Airport Pick-ups

Topic locked
Airport pick-ups Oct 18, 2011
I notice that some peopke have the custom of dropping- off or picking-up relatives/friends from airport. Do you?

Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Airport pick-ups Oct 18, 2011
Well Ambassador, I'm not mainly resident in Dubai but I do sometimes hire a car when I'm on holiday. It depends on how brave I'm feeling.

If I have a car I do go and meet my friends/family who are coming to join me. I quite like being the meeter and greeter! I don't usually have to hold up a piece of cardboard with their names on though as I tend to recognise them.

When they are leaving I would normally just let them get a taxi. I always find it's a bit of a rush when you get to the airport and with it being so busy, everyone gets a bit stressed and I'd rather say goodbye at home and let the taxi driver take the strain.

My cousin and his girlfriend came to visit me once when I was in residence. They stayed behind for a few days after I left. We went out for a farewell meal and I left it a bit late to get to the airport before the check in desk closed. I drove myself as I had to drop the car at Budget. On my approach to the airport it was so busy that I missed the turn off. I wasn't that familiar with the roads at that time. I carried on thinking there would be another turn off and then I went into panic mode. I finally picked up the Airport signs and put my foot down. When I arrived at my destination, it didn't seem all that familiar :?
It suddenly dawned on me that I was at Sharjah airport. Don't ask me how I managed that but I did.
I went into bigger manic mode and eventually got my trusty Toyota turned in the right direction and headed back to Dubai.
I made it just in time but incurred 3 speeding fines which I had a feeling I might get as these lights kept flashing me as I was overtaking the locals. I think it's called radar.
I threw the keys to the car at the Budget man and reached the desk just as it was closing.
That was a bit stressful for me. I have decided I prefer the taxi.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bit of a strange question, I of course prefer to let them strugle to get a taxi or bus whilst I relax at home!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:Bit of a strange question, I of course prefer to let them strugle to get a taxi or bus whilst I relax at home!!!!

Not a strange question at all. I have nerver picked-up or dropped-off anyone at the airport nor do I know anyone who does it regularly. That is what taxis are for (provided one lives in a place where a taxi is readily available).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Airport pick-ups Oct 19, 2011
You could get the relis to fly business with Emirates then they'd get a chauffeur driven limo. It's free.
Bethsmum

Re: Airport Pick-ups Oct 19, 2011
No need for me to drop/pick up hubby when Emirates is there to do it for me. :D I don't mind picking up or dropping off people who will be staying with me. If they are going to stay in a hotel - then I leave them to find their own way getting there and back to the airport.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Taxis???? drop offs?????

I thought that was part of the Emirates services to provide?
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

spellcheckergirl wrote:Taxis???? drop offs?????

Not everybody is as rich as you and Bora, SPG :(
Bethsmum

spellcheckergirl wrote:Taxis???? drop offs?????

You thought incorrectly...%wise.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat