Ajman - Like The Tropics

Topic locked
Ajman - like the tropics Aug 20, 2006
I went to Ajman for the weekend, and it was Fab!
Lovely beaches, the hotel had bowling, pool tables, and a bar at the pool.

I highly recommend it if you want to go and chill. Also tried that Ayurvedic treatment of hot oil on the forehead, and after leaving went to the hole in the wall - felt very naughty like I was buying ganja or something :D

scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Ajman - like the tropics Aug 20, 2006
scarlet wrote:I went to Ajman for the weekend, and it was Fab!

I highly recommend it if you want to go and chill. Also tried that Ayurvedic treatment of hot oil on the forehead, and after leaving went to the hole in the wall - felt very naughty like I was buying ganja or something :D

Ajman can be real nice and laid back.

Then to the Hole in the Wall, and back to Dubai, this is so risky, driving back through Sharjah, a real no no.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The ayurvedic treatment u took is called shirodhara :)
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

sage & onion wrote:

Then to the Hole in the Wall, and back to Dubai, this is so risky, driving back through Sharjah, a real no no.

I know I didn't want to go in - but my partner made me do it :)
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

scarlet wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

What a bad man!
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^ian^ wrote:
scarlet wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

What a bad man!

This is actually one of my pet subjects, because I hate to see people just throwing everything away, its not that I am against a drink, I like a glass as much as anyone.

Here are a couple of examples;
Guy goes to Ajman Hole in the Wall, purchases his stock for the Month and drives back to Dubai, gets into an accident, in Sharjah, nothing serious, however due to the bump a bottle broke in the boot. When the Police arrived, they smelt it and searched the car.
Result, the guy was jailed, and eventually deported, never to return.

Guy and Gal (Partners not married) go to Khorfakhan (a part of Sharjah) for a nice weekend, stay in a hotel, for some reason the Manager called the Police and reported that he thought they were not married. Police came along, questioned the couple who admitted that they shared an apartment in Dubai for the past 4 years, however they were not married.
Result, they were both jailed for 6 months and then deported never to return.

Now you tell me, is it worth it???????
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
This is actually one of my pet subjects, because I hate to see people just throwing everything away, its not that I am against a drink, I like a glass as much as anyone.

Everything in moderation.

Here are a couple of examples;
Guy goes to Ajman Hole in the Wall, purchases his stock for the Month and drives back to Dubai, gets into an accident, in Sharjah, nothing serious, however due to the bump a bottle broke in the boot. When the Police arrived, they smelt it and searched the car.
Result, the guy was jailed, and eventually deported, never to return.

Unfortunate but some effort could be made to reduce the risk, like jumping out of an aeroplane, make sure your chute is packed properly, and always pack your own chute.

If you're going to do this (and I'm in no way condonding it) reduce your risk by:

(1) Don't overdo it, a bottle, maybe 3 at the most.
(2) Pack them tightly, securely and obscurely. If you can bury them at the bottom of your luggage surrounded by underwear, or somewhere else in your car that is going to be safe, cosy and bump resistant.
(3) Take it easy through Sharjah, and don't necessarily take the main route.
(4) Avoid being followed and remove obvious evidence. i.e. dispose of the blue bags they give you which kind of transmit "I have alcohol!" and take it easy leaving Ajman.
(5) In the event of having a bingle - remain calm and relaxed and act like its no big deal.
(6) Don't do the drive specifically to go to the hole in the wall - if you look like someone who just spent a weekend in the Kempinski, it looks less suspicious, plus the Kempinski is a nice hotel.
(7) Be alert, but not alarmed. Drive carefully.

It of course would be easier to get a liquor licence.

Guy and Gal (Partners not married) go to Khorfakhan (a part of Sharjah) for a nice weekend, stay in a hotel, for some reason the Manager called the Police and reported that he thought they were not married. Police came along, questioned the couple who admitted that they shared an apartment in Dubai for the past 4 years, however they were not married.
Now you tell me, is it worth it???????

I would never stay in Sharjah as an unmarried couple. Still, lots of stories are FOAF stuff.
^ian^

[quote="sage & onion

Now you tell me, is it worth it???????[/quote]

Why would anyone go to Sharjah for the weekend!!???!!
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

scarlet wrote:

for a good falafel sandwich
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

are u serious ajman is total bull like a village or something,
kempinski is the only place over there like a oasis in the desert
xibit
Dubai forums Addict

MaaaD wrote:
scarlet wrote:

for a good falafel sandwich

ooh ooh there is a place called kalha and they make the best falafel and foul ever ...hmmm heaven :P
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

xibit wrote:

are u serious ajman is total bull like a village or something,
kempinski is the only place over there like a oasis in the desert

That is probably where she went.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 20, 2006
OK, lots of rumours and apochryphal stories regarding the transportation of the grape and malt based beverages through Sharjah...many unfounded.

You can in fact get a drink in Sharjah at the Wanderers Rugby Club and the tolerance level has improved over the last few years. The police tend to turn a blind eye to westerners and they are very aware of the number who make the regular trip to Ajman or the Barracuda in Umm Al Quwain.

Where the problems start is if you are obviously carrying large quantities, which could be construed as for onward re-sale rather than for personal consumption, and suspension dragging itself along the ground tends to be a bit of a giveaway!

There are some unscrupulous individuals who have been known to follow people from the hole-in-the-wall, contrive to have a minor accident and then demand a large sum of money in return for not calling the police and therefore risking discovery. I personally know of one case of this, however the two little men made the mistake of attempting to blackmail a rather substantial ex South African Special Forces security operative. The gentlemen in question are making a speedy recovery in Zahra Hospital!

It is safer and faster to take the Emirates Road...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Aug 20, 2006
Try the Le Meridian Aqua beach Resort in Fujeriah, stunning hotel and a very nice drive to get to it.

Thye have a summer special on at the minute.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 20, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Try the Le Meridian Aqua beach Resort in Fujeriah, stunning hotel and a very nice drive to get to it.

yeah? what s the offer , i have a group of friends who are bored .".arent we all " so it might be a nice change
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 20, 2006
I stay now 2 years in Sharjah in the first six month together with my girlfriend ( now we are married) I heard a lot of storys but till now I never have any problems and I don't know even one who get problems in Sharjah.
fritz7110
Dubai Forum User

Aug 20, 2006
Corcovado wrote:
yorky500 wrote:Try the Le Meridian Aqua beach Resort in Fujeriah, stunning hotel and a very nice drive to get to it.

yeah? what s the offer , i have a group of friends who are bored .".arent we all " so it might be a nice change

Well, when we went in the middle of July, it was Dhs949 (taxes incl) per night, incl of breakfast and either lunch or dinner.

Its still relatively expensive. :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 20, 2006
yorky i dont think thats an offer dude, that was there price when i went there in March.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2006
we have tried to book numerous times, and every time I have been quoted Dhs1100 for a night only!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat