First Car

Topic locked
First Car Jan 24, 2007
Hey People...i have been in Dubai for bout 10 months now...just got a licence can someone plz advice a good small car to own ...fuel efficient (hatcback or sedan) ...dont like the Tiida at all so plz recommend the others ...i personally like the Toyota Yaris - sedan. I have to travel everyday from Al Nahda to Karama (traffic is a b@% & I'd be doin around 300 km per week...

fyi -- juz got my licence a month ago

Cheers!

Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 24, 2007
In that price range you can get the following cars

- Nissan Sunny

- Ford Focus

- Mazda 3

The Focus comes with a 3 year free service contract and a 4 years warantee
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 24, 2007
I forgot to mention that the Mitsubishi Lancer is available for a lower price than the other 3
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 24, 2007
Chevrolet has some stuff in that range too. Though if you like the Yaris, you should probably go for it.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 24, 2007
gtmash wrote:Chevrolet has some stuff in that range too. Though if you like the Yaris, you should probably go for it.

The only negative about the Yaris is the 2-3 month booking period and the fact that the service station will be like a marketplace judging from the number of toyotas on the road
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 25, 2007
What about the Xa (if that is what it is called), i kinda like them for some strange reason! :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 03, 2007
are there are any 'issues' with the YARIS
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 03, 2007
KeithL wrote:the fact that the service station will be like a marketplace judging from the number of toyotas on the road

That is true. My father has a Corolla and he was turned away from the service centre for the first time for not having an appointment. What are they now, doctors?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 08, 2007
Ka0TyK wrote:are there are any 'issues' with the YARIS

A lot more stylish than the echo and very practical inside. The speedo in the middle of the dash will take a few days to get used to.

As for reliability, it is too early to tell, but being a toyota the chances are it will be bullet-proof.

I prefer the hatchback, but its your choice.

I hope that you are female also because this is a girly car if you know what I mean.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 20, 2007
how bad is the pick up...accelaration
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 20, 2007
for a 1.3L, not that bad.
and it will cruise on 140km/hr all day.
benwj

Feb 24, 2007
i am totally confused now...i have also checkd out the HOnda Civic ...i know there is no comparison between the YARIS & the CIVIC however....besides the cost advantage...purchase, maintenance, fuel efficiency ...which other areas does the yaris score...actually i am tilted towards the civic coz of the looks nd a lil bit of brand value but when common sense kicks in ....i start thinkn bout the YARIS coz i plan to stay here for no more than 2 yrs so re-sale value is another factor...help plz :roll: :? :shock: :( :?: :!:
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 25, 2007
i need an honest opinion ppl...in 2 years time will the HONDA CIVIC EXI or LXI have better resale value than the TOYOTA YARIS (mid range)????
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 27, 2007
guyz forward ur experts opinion!!
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 28, 2007
hey, i highly recommend the Mazda 3 and the Honda Civic. Absolute bang for buck.. I personally think the Corolla is a nice car but the guys that sell it are the snootiest bunch. I deal with AF Trd Ent for my Jeep and they can be quite snotty about that even.

Go for the Civic, drive it well, get it serviced at Trd Ent and sell it right back to Automall in 2-3 years. U may lose a bit more on the Mazda, but the 3 is a real nice car in that range too.
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 28, 2007
thanks alot, AV...btw i think the compass looks kool i didnt get a chance to chk out the showroom..also the price was a big deterrence..hehe
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 28, 2007
hey! Don't encourage Jeep by buying the Compass, PLEASE! Have no idea about the pricing, but would then recommend a Cherokee. It starts at 80k something or so, and is a great car. Had it for a year, and only sold it to get me a Wrangler. If you're stepping up to a 4x4, the Cherokee is a great option.
avkurian
Dubai Forums Member

finally.. May 16, 2007
hey Guyzz its been a while ...have got the civic lxi 2 months ago...lil worried bout the efficiency...its givin bout 8.5km for every litre of fuel. Pls lemme know ur take...

Cheers
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

May 16, 2007
did you buy brand new civic or a used one? take it to the dealer 8kmpl is way too low.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

May 16, 2007
The mileage for civic is 6.7 -6.9 (Liter per 100 kms) , that means u should get roughly from 13 to 14 kms per liter , well it depends on driving style and traffic, if u were driving on full traffic with ACs on then your figure of 8kms might be a true otherwise check it with the mechanic
freeman0179
Dubai Forum User

May 16, 2007
you should be getting at least 300 km from 50 dhs of 'special' [normal petrol]. (based on driving style, traffic, A/C, etc).

Anything less, then you need to service it.

Check:

- Your Air intake filter
- Your hoses
- Your Oil.
V-Man
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 10, 2007
well as of now m hittin 8.5 km to a litre ....if i wanna do more...what should be my ideal cruising speed for max. fuel efficiency
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Re: finally.. Jun 10, 2007
Ka0TyK wrote:its givin bout 8.5km for every litre of fuel. Pls lemme know ur take...

Take the handbrake off.

You must be wringing it. I was getting that from a V8 on a 300 km per day commute. Cruising at 120.
bonk

Jun 10, 2007
i feel duh now...is my car doin good or bad?!?
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 11, 2007
Bad.
bonk

Jun 11, 2007
how much should i be gettin....i get appox. 350 km to a full tank that is approx. 8 gallons...mostly in traffic conditions
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 11, 2007
Ka0TyK wrote:how much should i be gettin....i get appox. 350 km to a full tank that is approx. 8 gallons...mostly in traffic conditions

That's normal. Cars use a lot less cruising than they do in normal traffic, especially Dubai traffic. Cars are their least economic when accelerating which of course happens a lot in traffic.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 11, 2007
Ka0TyK wrote:how much should i be gettin....i get appox. 350 km to a full tank that is approx. 8 gallons...mostly in traffic conditions

I get about that much from my outdated six-cylinder Merc. Even with traffic, that is bad. Can't say what is wrong with yours, but I believe I improved my economy by changing the air filter. Try being easier on the throttle too.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 27, 2007
..think emarat is the best compared 2 eppco/enoc..for some reason get better mileage..food for thought
Ka0TyK
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 27, 2007
One of the key elements in obtaining good fuel economy is, believe it or not, your tyre pressures. Make sure you check them every three days as a minimum and adjust according to the type of motoring you will be doing. If running about town, set them at the manufacturer's recommended pressures - if heading off to Abu Dhabi or on a weekend run where you will be maintaining higher speeds over longer distances, raise the pressures a couple of pounds. Do the same if you are loading the car beyond how you would normally be driving it.

A change in specification from the manufacturer's original equipment, of wheels and/or tyres, will also contribute to economy or the lack of it - if you have wider than standard tyres, for example, the rolling resistance will be greater as there is a bigger footprint to overcome - you'll get more grip, but every change is a compromise somewhere along the line.

Other elements that will have a direct effect on your economy, apart from your driving style, will be things like whether you have a roof rack, loose components such as an ill-fitted undertray and accessories that were not on the car when it was new, all of which can affect aerodynamic efficiency.

A friend in Thailand improved his fuel economy and performance by removing a bug deflector from the bonnet of his pickup - it was costing him ten percent in both areas, and wasn't deflecting many bugs anyway!

Severe braking is just as uneconomical as severe acceleration - a slower build up to your normal cruising speed as well as better anticipation of having to slow down will work wonders. And if your car has a rev counter, use it in conjunction with the handbook: find out where in the rev band you are getting peak torque, and change gear before you reach that limit - there is no point in continuing to accelerate in any given gear after you have reached its peak performance level.

Happy motoring!
autodrone
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto