Greece Suggestions, Tips

Topic locked
Greece suggestions, tips Aug 13, 2007
Going to Greece (landing in athens) mid September.

Looking for tips and suggestions; other than go "island hoping".

More like, "take the ferry from----------to____________it leaves every ______________ when you get there you'll see_______________"

Or "don't go to _____________ but go to ____________, because______________'

All suggestions welcomed.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 15, 2007
I haven't gone there myself but my wife and her girl friends went there couple of months ago (Athens plus Istanbul & Paris). Other than the Parthenon, she was more recommending on Istanbul than Athens. More beautiful and more to see, she said. Having traveled many times to Europe and other places ourself, I trust her opinion.

One thing I appreciated was Hard Rock Athens t-shirt (as I'm collecting).

Sorry I didn't help much.

PS: don't buy Parthenon replica (resin-based) souvenir. It's way too overpriced. Having known how to make/mold the resin, it worths not more than 10% of the sale price ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2007
Concs - just came back from Greece yesterday.

I would go to Santorini - because it's beautiful, romantic and has good food and many different beaches. Get the ferry from piraues super cat takes around 4 hours

I would not go to Mykonos because it is overpriced and hard to get around unless you stay specifically on on of the more "adult and straight beaches"

Then get an overnight ferry to Rhodes because it has a fort built by the knights of st john, full of churches, shops, houses, bras, restaurants, mosques - so much history and so much beauty.

I would also recommend Ios - a small island 1 hour from Santorini for its small streets and awesome bars and clubs - but I won't recommend it specifically to you as it is a little like the Greek Ibiza and maybe not what you are looking for.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 15, 2007
scarlet wrote:Concs - just came back from Greece yesterday.

I would go to Santorini - because it's beautiful, romantic and has good food and many different beaches. Get the ferry from piraues super cat takes around 4 hours

I would not go to Mykonos because it is overpriced and hard to get around unless you stay specifically on on of the more "adult and straight beaches"

Then get an overnight ferry to Rhodes because it has a fort built by the knights of st john, full of churches, shops, houses, bras, restaurants, mosques - so much history and so much beauty.

I would also recommend Ios - a small island 1 hour from Santorini for its small streets and awesome bars and clubs - but I won't recommend it specifically to you as it is a little like the Greek Ibiza and maybe not what you are looking for.

Thanks.

Oh and thanks for calling me old!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 16, 2007
I didn't call you old - its just a bit bizarre going to a nightclub full of 18-22 year olds which is what happened to me in Mykonos. I found I didn't really have much to say to them :-)
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 22, 2007
I spent a month there a few years ago, Athens is a sh!t hole but the history is great, definitly see the parthenon etc. You can catch a ferry from Pereaus to some Islands. Mikonos is very nice but there is definitely a big gay nightlife so watch your as$ (pun) unless you're into that sort of thing. To party go to the island of Eos. Skiathos is a very nice island with lots of greenery and fun atmosphere. Ferries to wherever you want to go are abundant and fairly inexpensive. Have fun!
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around