Bankok Ideas/recommendations

Topic locked
Bankok ideas/recommendations Dec 24, 2007
On my way to Thailand (Bankok) for 9 days first week in January, as usual, without a plan - just a hotel room for the first 2 nights.

Any suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2007
tiger (thai-girl) show. the cabbie will know where to bring you.
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 24, 2007
The cabbie seems to know as soon as you sit in their cab...
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 24, 2007
OT: I remember our tour guide offering for us to see that show.. and the group included a family with 2 young kids! I asked the guy why he did that and he said it's ok since it's considered a "family entertainment".... lol.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 24, 2007
reviewer wrote:The cabbie seems to know as soon as you sit in their cab...

cabbies are sort of like security guards,, they seem to know everything and have great ideas about any topic.

sorry for getting out of topic.

---

back on topic,, aside from the 'tiger' show you should look at visiting phuket and do all sorts of beach stuff, shopping is also good, the best knock-offs you can find (if you're into that sort of stuff) again the cabbie will know... ;)
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Bankok ideas/recommendations Dec 25, 2007
[
quote="C0NC0RD"]On my way to Thailand (Bankok) for 9 days first week in January, as usual, without a plan - just a hotel room for the first 2 nights.

Hey I maybe going after you.
[/quote]
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 25, 2007
I love to stay in at the Ascot at Sathorn and then make my way (walk to) the nearby massage place called HealthLand. I can do that everyday.

If you like pain, try their ayuvedera massage, enough to send a big boy into tears. Aftermath- you will feel like reborn again.

Do lotsa massages, go to the big market (I forgot the name now), take a river cruise, definitely take the tuk tuk but I recommend that only at night.

Food wise, take your love one to Guisto at Sukhumvit 10 (?), buffet at the Mandarin, goto Sukhothai Hotel, goto Emporium .....
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 25, 2007
studstar wrote:
reviewer wrote:The cabbie seems to know as soon as you sit in their cab...

cabbies are sort of like security guards,, they seem to know everything and have great ideas about any topic.

sorry for getting out of topic.

---

back on topic,, aside from the 'tiger' show you should look at visiting phuket and do all sorts of beach stuff, shopping is also good, the best knock-offs you can find (if you're into that sort of stuff) again the cabbie will know... ;)

:lol: Geez, whether you like or not the cabbies stays......the topic in every way will point to the cabbie :bootyshake:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Bankok ideas/recommendations Dec 25, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:[
quote="C0NC0RD"]On my way to Thailand (Bankok) for 9 days first week in January, as usual, without a plan - just a hotel room for the first 2 nights.

Hey I maybe going after you.
[/quote]

No, now you are after me! I already have the Net Nannies (Arniegang, Sage and smartd) after me :shock:
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2007
Man oh man, does anyone do historical/cultural or non-message things in Bangkok (I recognize the name does not help it but...)
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2007
Aside from the perennial temple, just walk around and blend in with the locals. Those are the only cultural things I can think of. And yes, watch a kickboxing match.
Whatever you do, stay away from the floating market!
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 26, 2007
pinoy1 wrote:Aside from the perennial temple, just walk around and blend in with the locals. Those are the only cultural things I can think of. And yes, watch a kickboxing match.
Whatever you do, stay away from the floating market!

And why is that? It is in all guide books. Nothing there, rip-off, dirty (seems a bit), etc.????
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2007
I thought it was what it is according the guide books also. I went there early last year.
You get on the boat and you go around with nothing to see and buy but souvenirs. Soon you'll feel like being detained on the boat and you are "forced" to stop on every souvenir shop along the way, while constantly being blown to the face with exhaust fumes from several motorized boats.
There're no local produce, food, etc. being sold like what you see in the colorful glossy pictures.
You will also see the same souvenirs in the stores that line the entrance to the place- at much cheaper prices.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Dec 26, 2007
pinoy1 wrote:I thought it was what it is according the guide books also. I went there early last year.
You get on the boat and you go around with nothing to see and buy but souvenirs. Soon you'll feel like being detained on the boat and you are "forced" to stop on every souvenir shop along the way, while constantly being blown to the face with exhaust fumes from several motorized boats.
There're no local produce, food, etc. being sold like what you see in the colorful glossy pictures.
You will also see the same souvenirs in the stores that line the entrance to the place- at much cheaper prices.

Thanks I suspected that much. And yes, you would be stuck/forced to remain on the boat in a tourist trap. I think I'll pass on it.

How about train travel there?

So far will probably go to Bangkok and then Chiang Mai (either by plane or train). Would prefer train in order to see some country side. But if the trains sux then...

Not a beach person so no "beach resort" places..
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2007
Concord, when you find out more about Chiangmai kindly let me know. I am thinking of taking my parents there while we are in Bangkok. I have only ever been to Bangkok, Bangkok and Bangkok.

Heard Chiangmai has more scenary and produces....
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 26, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:Concord, when you find out more about Chiangmai kindly let me know. I am thinking of taking my parents there while we are in Bangkok. I have only ever been to Bangkok, Bangkok and Bangkok.

Heard Chiangmai has more scenary and produces....

You go on holiday to Thailand to buy "produce" :shock:

There must be things to do nearby Bangkok I would imagine.

But anyway, the plan is to head north. Maybe throw a few rock across the rivert onto Burma (at the golden triangle).
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2007
You go on holiday to Thailand to buy "produce" :shock:

You should too. I encourage you to 8)

There must be things to do nearby Bangkok I would imagine.

erm Pattaya maybe but you dont like beach

But anyway, the plan is to head north. Maybe throw a few rock across the rivert onto Burma (at the golden triangle).
[/quote]

Dont throw rocks. Throw some oranges. Sunkist preferably :D
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Re: Bankok ideas/recommendations Jan 15, 2008
C0NC0RD wrote:On my way to Thailand (Bankok) for 9 days first week in January, as usual, without a plan - just a hotel room for the first 2 nights.

Any suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Still waiting for you to post your experience. Was the airline ok? Food ok? How do you like the traffic? etc ..
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

BabyDoll wrote:
C0NC0RD wrote:On my way to Thailand (Bankok) for 9 days first week in January, as usual, without a plan - just a hotel room for the first 2 nights.

Any suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Still waiting for you to post your experience. Was the airline ok? Food ok? How do you like the traffic? etc ..

Sorry,

Give me 10 minutes I'll come up with something...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:Sorry,

Give me 10 minutes I'll come up with something...

Thats a long 10 minutes :lol:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around