Starting A Business

Topic locked
Starting a business Jan 14, 2009
Hi.

Firstly I apolagise if this seems to be out of context considering all the problems that people are facing at the moment with the credit crisis.

I have recently moved to Dubai and would like to set up a company which is based around health foods and supplements.

I spoke to one lady that informed me that anything to do with importing food stuffs is not that profitable due to all to stages it has to go through.

I am obviously not just going to take her word for it, and would like to know from other people if what she is saying is correct.

Also exactly how do I go about setting up a business that has nothing to do with food.

Many thanks.

deuce
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 14, 2009
Health foods and supplements are readily available in Dubai. I don't think this is the 'big idea' that you need to make a pile of money.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 14, 2009
Hi Del.

I do realise that there are quite a few places over here that supply health and supplement products, but compared to places I have been in the UK they don't compete.

It will mostly be for athletes and I will also be offering other non food accessories.

I am heavily into fitness and although I haven't been here long I've gone around quite a few places looking for certain products, without any success.

Apart from one place most of the stores seem to provide products for general health and they do not have much variety of sports supplements or equipment.

If you do know of such places could you please give me some details.

This is not the only business idea I have, and that was the reason I wanted to know more about starting a business not related to foods.

Thanks Del.
deuce
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 14, 2009
deuce wrote:Hi Del.

I do realise that there are quite a few places over here that supply health and supplement products, but compared to places I have been in the UK they don't compete.

It will mostly be for athletes and I will also be offering other non food accessories.

Thanks Del.

Not to put you down, but Dubai/UAE is the last place to be looking for athletes, considering the lazy lifestyle promoted here. Still, I'd suggest finding and making a deal with various niche sources of potential customers (sports clubs, etc) BEFORE you start the business, so you can get off to a running start.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 14, 2009
Hi gtmash.

I completly disagree with you.

I am a member of a gym that has tousands of clients all over dubai.

I also know people that are boxing, kickboxing and doing MMA here.

They also had a similar type of ultra fit competition here last year.

From speaking to people they seem to be doing alot to promote sports and fitness.

Thanks for the reply.
deuce
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 15, 2009
Before investment do a bit market research. Investment property is also a good idea.Or you can search more.
bhomes
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009
1. Research your market
2. Make a business plan with clear targets and goals
3. Make a budget plan for at least 2 years - include all your living costs as well as business costs.
4. Do more market research
5. Expect to need twice as much cash as you think you do to get started, and to take twice as long as you think you will before you turn a profit.

Dubai now is probably not a good place to be trying to start a business, unless it's a debt collection agency.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 09, 2009
hey if it's online can u sell products here using free zone license?
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 09, 2009
desert surfer wrote:hey if it's online can u sell products here using free zone license?

If you get a Free Zone licence for selling products, and you sell them in whichever UAE Free Zone you operate, otherwise you have to export them to the rest of the country.

It's possible to do this without a license but might not be legal. If you're a social club selling a few coffee cups to members, you probably won't get into trouble. If you start a Dubai based version of Amazon you probably will.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 09, 2009
bonk wrote:
desert surfer wrote:hey if it's online can u sell products here using free zone license?

If you get a Free Zone licence for selling products, and you sell them in whichever UAE Free Zone you operate, otherwise you have to export them to the rest of the country.

It's possible to do this without a license but might not be legal. If you're a social club selling a few coffee cups to members, you probably won't get into trouble. If you start a Dubai based version of Amazon you probably will.

So I need a local sponsor to start Dubai based Amazon? i.e I need regular inport export license eh?
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 04, 2009
better do market analysis and go for what is best
Deadfella
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 05, 2009
I don't understand why Dubai businesses , especially the hundreds of gold shops , are not trying to sell their products on-line.
For example, if you put a popular global search term for Dubai , the words "Dubai gold souk" into Google , you find www.visit-dubai.co.uk on the front page. So why don't those HUNDREDS of Dubai Gold Souk shops, not try to advertise to the WORLD, via a site like that?
The search term is near the top of the front page. so people from India to America must be finding it.
Dubai seems a bit slow on selling on the internet, even though it has thousands of shops. The air fares and hotels are so dear , that the world will NOT GO to those shops in huge numbers. Yet Dubai could sell TO THE WORLD on the internet, like Amazon does.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 12, 2009
i think, Dubai is most for transit, and every city has its special, like our hometown" Shouguang", i think many people do not know, hehe, but Dubai is famous, so this is his special................... :)
linbonwoods
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 27, 2009
what you need is for alibaba to come to Dubai.
lifegauge
Dubai Forum User

Apr 27, 2009
How is the business setup going?

I think the number of opportunities in Dubai have gone down substantially and there will be a change in the way the market works.

However there is still a lot of money out there but the guys are holding back their money in order to see what is going to happen.

Having said that, opportunities are there and will arise. Have you thought about buying into an existing firm?

One tip I was given was for 'Facilities Management', how much investment are you looking to put in and how much management are you looking to put in.
DubaiBusinessAdvisors
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 05, 2009
Have you considered herbalife health and wellness products?
rdoinvest@comcast.net
Dubai Forum User

Oct 08, 2009
yes, great Idea
arianassetmgmt
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Business TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Business Talk