Are You A Geek?

Topic locked
are you a geek? Aug 08, 2006
seriously, are you? lol, are you a gadgets fanatic? no seriously, is it wrong nowadays to be a geek? since the richest man alive is a geek Mr.Gates .. and since nowadays alot of geeks are celebrities, such as Fatal1ty, the dudes who created google...

Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
ru Hiya?

(did you see how I used geek-speak there! :lol: )

[PS, yes, I'm a geek and I'm proud of it - but don't tell anyone :) ]
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: are you a geek? Aug 08, 2006
Rami wrote:seriously, are you? lol, are you a gadgets fanatic? no seriously, is it wrong nowadays to be a geek? since the richest man alive is a geek Mr.Gates .. and since nowadays alot of geeks are celebrities, such as Fatal1ty, the dudes who created google...

Rami,

What exactly defines you as a geek??
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2006
Being a geek is simply not enough.

Besides, Bill Gates might have been a geek in his time but the world has caught up. Anyone can code an operating system these days.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: are you a geek? Aug 08, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
Rami wrote:seriously, are you? lol, are you a gadgets fanatic? no seriously, is it wrong nowadays to be a geek? since the richest man alive is a geek Mr.Gates .. and since nowadays alot of geeks are celebrities, such as Fatal1ty, the dudes who created google...

Rami,

What exactly defines you as a geek??

defines me as a geek? or defines a geek? for me, i'm not really a geek, but a geek for me in simple words -no offence lol- a nerd who's so shy to face the real world so he creates his virtual reality and get stock in it, and most of the images we see on TV for geeks is kinda true MOST not all, but still, geeks are the moving force beyond inventions made nowadays, napster, google, windows...etc.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Being a geek is simply not enough.

Besides, Bill Gates might have been a geek in his time but the world has caught up. Anyone can code an operating system these days.

i can't :roll: ! unless ofcourse you are talking about modifying linux packages that are 100% under GNU -General Public License-.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
shafique wrote:ru Hiya?

(did you see how I used geek-speak there! :lol: )

[PS, yes, I'm a geek and I'm proud of it - but don't tell anyone :) ]

lol, cool to know so, but who's Hiya please :S? it's like the third time someone says "Like Hiya posts" or what so ever!
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
Rami wrote:
^ian^ wrote:Being a geek is simply not enough.

i can't :roll: ! unless ofcourse you are talking about modifying linux packages that are 100% under GNU -General Public License-.

See and geeks don't have a sense of humour, which is possibly why the world is going up the crapper.
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
I heard that geeks rule the world.....
Think Bill Gates was before his time, and thus now has the world by the TAIL!!! Guess I'm not a geek.
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 08, 2006
LOL, good one, dude, come on, when you are bored enough to dry your brain cells to death, anything is ok! i've been reading ebooks about ebooks! so imagine how bored i am, DF is exactly like Dubai it self, crazy mixture of people, and it's so exotic to the level of an 80s movie, anyways, ^ian^, you are not funny, die.
--
dubai girl wrote:
I heard that geeks rule the world.....
Think Bill Gates was before his time, and thus now has the world by the TAIL!!! Guess I'm not a geek.

nothing wrong with being a geek, you'll get alot of money, and for me, i think female geeks are hot lol.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
Rami wrote:L^ian^, you are not funny, die.

Get lost geek.
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
LOL, ok no problem i will.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
I admit that geeky people have been responsible for technological inventions such as Windows, The Internet and Google, but in all honesty, our reliance on these things has cost us plenty in terms of innovation.

These days people think innovation is coming up with a groovy website that does something (or better, nothing), and it's driving people to distraction.

Literacy levels are at their all time low. Human beings as a general populous are the dumbest they've ever been. Plenty of geeks are clueless noobs who know nothing except the superficial stuff. They just like technology, and they like how it makes their lives easier.

The human race has lost a good portion of its ability to think, because nobody apparently needs to think anymore, because we have Google and Wikipedia.
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
ian, what you wrote was right, i agree.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
Rami wrote:ian, what you wrote was right,

That's why I wrote it.
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
yeah i know you are a genius, i can tell, but seriously now, are you a geek? i guess yeah, tsok tsok tsok.
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
Rami wrote:yeah i know you are a genius, i can tell, but seriously now, are you a geek? i guess yeah, tsok tsok tsok.

Whilst I have geekish tendencies (for example, I own a PDA and not only do I know what a cantenna is, I've built one) I doubt I could be classified as a true geek, quite simply because I'm good at sports (or was).
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
i love having technology, but i love the technology that i can really use, for example, i will never by a GPS device, cuz i can buy a symbian phone and i can use it as a GPS device as well, i'm not a geek because i don't really care to learn hard programming languages or whatever, but i have to write codes for my work, i started in here -uae- before three months as a secretary, even though i studied advanced business management and e-commerce, so i told my manager that i can design a database for the company that could be accessed via the intranet - not internet i didn't spell it wrong :P - and after i did, i'm the IT supervisor and that came in less than the useual 6 months, what i mean, today, if you can't cope with the fast moving world of IT, you'll be left behind, wayyyyy behind, don't you agree?
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
Rami wrote:i love having technology, but i love the technology that i can really use, for example, i will never by a GPS device, cuz i can buy a symbian phone and i can use it as a GPS device as well,

Where I would use a street directory or memorise the map.

i'm not a geek because i don't really care to learn hard programming languages or whatever,

I see that more of a nerd thing, not a geek thing. A nerd to me is a geek with a lot of knowledge. In a lot of ways, a geek is someone who likes techy things but doesn't necessarily know how they work.

what i mean, today, if you can't cope with the fast moving world of IT, you'll be left behind, wayyyyy behind, don't you agree?

More to the point I don't care. I'm seriously thinking of being a luddite as my new hobby.
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
hahaha long time since i met a one :P ok
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
It's official, I am not a geek. :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2006
why you are so sure about it :P
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
Rami wrote:why you are so sure about it :P

Because I understand almost nothing you are talking about :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 08, 2006
LOL, so it makes me the only geek in here, weird lol, and i thought i was normal
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
Can we conclude that geeks are not stupid?

If so then whoever's stupid are not geeks? :idea:

Then what would you prefer to be? stupid? or geek? :roll:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 08, 2006
zam wrote:Can we conclude that geeks are not stupid?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 08, 2006
Ian

when the new rail system is complete in DXB will you be out there every day making notes of the engine numbers??

(with a anorak on obviously) ???

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang

Aug 08, 2006
zam wrote:Can we conclude that geeks are not stupid?

lol, good question really, geek ofcourse 8)
Rami
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 08, 2006
arniegang wrote:Ian

when the new rail system is complete in DXB will you be out there every day making notes of the engine numbers??

Maybe. It's a bit hot here for an anorak though.
^ian^

Aug 08, 2006
arniegang wrote:Ian

I will, I will
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat