A Good Beginner Bike?

Topic locked
a good beginner bike? Feb 23, 2007
hello all,

i just joined this nice forum. I'm developing a new 'crush' on bikes. So i'm actually thinking of getting a license. the problem is I haven't even tried riding a bike before. I'm thinking of buying a used bike to see if I'm any good at it first before I spend money on the license. So what's a good beginner's bike? my price range is about 4000 AED.

thanks
hornyGT

hornygt
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 24, 2007
Your best bet would be to look in the classifieds of the Gulf News for used bikes.

I'd highly recommend a CBR400RR... but you would need to probably increase your budget by 1-2K.

Else the second best option would be a ZZR400 which is an excellent bike too. Just keep an eye out for smoke from the exhaust, noise from the timing chain and excessive wear on the tyres and chain.
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 25, 2007
From what I've seen I don't know if Dubai is the best place to learn how to ride and get your experience here but if you live, heck you'll not only get to work faster than the rest of us but you'll have the ability to ride most anywhere else in the world :).

I'm really tempted to get my bike license here but I've been too chicken

Good luck.

oh and also check here,

They usually have a couple bikes for sale every time I've looked, mostly located in Bahrain but it'll give you a good price reference at the very least for bikes in the gulf.

http://www.gulfgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 25, 2007
Come on Fayz, get a bike !

... you know you want to ! :wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 26, 2007
KeithL wrote:Come on Fayz, get a bike !

... you know you want to ! :wink:

Everytime I'm stuck in traffic and one flies by me.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 26, 2007
As a learner bike, I would suggest something even smaller maybe a 250cc...cus even a 400cc would have enough power to get you into trouble....Look at something where the BHP is below 50....

These are a few sites where there is a lot of good data to read for beginners

www.totalmotorcycles.com...

Also the dubai sports bike community is quite strong...This is our website

http://biggles.net/forum/index.php?board=20.0

Cheers
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 26, 2007
hey Bikes are cool and all...but do they come with A/C? A CD changer or any safety features...?Remember summer is just around the corner...are you really going to ride that bike in summer? You will melt mate... :lol:
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 26, 2007
V-Man wrote:hey Bikes are cool and all...but do they come with A/C? A CD changer or any safety features...?Remember summer is just around the corner...are you really going to ride that bike in summer? You will melt mate... :lol:

You ride for the thrill of it not for the frills.....Come by on fridays at dragon mart 0800 and you will see a hell of a lot of bikers...summer or no summer..

:twisted:
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 26, 2007
V-Man wrote:hey Bikes are cool and all...but do they come with A/C? A CD changer or any safety features...?Remember summer is just around the corner...are you really going to ride that bike in summer? You will melt mate... :lol:

if you're trying to be funny V-Man then you're peened badly. The Goldwing comes with both AC and a CD changer
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 27, 2007
You forgot airbags Keith!!! :twisted:
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 28, 2007
thanks everyone for the info, and the other off-topic replies :D

i actually do have a sports car, with cd changer and ac and u name it lol, but i'm a guy who likes to drive everything (think about the possibilities here lol)... anyway...

how hard is it to get a license for bikes, do i need to take classes n all that crap, how muc it'll cost me, is there something as an international license in dubai?

thanks
hornygt
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 28, 2007
Its easier to get a bike licence than a car. You have to attend some 15 classes with one of the driving schools

Btw there are a couple of 250's for sale in the Gulf News for below 5000 each.... value for money !,,, but i still recommend a 400

Theres a 400RR for sale too for around the same price
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2007
KeithL wrote:Its easier to get a bike licence than a car. You have to attend some 15 classes with one of the driving schools

Btw there are a couple of 250's for sale in the Gulf News for below 5000 each.... value for money !,,, but i still recommend a 400

hey. i thought it's more like 40 classes or so, are u sure it's just 15 classes? is there a way to get around that and take even less classes?
why exactly do u reccoment a 400RR rather than a 250 for a beginner?
thanks
hornygt
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 28, 2007
hornygt wrote:
KeithL wrote:Its easier to get a bike licence than a car. You have to attend some 15 classes with one of the driving schools

hey. i thought it's more like 40 classes or so, are u sure it's just 15 classes? is there a way to get around that and take even less classes?
thanks

Both the 250 and the 400 are restricted as per Japanese specs to 180kms/hr so both have the same top speed.

I find the 400 much more roomier than the 250 and its power delivery is smoother !
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2007
KeithL wrote:
hornygt wrote:

thanks

Both the 250 and the 400 are restricted as per Japanese specs to 180kms/hr so both have the same top speed.

I find the 400 much more roomier than the 250 and its power delivery is smoother !

aha... good to know, i'll keep that in mind... thanks man.
hornygt
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 28, 2007
and 15 classes finish in hardly any time.... call Belhasa or Dubai Driving Center
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto