Am I Selling Myself Short?

Topic locked
Am I Selling Myself Short? Oct 11, 2006
I am graduating in December with a bachelors in psychology (then hopefully moving to dubessss)...as some of you may know I want to change my field ..move more into the marketing/PR/event planning realm and then hopefully go to grad school in a couple of years
......I don't have too much experience whatsoever so I thought I would apply for a paid internship, that way I can learn everything. But, do you think I am selling myself short? With a degree, shouldn't I be above internships ? Any suggesstions? Do you think they are mostly for students?

noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 12, 2006
Depends where the internship is.

If the internship is with a top flight company that you would kill to work for - its a great way of getting your foot in the door. If the internship is with some no name dive you wouldnt accept a job offer from - forget it.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2006
Interesting...
what about in an area where you don't have too much experience but you eventually want to work? even though it might not be your dream company...
noni
Dubai chat master

Oct 14, 2006
noni wrote:Interesting...
what about in an area where you don't have too much experience but you eventually want to work? even though it might not be your dream company...

If it is a company with a good reputation in your chosen field I would go for it. Its pretty easy to jump from one company with a good reputation to another company with a good reputation.

If the company has a bad reputation - I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Which means that you need to carefully research the reputation of the company offering you the internship because when someone reads your resume 12 months later they are going to mentally associate you with that company. You want as many positive associations on your resume as possible and you want to eliminate negative or irrelevant associations.
boomtown
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2006
thanks boomtown for your imput
noni
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted