Change Of Career Direction Any Serious Advice?

Topic locked
Change of career direction any serious advice? Sep 04, 2006
I have been doing science for at least 8yrs now. After finishing my PhD in chemistry I have realised that I really do not want to do chemistry anymore!! I have searched of what things I can do or enjoy doing. I really enjoy business, I always dream of making my own business, whenever I go even on holiday I think of new business idea. I think I have bored my friend to death about different business, at the moment I do few online business that seem going well, hopefully when I have more time I will concentrate in that area. Now my new direction is to work in the finical sector management, few banks do management training for new graduate and iam hoping with my PhD that will be a bounce. I quite enjoy marketing because it involves creativity, something that I really enjoy. Iam full time staff at university while doing my PhD also part time self employed so my plan are, after finishing PhD to quit my full time job because it is not mentally stimulating for me and keep my part time income. Go to my training holiday to Thailand and train to an instructor level for few months and then come back and apply for the management training. The starting salary is much more than what I would earn as a scientist. I also would like to to teach kick boxing or muay thai in the evening when I become trained. I need advice or anything you might suggest. I also would like to come to Dubai once I have enough experience to work there and business make better sense!

sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 04, 2006
all i am gonna say, more power to ya .. very few people have the courage to admit it. Doing what you love for me is the most important thing !! Best of luck with your career move you are very intelligent and that will be an asset regardless of career ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Sara u need to do what your mind tells you, what you are comfortable with. I am a pharmacist myself but never worked in that field.

I took up management and have been working in marketing and customer relations field for the last 7 years and never once felt that i have made a wrong move. Rather i enjoy what i am doing.

So finally its all about job and work satisfaction. towards the end of the day one should be happy thats all :)

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
An old friend of mine did a PhD in Chemistry too. As soon as he finished, he was offered a job immediately - as a stockbroker!! He's not looked back since!
Having a PhD in Chemistry shouldn't hold you back from anything really - it just shows you have a very analytical type mind - and a good head for maths, and many other virtues required to be a top chemist.
Just follow your heart - but be prepared to perhaps take a pay cut!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 04, 2006
Thanks for all the replies. i really thought people will put me off because most people are scared of change, iam not but i hope it will work out. wish me luck!
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 04, 2006
When I left my high-tech job a little more than 4 years ago to be a personal trainer in a health club people thought I flipped. Well I did that for a few years, now I'm back in a suit and tie managing a company in the Diamond Exchange. Who knows where my next 'incarnation' will take me.

I like changing jobs/countries.....it keeps life interesting. I definately would recommend that you go for it....whatever the 'it' ends up being.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 04, 2006
Jeevan wrote:Sara u need to do what your mind tells you, what you are comfortable with. I am a pharmacist myself but never worked in that field.

I took up management and have been working in marketing and customer relations field for the last 7 years and never once felt that i have made a wrong move. Rather i enjoy what i am doing.

So finally its all about job and work satisfaction. towards the end of the day one should be happy thats all :)

J

jeevan how did you enter the marketing sector?? do you advise me to start with low paid job and built my experince up or go for the bank graduate training scheme http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/graduatecaree ... management

the training for two years.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Sep 05, 2006
i can't really say much, but i've shifted careers 2 times already from graphic designer to admin then finally my love which is marketing.

look at your short-term and long term goals, then consider what you are willing to sacrifice to attain your objective.

all the best.
girl_glen
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 05, 2006
sara_uk wrote:
Jeevan wrote:Sara u need to do what your mind tells you, what you are comfortable with. I am a pharmacist myself but never worked in that field.

J

jeevan how did you enter the marketing sector?? do you advise me to start with low paid job and built my experince up or go for the bank graduate training scheme http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/graduatecaree ... management

the training for two years.

HI Sara,

Actually i had a bit of focused approach, even though i was switching lines i kinda knew where i was heading. At that time the IT sector was in boom i did a course in ecommerce and wanted to get in software marketing. My MBA degree did help me in this. Initially i had to start lower down the ladder and slowly push my way up.

In between i took a liking for customer service and moved to contact centers, gaain i started from being a agent and pushed my way up into operations and setting up contact centers.

From here i moved to automobile industry and currently am working for a advertising agency in dubai. Now its more of what i like doing and what gives me a job satisfaction. its been a up and down ride for me for last 8 years but i have enjoyed what i have done and have no regret whatsoever.

when you are looking to make a career in a specific industry experience does count and helps you go a long way.

cheers,

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2006
Sara i just wanted to point out that your PhD doesnt have to be a waste. You can actually work in marketing or business side of things for a pharamcutical company for example or a chemical plant or whatever .. this way you would be in the field you love and still using your technical ability ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2006
Thanks maad, jeevan and everyone for your advice and i think i feel so much better this morning because i like the idea of a change. it sad that family and frineds do not understand and think iam crazy, saying after all this hard work you are leaving science what was the point then!! i know i will be happier and i think i have made my mind and even if it does not work out, i will not regret trying otherwise i will always say what if!

so thank you everyone for your positive in put
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted