Standard Chartered

Topic locked
standard chartered Apr 19, 2009
Any one looking for a decent bank in the UAE might want to stay clear of std chartered. This lot have got some of the most complicated procedures and con jobs ever !!. few eg their call centers show up with a dubai number but its all outsourced to people in chennai india and they sit and speakto you as if they have a clue whats goin on here!!! If you want to cancel a credit card you have to make a phone request first where the concerned will call you in a few days and try to barter some shifty deal for you to keep the card. After that theyl give you a fax number which they could have given you right from the start. Their staff hound you relentlessly with all sorts of ridiculous loan and easy payment offers upto 3 or 4 calls every day!! They also dont understand what 'NO'means. They charge you with credit sheild but its just a farce as it supposedly protects you only if both your legs break, a punctured lung and brain hemorrage all at the same time!!
Beware people these guys are a shady lot

olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 20, 2009
Arn't most uae banks this way..I can tell you horror stories about HSBC which will make Standard Charter Look like a new born angel
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 20, 2009
As the "cold calls" that I was getting increased I asked that a notation be made on my file that I did not want to receive any promotion calls. Obviously that was ignored. As the calls continued I would interrupt them and ask "Is there a problem with my account", they would reply "No" and I would disconnect the call. Eventually I told the callers that I considered it harrassment as I requested that my name be removed from the call list and if it continued I would report it to the police. Viola, no more calls!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 22, 2009
Standard Chartered is a nightmare!

I requested for cancellation of my credit card in Feb 2007. I paid my outstanding w/ some extra 25 dirhams & later they confirmed that everything's paid. I was surprised to receive bills the following 2 months. This is for Oman insurance which they should have cancelled since card is already cancelled. I refused to pay coz I was previously advised of my final outstanding & it wasnt included so how could they come up with some new charges.

What's more interesting is that their dbase is not updated. The bills were sent to my new company and the threat of taking legal action for non-payment of AED 52 -- sent on my old company.

I phoned standard chartered the same day my friend from old company handed me that notice/letter then I never received any bills after that.

AFTER 2 YEARS [APR. 2009], i received an SMS to settle my outstanding balance. I paid so as to finally cancel my card. Then I received a call saying there's AED 3 shortfall since I paid through UAE Exchange. then I went to the branch itself to pay AED 5 instead.

Then again after 2 days I received call saying I need to pay AED 200+ -- What the hell is this for??? They continuously charge for something I've not used, something I'm totally unaware of -- and worst, I never had the bill for that AED 200+ which I dont know what for.
marie_m
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 22, 2009
hey marie I feel you completely. these guys really are fraudsters... they should really be held responsible for their stupidity. when you inquire they tell you about procedures and policies...... out right daylight robbery... I hope the credit crunch hits them as hard as all the money they rob from hapless individuals....
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list