Speed Limit Beeper

Topic locked
Speed limit beeper Nov 01, 2006
hi,

i just had a mitsubishi outlander delivered as my lease car, but it has 1 very annoying feature which is a beeper that goes off when you get to 120KMH.

is there a method of switching this off or a place i could take it ?

i hasten to add i dont want to do this to make my breaking of the speed limit more comfortable, i do not wish to add to dubai's overwhelming list of pathetic, dangerous and in some cases downright psycotic drivers. it is simply for when i am accelerating up to speed on the motorway and i dont like it going off as it is a distraction. if i had wanted to drive fast i would have got an Altima or magna etc.

thanks for any help

T

tomdoun
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 02, 2006
You can get it removed, but depending on the car, it can be only done at the dealership. As you are leasing the car, I do not think they will allow you to do this.

Some cars have flashing light in the dash to indicate speeds in excess of 120km/h, some have a beep that goes off once you hit 120, but then stops after 120, and some have a beeper that goes on continuosly over 120km/h.

its a bit of a joke really, when speed camera's in 120km/h zones are set to flash at 140!
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 02, 2006
just to add to yorky's post I actually think it is by law that there is some sort of warning at when your speed is over 120, but it is silly because the speedlimit is 140 after the 3rd interchange and 160 between Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

I don't know how strict dealers follow it though, I asked mine to remove the beep when I bought the car and they took very little convincing to do it.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 02, 2006
Fayz,

Agree, I asked Honda if i bought a car, could they remove the beeping sound, they said "no problem, that would be Dhs450!" hahahahaha

Also, Jebal Ali is only 140, not 160.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 02, 2006
sorry i should have been more specific, the limit is changed to 160 when you leave the emirate of Dubai, minutes after Jebal Ali, as soon as you are in the emirate of Abu Dhabi you are good to go at 160 until you reach the city of AD as is my understanding.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 03, 2006
thanks guys, i will have a word with the lease company and see what they say. otherwise i will speak to misubishi dealership/garage.

judging by the speed of some cars between the marina and the free zone (work) i see every day, a lot are going well over 160.

why do they set the cameras at 140/160 if the limis is supposed to be 120 ? makes no sense.
tomdoun
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Nov 03, 2006
Its called a sprint, You sprint bertween the camera's and slow down to either 140 or 160 when you get to them.

Also, not all camera's work :wink: :wink:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 03, 2006
Curtosy of Gulf News.

fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 03, 2006
Sieh Shuwaib is the old border crossing no?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 05, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Sieh Shuwaib is the old border crossing no?

Yes i believe so, the speed limit changes just as there is a multinova (radar camera) on the right hand side and from then on all the cameras are rear facing and the road asphalt seems to be made up of a different composition; this is at least how I know I’m in Abu Dhabi.

Btw, nice choice on the avatar, I’m sure you’ll get a reaction.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 05, 2006
Yes, must admit, when i drive down in the fog, sometimes its the only way i know i have hit the Abu dhabi section, by looking at the Tarmac, as the fog is so think, you do not see much on either side of the road. :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 06, 2006
tomdoun wrote:thanks guys, i will have a word with the lease company and see what they say. otherwise i will speak to misubishi dealership/garage.

judging by the speed of some cars between the marina and the free zone (work) i see every day, a lot are going well over 160.

why do they set the cameras at 140/160 if the limis is supposed to be 120 ? makes no sense.

Mate, once you past interchange 2 only 2 cameras are actually on until you reach the emirate of AD - where they start to click at 160 kms/hr.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto