "e" is very short so its ano always apparent to non native speakers.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

in Arabic proper - which is what I presume they speak on anything of a formal nature, TV, etc. - it can only be pronounced Dubay, I believe. If you referring to how you'd pronounce in it colloquial Arabic then I don't know.
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

brucebanner wrote:in Arabic proper - which is what I presume they speak on anything of a formal nature, TV, etc. - it can only be pronounced Dubay, I believe. If you referring to how you'd pronounce in it colloquial Arabic then I don't know.

Even in Arabic proper, it is Du bye, not Du bay
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:
brucebanner wrote:in Arabic proper - which is what I presume they speak on anything of a formal nature, TV, etc. - it can only be pronounced Dubay, I believe. If you referring to how you'd pronounce in it colloquial Arabic then I don't know.

Even in Arabic proper, it is Du bye, not Du bay

Write the word out with the diacritical marks please.
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

BlackburnRovers wrote:

Listen carefully when 2 Dubai natives speak, they dont say "nehna fi dubye", rather "nehna fi'd bye".

Similarly Mohammed is pronounced "em-hammed", and Hussain as "ehsain" rather than "hoo-sain"

Not trying to pe pedantic here but there is no E anywhere More like a muting of the first sylablle . Your perfectly corrrect with your first example. But thats more with the general melody of the Emarati accent. Like its not ehammed. Its mHammed

I speak decent Emarati and have the accent dead on :mrgreen: Although I am losing it with hanging out a lot with my Morrocan friend and recent lack of contact with my Emarati ones :? . The E your talking of somewhat comes in play for many words when spreaking and kind of like connecting words and "Mujood fil e'Bait" or "wara e'binaya"

Like the A in English. Wat 'cha doing. where ya going etc etc. Nobody says what are you doing. Where are you going. Although written this way but hardly spoken like that. Like Galum when its written Kalam in Arabic and so on and so forth.
desertdudeshj

Re: Is it Du-bay or Du-bye Nov 26, 2010
capsicum wrote:neither ones, you pronounce "Gud Bye"

LOL hahaha
aBloke
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat