Help! Old Boss Trying To Rip Me Off And Bank My Cheques!!

Topic locked
Help! Old boss trying to rip me off and bank my cheques!! Jun 04, 2011
Hi there,
Hope you can help me. I've recently left my old employer and cancelled my visa with them. I worked with them in the Wealth Management/Insurance sector under an normal Dubai LLC visa contract where you sell savings plans and life assurance. As is normal in the industry here when you exit the company you have to leave a security cheque in case any clients cancel their policies. We are paid indemnity commission upfront but is subject to clawback if the customer cancels that policy within 18 months. I had to leave 46,000AED in a cheque with my company.

After recently cancelling my visa I've joined a new company but I got to know that my old boss has been greedy and is now threatening to bank my cheques even though all the policies I sold are fine. If he banked it the cheque it would definately bounce and I know what he is like, he will put a case against me for non payment. Can he do this? When I cancelled the visa I signed a form which agreed that I owed the company nothing and the company owes me nothing. If that is the case then surely he cant come after me saying I owe the company money if I dont owe them anything. The cheque was made payable to company by the way. I'm really scared, if the cheque is banked and bounces, he is the sort of person to put a case against me and I've heard very bad stories about that. Please help or advise.

SMUNRO1970
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Help! Old boss trying to rip me off and bank my cheques! Jun 04, 2011
I would be scared too! A bounced Signed PDC is Cheque Fraud in the UAE.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/cheques-in-dubai.php
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Help! Old Boss Trying To Rip Me Off And Bank My Cheques! Jun 04, 2011
If there was nothing outstanding when you left, why didn't you take your check back? When did you hand over the PDC to him, and has the 18 month period cleared? How did you find out that he was going to cash the check?

Any communication you have with him, put it in writing!!! Send him an email outlining the events and request that he return your PDC if all your policies have "cleared" the waiting period. If you can't reach an agreement for him to return the check maybe you can take the issue (along with documentation) to the police and find out what your choices are. BTW, is he local??

Good luck to you.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Help! Old boss trying to rip me off and bank my cheques! Jun 04, 2011
If you have proof that nothing is owed between you and the previous company, then you need to go and get that cheque back, so there is no problem with it being presented at the bank.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Help! Old boss trying to rip me off and bank my cheques! Jun 07, 2011
I would suggest you talk to a lawyer which will cost 500 - 1000 AED for a consultation. I doubt there is a whole lot you can do. The law doesn't seem to offer much protection in a case like this.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai