How Do You Find Out Of Your Field Is Any Good?

Topic locked
how do you find out of your field is any good? Aug 30, 2006
Ok iam pharmaceutical science graduate and trying to finish my PhD in cancer research/ medicinal chemistry. Iam British citizen but I would like to come to work in UAE, so where do I start? Do I have to come there and look myself? Iam looking into lecturing (chemistry) or working in any pharmaceutical companies. Apart from my PhD I have no experience. Please someone advice me. I have looked through zillion of recruitment sites but no luck! I also looked at universities directly but there are no vacancy, is it bad time now? I think the new academic year is starting. Iam not looking to relocate immediately but I just want to know, is my field wanted there?? Do I have a chance with no experience? I also speak Arabic if that help!! I want to work in dubai so i can save money and pay my debt, would i be better off here?

sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 31, 2006
Sara experience is one major aspect they check when your applying in UAE. But you say your UK educated, so I guess that could be given a credit also. :wink:

Your best bet in finding a job here is thru those online recruitment agencies. Keep on trying, goodluck! :lol:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 31, 2006
Thank you zam. i really want to come to Dubai but if experience is a must then i have to work first then but really I can not stand it here. i know there alot of jobs in Canada for me. it looks depressing that my field is not that popular here :cry:
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 31, 2006
Hope you can make it down sara, but if you decide to make a detour to Canada, Canadian teachers/lecturers here seem to be some of the most respected from what I've been told.

Sadly Education and Pharmaceuticals don’t seem to be the highly compensated as they should. An average pharmacist in Dubai makes the equiv of 600 pounds/month from what I’ve been told. I know you said you weren’t a pharmacist but just giving you the only fact I know :lol:

Have you checked out health care city though? I hear they are setting up a few research labs, maybe something in there might be up your alley and I’m guessing compensation would be decent.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 31, 2006
Fays

thank you very much. i have looked at that too nope :cry: i guess you can not have it all, the nice wether and good pay. i will look into it again maybe in 6months because the academic year about to start and that could be the reason. anyone know how much lecturer get paid? or teachers? may be i can do two jobs?? is there no Pharmaceutical companies in UAE?
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 31, 2006
Hi sara,

Dunno if this will help but there is a company called NEOPHARMA in Abu Dhabi...Musaffah to be precise (http://www.pharmaceutical-technology.co ... neopharma/) Dunno if this will help....

Just one question....Why is it that you want to come down here after doing you Phd in Pharma....UK/US/Germany is the place to be cus thats where all the ground breaking stuff is done...

Thats just my 2 cents obviously you would be knowing a lot more...

Anyways hope you get what ur looking for...All the best

cheers
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 31, 2006
devilsdiciple wrote:Hi sara,

Dunno if this will help but there is a company called NEOPHARMA in Abu Dhabi...Musaffah to be precise (http://www.pharmaceutical-technology.co ... neopharma/) Dunno if this will help....

Just one question....Why is it that you want to come down here after doing you Phd in Pharma....UK/US/Germany is the place to be cus thats where all the ground breaking stuff is done...

Thats just my 2 cents obviously you would be knowing a lot more...

Anyways hope you get what ur looking for...All the best

cheers

I have written this reply in another thread but basically, I am bored living in London; I will hopefully finish my thesis in 2 months. PhD has been very stressful for me so I want a new change, explore the world. Iam not fussy where I go if the pay is good. My short list were Canada, Singapore, Swaziland and Dubai. I start looking into Dubai more for 3 reasons 1. Tax free, 2. Hot weather and 3. I speak Arabic so that might help. The US is one place I did not look into it, because of the gun crime and people always put me off the idea. I am not pharmacist though, iam medicinal chemist, my options are open to anywhere in the world. Top of my list was Dubai but if it does not offer what iam looking for, iam open for suggestions, If any one have any advice please share them.
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum