LUMINA SS Vs NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5 S

Topic locked
LUMINA SS vs NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5 S Oct 06, 2006
Need ur help Guys...
I guess Yorky will go for a nissan considering the fact he has a nissan himself...
Plannin to buy one of these asap...

need_for_speed
Dubai Forum Visitor

Lumina SS! Oct 06, 2006
With all due respect to Nissan, I believe that it would not be feasible to compare a Chevy engine with Nissan engine! Two entirely different engine types. Now if you want a car which is not heavy on your pocket in terms of Petrol prices, and a little bit of good performance, than go for Altima 2.5 S, its 187 horsepower In-Line 4 cylinders, quite ideal for family use. On the other hand American Muscle Lumina SS 5.7 litre lagendary V8 Chevy monster engine producing awsome 330 horsepower! Its a performance car basically, if you want to go for coupe version than that's also sporty good, otherwise sedan Lumina SS would be all-rounder. No.1 in performance, comfort, saftey (10 airbags), luxury and good at times you want to take your family out too :wink:

Personally, I would suggest Altima 2.5 S (considering the fuel prices and after sales expenses are raising)

Chevy engine would drink petrol like we drink water :lol:

However if you still want a powerful car and good in its class than go for Altima 3.5 SE! yup its good enough, a DOHC 3.5 litre V6 engine with 257 horsepower! more than enough! trust me you won't be able to drive that fast on Dubai roads as of today :lol:

besides, it'll give you a good resale value too, but the Chevys won't that much....

so my suggestion is either Altima 2.5 S or atmost 3.5 SE!
happy buying :wink:
cheers
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Lumina SS! Oct 07, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:On the other hand American Muscle Lumina SS 5.7 litre lagendary V8 Chevy monster engine producing awsome 330 horsepower!

Ahem... Aussie Muscles :D
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 07, 2006
Lumina SS is a nice car, but it's resale value is poor. I also hear that maintenance is pretty steep on these cars.

Also, I do not think that they have any stock of the SS at the moment. I was there a few weeks ago and they did not have any. Awaiting shipment of the new range. I think the price is around the Dhs120-125K, but i could be wrong.

Altima is a nice car, the 3.5 is a beast. But for cruising, yup, the 2.5. What is the price of the 2.5? have you looked at the new Camry?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 07, 2006
3.5 SE is highest in the Altima line but for a notch above that, you could also try the Altima SE-R
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Oct 07, 2006
nosoup4u wrote:3.5 SE is highest in the Altima line but for a notch above that, you could also try the Altima SE-R

Do we get the SE-R here?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 07, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
nosoup4u wrote:3.5 SE is highest in the Altima line but for a notch above that, you could also try the Altima SE-R

Do we get the SE-R here?

I guess you're of luck buddy. They are not made for the middle east. Just called Arabian Automobiles Sheikh Zayed Rd and Diera showrooms. Rude A**HOLES!

Just seen one Dubai so far.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Lumina SS! Oct 07, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
Salman_20VT wrote:On the other hand American Muscle Lumina SS 5.7 litre lagendary V8 Chevy monster engine producing awsome 330 horsepower!

Ahem... Aussie Muscles :D

lol in terms of technology, body etc yup aussie muscle :lol: but the Luminas (actually Commodore/Holden) coming here with gulf specs are equiped with Chevy V8s, these engines were used in the previous generations of Caprice. But they had a pact with Commodore that the gulf spec car would be equiped with Chevys own 5.7 V8s. Its assembled in Australia thou...the Caprice SS, Lumina SS, Corvettes and Tahoes are actually equiped with original Chevrolet engines here in the UAE. :)

If you see the V8 challenge from GearOne TV you'll see that those V8s are not Luminas but Commodore actually. They look exactly like Luminas thou....i've enquired with Liberty Auto, they said that Chevrolet is devided into two cars (for UAE specs) one is Daewoo and second is Commodore, now the current Caprice and Luminas are Australian Commodores/Holdens except for their engines (engines are genuin Chevy V8 for UAE :lol: ) than coming to lower class...the Epica, Aveo and Spark are Daewoo cars, the name is American only :lol:

only pure 100% American Chevys coming from US to UAE are the Corvette, Tahoe, Trail-Blazer, Savana(truck), Yukons......

About Altima SE-R, yup he's right its not available for UAE! Even the Altima Nismo is banned. The best car at the moment for you to buy is Altima 3.5 SE, from engine to style. Altima will satisfy your need for speed and comfort too lol :lol:
cheers :wink:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 07, 2006
Salman,

If you ever meet XRW, he will say "G'day mate" with an Ausie accent. No point explaining the difference in Lumina/Holden Commonwhore to him.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 07, 2006
Nissan will hold it's value, better service & maintenance

SS is faster, but fuel would be an issue (depending if you have money to spare on a V8), not as good service and value is not all that.....

Depends on what you want, you're taste and you're pocket. :P
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 08, 2006
Hey,
Thankx a lot guys...appreciate it...after a lot of thinking of cars like Accord and Camry..I decided to go for the Altima 2.5S Black having fog lights alloy rims, 6CD changer.
I went for a nissan owing to the fact tht it wud hold a better resale value and wud have better service and maintainance...as chevy wud leave my pockets empty...
Anyways wanted to tell u guys...Have u checked out the autopark feature in crs...Thers a vid of it showing a bmw...damn cool..wait...jus a sec...
[url][/url]
and this is wid the toyota prius
[url][/url]
Thanks again
TC
need_for_speed
Dubai Forum Visitor

Anytime;) Oct 08, 2006
Anytime mate :wink:
Wise decision to go for Altima 2.5S :D
6 CD you said, that's cool....go for the one with alloy rim addition...not the one with plastic cups.
Best of luck, and congrats mate :thumbleft: :blob5:
Salman_20VT
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Lumina SS! Oct 09, 2006
Salman_20VT wrote:lol in terms of technology, body etc yup aussie muscle :lol: but the Luminas (actually Commodore/Holden) coming here with gulf specs are equiped with Chevy V8s, these engines were used in the previous generations of Caprice. But they had a pact with Commodore that the gulf spec car would be equiped with Chevys own 5.7 V8s. Its assembled in Australia thou...the Caprice SS, Lumina SS, Corvettes and Tahoes are actually equiped with original Chevrolet engines here in the UAE. :)

If you see the V8 challenge from GearOne TV you'll see that those V8s are not Luminas but Commodore actually. They look exactly like Luminas thou....i've enquired with Liberty Auto, they said that Chevrolet is devided into two cars (for UAE specs) one is Daewoo and second is Commodore, now the current Caprice and Luminas are Australian Commodores/Holdens except for their engines (engines are genuin Chevy V8 for UAE :lol: ) than coming to lower class...the Epica, Aveo and Spark are Daewoo cars, the name is American only :lol:

only pure 100% American Chevys coming from US to UAE are the Corvette, Tahoe, Trail-Blazer, Savana(truck), Yukons......

In the words of our dearly departed - Crikey!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto