Romania "Report"

Topic locked
Romania "Report" Mar 21, 2008
Those fckers can smoke!!!!

Although there is a law that people can't smoke in offices and other public places every elevator, bathroom or hallway is filled with smoke! I went to this restaurant/bar in Bucharest where the "non smoking" section was 2 tables with 2 chairs each separated from the rest by ropes! Funny stuff.

Any way, I did as stint in Bucharest and I was expecting that it would be a mess in that it only joined the EU in 2007, was under Ciuscescu's dictatorship and soviet rule for so long. In addition, all the reports about the orphanages and stories about gypsies had created a "bad" impression on me.

Bucharest was (well the parts I saw - most central areas) surprisingly orderly and it has some fine architecture and big homes. Many of these structures are in need of renovation but many others are in fine shape and it clearly seems they are moving towards cleaning up the place. They have a nice tram system and a subway system.

There are far too many cars for the amount of road or amount of parking. People park everywhere (they even create parking Islands in some of the larger plazas or roundabouts). However, there is not much traffic noise in the way of honking.

Bucharest boasts the second largest building in the world (after the pentagon) which is their parlaimnet building. Built in the 1980's it is an impressive builidng and one that looks much older than 20 years (in its architectural style).

My hotel had a "chinese' restaurant in the lobby and out of curiosity I went in. Kind of funny. The only chinese person they have seen at this restaurant is perhaps a movie with Jackie Chang in it.

There isn't much to do in Bucharest....

p.s. my favorite part of this post is that the Net Nannies can't change the first sentence :P

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 22, 2008
ive been there maybe 3 times in total. all for business and havent had time to look around. but romanians are rather party people and specially those in the capital are not complaining about being bored. the best time for them is the summer, when all wo can on friday afternoon hit the beach which is in a city close to bucharest. and they have a lot of fun. not only them, but the large number of foreigners who spend time on the litoral.

anyways, from what ive seen of bucharest, i havent liked it either.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 24, 2008
The Bucharest is like other capital of europan countrys, ofcourse is not much to like in Bucharest first bcs is very croweded exactly like Concord said are too many cars, but are some great places who worth to visit, Bucharest looks great in the spring and summer period when everything is green even are to many buildings.

As for raidah yes romanian are some party people, the beach is not so close to Bucharest but yes it worths to go there in the summer... and next time when you visit Romania try to go to other citys too, go to the moutnin to see what great places are there....

Let me tell you a little secret i dont like Bucharest too :)
Cristin
Dubai Forums Frequenter

don't judge the country by it's capital Sep 02, 2008
I live in the sea city of Constanta and i have to agree that Bucharest is probably the ugliest city in our Nation , in contrast to that it has the coolest nightlife in Romania , being the largest student city here it boasts some of the best clubs , bars, pubs in this part of Europe . Also a good tip would be to get out of the city , hit the summer resorts especialy Mamaia (near Constanta) , it has earned its nickname as the IBIZA of the black sea , the people and cars that are in front of some clubs in Mamaia easily match Dubai :D , too bad its only during summer , also check out the mountain resorts for some stunning landscape and medieval cities (eg: Brasov, Sighisoara-home of Dracula and the only habited fortress today in Europe , Rasnov fortress , Sibiu- cultural capital of Europe in 2007 and the list goes on and on.
xenion.calavera
Dubai Forum Guest

bucharest is indeed a bad place Feb 04, 2009
I think that if I may say so most ppl from romania also would say that bucharest isnt a nice place.
if u wanna see the real culture u should go to the smaller places, the mountains for skying or well there is a town called Deva which has an amazing Citadell with its name written just like Hollywood. They have latley also opend a restaurant on top where u can enjoy amazing cousine with a breath taking view.
The sea is also beautyfull ofcourse for in summers.

If u go there I think that u should also at least try the authentic romanian cousine, not very spicy but filled with flavour.

NightFairy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

take care Feb 04, 2009

By the way may I add that when u go there always and I really mean always take care of our valuable things because they can be gone before u can even immagine :lol:

NightFairy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: take care Feb 12, 2009
NightFairy wrote:
By the way may I add that when u go there always and I really mean always take care of our valuable things because they can be gone before u can even immagine :lol:

yeah true, still want to go
denicka
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 13, 2009
I myself m from Romania''Transilvania'' so well I go there still twice a year but I even myself always take care of all my things especialy when m shaking some ones hand haha
always check ur watch and rings afterwards heheheheheheheheh
lolz
NightFairy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

a trip Apr 25, 2009
asfkuhfafnas;fnasfjasn;fjas
james111
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 25, 2009
hi m james here
james111
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 25, 2009
beautiful place guys ,i higly recomend bucharest its a wonderful place
james111
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 22, 2009
Hi,
I am currently living in Bucharest for about 6 years and I can tell you that is not such a great city. Very crowded, dirty, lots of cars with no parking spaces. The mayor recently have made some cycle path on the footwalk (only on the main streets) but all of them are occupied by parked cars.
True, there are lots of nice bars and clubs were you can have a lot of fun, plus the Romanian girls are very beautiful :). As for the Mamaia beach in Constanta, I've been there last week, a very dirty water, expensive and crowded.
That's why (among others) I'm searching for a job in Dubai. Hopefully I will join you soon.

All the best
XTina
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 23, 2009
Never been to Bucharest, but like one post I have heard great things about other parts of romania.
vistasad
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around