Marina Mall - Mistreatment Of Women!

Topic locked
Marina Mall - Mistreatment of women! Jun 30, 2007
At a recent visit to Marina Mall in Abu Dhabit a lady staff was cleaning the parking lot outside.

I think this is totally crap attitude. Making a woman clean in public is totally degrading and a violation of her rights. I am sure there must be UAE laws which prevent women folk from such tasks. If not - this place sucks. Apart from being degrading, it exposes the woman to harassment from public nuisances.

How could the mall even have such gall to mistreat women? Wrote this to Kahleej times. Still waiting for them to print it.

arjun7ue
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 30, 2007
obviously you haven't lived in other countries bro
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 30, 2007
well I have, but the issue about this place is - they make a big fuss about women being treated this and that and occupying a hgh place and they treat other asian women like dirt.
arjun7ue
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 03, 2007
Well, equality and all. But housemaids are treated worse.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 03, 2007
cu
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 04, 2007
I must say I too find it hard to be shocked about this. I grew up in the UK and its quite common to see all races females working as cleaners in public toilets, schools, road sweeping etc (mostly white uk nationals).
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Apr 07, 2009
the media would never print this... u r mistaken... btw, this is nothing... the maids r treaded worse than this...
sunny123
Dubai Forum User

Apr 11, 2009
jabbajabba wrote:I must say I too find it hard to be shocked about this. I grew up in the UK and its quite common to see all races females working as cleaners in public toilets, schools, road sweeping etc (mostly white uk nationals).

I would assume, as such work is done in the US by women, that these people in the UK belong to a union with a respectable salary, benefits, working hours, and proper overtime payment. None of which is provided to the workers here.

And I might add that not all housemaids are treated like rubbish. It happens, but not to the extent it use to happen.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 12, 2009
where did you guys come up with those maids stories ? I'm serious ,I men I'm a local and didn't hear those maids stories. is it a mouth to mouth stories or what ?

don't get me wrong , I would say throw the baster in jail if he miss treat other humans but still can't tell where do you get those stories or where can I read about them, statistics or sources !!
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 13, 2009
UAE kid, there is no shortage of stories about men (locals too) abusing their housemaids.

Anyone who is in Disbelief is disconnected from reality.

Examples:
http://www.migrant-rights.org/category/housemaids/

Further Proof:
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07 ... 07556.html

I rest my case.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Apr 23, 2009
It’s equally sad to see beautiful, smiley, women at all age, wash cars every morning; women that would make the earth move if given the opportunity.. :oops: :(
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 25, 2009
Dude there's something called Dignity in Labour.....
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 16, 2009
Hey wherever there is good, there must also be evil...
MAATC
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 17, 2009
I guess the era of separating work according to sex is over, you expect your story to be published? I have to say that you are very ambitious :)
There are a lot of harsher work that women occupy than cleaning parking lots like for example.. a heavy lorry driver, a drilling engineer in a rural site in the middle of the desert or even of an ocean.. in addition to women in arms :P
We are living in the world of opportunities, stick to what you have got.. :)
Conjurer
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 21, 2009
A job is a job.

Lets say this lady cleaning the parking lot is in need of a job, and that was the only job available. Are you saying they shouldnt give her the job because she is a lady?

If they didnt give her the job - that would be discrimination

Now that they have given her the job - there are no human rights???!?!?!?
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 23, 2009
well a job is a job but women should not and are generally not given jobs where they could be exposed to harassment. a women cleaner has a job that is extremely vulnerable. passersby can make comments, throw things at her and mistreat her. if it is in an all women's environment - still fine - but I dont agree about this case where she is in general public.

Secondly seeing other's posts I think although it may be common in many countries, here it is an extremely rare sight when a women is made to work as a labourer. perhaps its to do with the local culture.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 25, 2009
hamadl wrote:A job is a job.

Lets say this lady cleaning the parking lot is in need of a job, and that was the only job available. Are you saying they shouldnt give her the job because she is a lady?

i totally agree ! :)

if this woman have another available job you would not see her cleaning in public !
Kissy
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 29, 2009
Kissy wrote:

if this woman have another available job you would not see her cleaning in public !

good. so why dont you both start cleaning public roads then.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 30, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
Kissy wrote:

good. so why dont you both start cleaning public roads then.

woow great idea for tan :wink:
Kissy
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 23, 2009
Who are you to say what is fit work for another person? Her being a woman is irrelevant so long as she was free to select this job. Would you prefer she was unemployed? No one has to live by your standards but you, so keep your sexist comments to yourself.
Wakemanjohn
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 26, 2009
I don't really understand this thread.

If this thread is about whether women should be allowed to work cleaning the streets...well..yes. Equality goes both ways. Some men are CEOs and some men are garbage collectors. The same should apply to women. If someone is actually making the point that all office jobs should go to women and all public hard labor should go to men well that's just plain retarded.

If this thread is about the mistreatment of people who clean the roads in general, regardless of sex, then I see the point. These people are underpaid and work in horrible weather with no benefits but this applies to BOTH men and women.

So where does the fact that she is a woman come into this?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 30, 2009
dee7o wrote:I don't really understand this thread.

If this thread is about whether women should be allowed to work cleaning the streets...well..yes. Equality goes both ways. Some men are CEOs and some men are garbage collectors. The same should apply to women. If someone is actually making the point that all office jobs should go to women and all public hard labor should go to men well that's just plain retarded.

If this thread is about the mistreatment of people who clean the roads in general, regardless of love, then I see the point. These people are underpaid and work in horrible weather with no benefits but this applies to BOTH men and women.

So where does the fact that she is a woman come into this?

Both opinions - "for" and "against" are valid. I think the author made his point. You guys should go back to school if you cant understand simple english
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 30, 2009
This is the most ridiculous post I have ever seen! Talk about wanting to send womens issues back into the dark ages. Why shouldn't women also do these jobs? I get outside and wash my car...and......so what?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 06, 2009
I hate ridiculous women/man seperatings..
Yes ofc. we are diffirend but not in thisway...
Only comment that I can make on mall HR admin. is : "GRATZ"

Even Smurfette is working in our village and she is the only one Lady in our village.. :@
Grouchy Smurf
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list