Never Buy Wood Items From IKEA-Take Extreme Care

Topic locked
never Buy wood items from IKEA-Take extreme care Apr 17, 2008
LILBERG SOFA at IKEA stores

Please please please stop the Lilberg sofa sales & also ban products designed by this desginer.The 3 seater sofa gets into my nerves!! Not even 2 years.....since I purchased it.It first broke on the 3rd month! The bottom wooden planks connected using the stupid small holes(The worst design i have ever seen) cracked & broke.Again it broke after 6 months.. all of a sudden ( 3 planks under the seat lost).i was so embarrased that my guests fell down while sitting on it.It was really , really embarrasing !!.I manged with a small thin wood sheet spread underneath the cushoins.Today..it's all gone...!! I fell sitting on it with my 9 months old baby...Fixing back the wooden planks between the tiny stupid holes is a nightmare!!
When I complained about this an year ago at the local IKEA store ( festival city-Dubai-UAE), they gave me an irresponsible answer and asked me to fix it on my own using a carpenter.

I felt like throwing the sofa out of my balcony.But controlled myself as I havei spent money to buy this.So I'm forcing the sofa to survive little more to justify the cost I spent on this pathetic sofa.

Please convey my dissapointment to the pity designer who designed this ( i regret calling the person a designer).

Please think twice, check thrice before you buy a wooden item from IKEA.The costliest wooden item doesn't mean that it is the best quality.It may be the worst quality too!!! the quality check AD from IKEA is just an eye wash.Majority of the products are inferior & cheap in quality.Some normal cheap items i bought from Karama shops are very good & good going!! never fall for brand names...

kingkong
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 22, 2008
Agreed!
My bed breaks all the time. Piece of junk!
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

May 01, 2008
maximusprime wrote:Agreed!
My bed breaks all the time. Piece of junk!

Yes...thats the right word!!..
Piece of Junk!!!
kingkong
Dubai Forums Member

My Bed gone too!!! May 17, 2008
The very famously advertised..SULTAN HOGO matress is just an eye wash.Horrible, this bed gives me a back ache now.Its uneven & I hope springs are gone inside.

IKEA is shameless to advertise this bed as extremely tested & also its other wood products .SHame on you IKEA.....
kingkong
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 02, 2008
Always remember IKEA sells "fashion furniture", buy it , use it once or twice, replace it with the latest fashion. Not meant for constant use, just to look pretty and make you one of the in fashion crowd for a short while ...

H
heinvdm
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 20, 2008
Who the heck buys everyday furniture from Ikea? Its all just gimic advertisement aimed at the "cost minded" consumer. And here where you could go to other half decent furniture stores and pay practically the same amount of money for better quality stuff why would you waste your time or dhs on it?

I'd go for the cheap ass 'grilled' salmon, but thats about it.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 25, 2008
I used to buy most of my furniture from karama shops, never had a problem whatsoever with the quality, not a single thing broke or had to be replaced, you just need a good eye for quality
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 02, 2008
Ikea does sell good chocolates and kitchenware :)
iambanned
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 23, 2008
never had ANY problems with ikea furniture through all the years.
and i am not the lightest person...

at the end you always get what you pay for.
so if unhappy simply don't buy at ikea. but saying it's rubbish in general is a bit harsh and most of all wrong...

i strongly agree on the chocolate!
the_falkster
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 24, 2008
Dime bars! Yummy!

Baby Armadilloes...just soft on the outside and crunchy on the inside!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 18, 2008
Dubai Knight wrote:Dime bars! Yummy!

Baby Armadilloes...just soft on the outside and crunchy on the inside!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kingkong
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 31, 2009
he ment the wood is rubbish ..and i agree ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 12, 2009
Hi,

what would you like for the price?
denicka
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 09, 2009
Seriously Ikea stuff is ridiculously bad. It's mostly particle wood glued onto some shiny plastic crap to make it look good. Small items for decoration may be okay from there. But anything that you actually want to last will not do. I second the opinion on the furniture shops in Karama. They are cheap and the quality is very decent.
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 13, 2009
wood-shavings glued together by saliva. but they're ridiculously cheap
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 23, 2009
This discussion is interesting.

I'm from Sweden, and over there lots, and I mean LOTS, of my friends only have IKEA furniture.

Okey, a sofa lasts for 5 years...not 15. But what sofa is still in fashion after 15 years, as somebody said? Or who doesn't change apartment in 15 years?
I would say that IKEA is the perfect furniture in the UAE, you come here, live here a few years and then throw it.

And also, times change. My mother has a sofa in her living room from IKEA, bought in the 50's. Of course it looks like h*ll to me because of old fashioned design, but it is still fine to sit in.

What product you buy today is made to last more than ten years? Camera? Car? Sound system?
All over the world the quality has decreased, not only in the furniture industry...
Christofer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 24, 2009
You are absolutely right Christofer. I feel the same way.
If you really want quality, you simply don't go buy it at IKEA. For an expat that has a few years to go, its aint bad. Good pricing. Decent instructions and good materials. Also you can return items that are bad, at least in Europe we can.

IKEA is Thé solution for expats. Don't moan too much cheeky turds out there!

Go pay 5000 Dirhams for a decent couch then I would say. Right Christofer? Thats what I'm talking about. 8)
RobbyG

Mar 29, 2009
Only a homosexual would know whether a sofa, of all things, is out of style or not. Even women don't care about such things. Making excuses for crap furniture is just sad, when there are antique furniture that has lasted half a decade. Heck, my sofa is 20 years old and still going good. And yes, in Dubai, many IKEA sofas reach Dhs 5000 or more.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 30, 2009
Pankaj wrote:Only a homosexual would know

LOL.

Also I dunno how much IKEA costs abroad but its quite expensive here. Only the stupid things like mugs and mats are reasonably priced there. I do goto IKEA everynow and then but thats only to eat at the caferteria.
desertdudeshj

Mar 30, 2009
To clarify, in my apartment at home I have a full classic Belgian oak furniture line with a leather sofa (real leather, nothing else) which I bought from a friend that is 15 years old and doesn't wear a mark of time due to good production quality.

But, that is as I wrote, at home.

In Dubai you come for a few years, rather than spending 100K AED on furniture you drop 15K at IKEA, wear it out and go home with a load of experience, huge bank account, russian "plastic-is-fantasic" wife or whatever you came here for.

We are still in Dubai, and if somebody who is not originally from here tries to stay forever in a country where you never actually can become a citizen, then I'm sorry but I don't share his path in life...
Christofer
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 06, 2009
Christofer wrote:In Dubai you come for a few years, rather than spending 100K AED on furniture you drop 15K at IKEA, wear it out and go home with a load of experience, huge bank account, russian "plastic-is-fantasic" wife or whatever you came here for...

Bullocks!!! We all came here for an oak-kind flexible swiss husband. Even non-russian ones. FYI.
Leda
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list