A Quote - Guess Where From

Topic locked
A Quote - Guess where from Aug 30, 2006
I thought I'd share this quote.

"I am He by Whom the worlds were created and shall be dissolved ... There is nothing higher than Me... The whole world is pervaded by Me, yet My form is not seen. All living things have their being in Me, yet I am not limited by them... 1, the Supreme Self, am the cause and upholder of all. Under My guidance, Nature produces all things movable and immovable ... I am the Father of the universe and its Mother. I am its Nourisher. I am the Knowable and the Pure .... I am the Goal, the Sustainer, the Lord, the Witness, the Home, the Shelter, the Lover and the Origin. I am Life and Death; I am the Fountain and the Seed Imperishable.
"I am the Source of all; from Me everything flows. The Supreme Spirit, the Eternal Home, the Holiest of the Holy, the Eternal Divine Self, the Primal God, the Unborn and the Omnipresent. The Source and Master of all beings, the Lord of Lords, the Ruler of the universe.
"Could a thousand suns blaze forth together it would be but a faint reflection of the radiance of the Lord God. He is the Light of lights, beyond the reach of darkness; the Wisdom, the only thing that is worth knowing.
"The aspects of My divine life are endless. Whatever is glorious, excellent, beautiful and mighty, be assured that it comes from a fragment of My splendour"

This is a quote from a holy scripture. I wonder how many will recognise where it is from? Guesses welcome (and refrain from using Google..:)

I'll post the answer tomorrow

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 30, 2006
HP?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2006
No surprises - it wasn't from HP :)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 30, 2006
shafique, just out curiousity are you indian....or are you very familiar with the religions practiced there?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2006
oh, and im pretty sure i know where that quote is from....but i dont know, i have a thing with being wrong, so i dont want to say it then be wrong....its a problem i know....oh well. lol
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2006
bushra - my grandfather's grandfather was from India and emigrated to Mauritius where my parents are from. I was brought up in Britain :)

So, no I'm not Indian -- but I think you are warm with the quote. I'm Muslim, but read widely.... why don't you guess.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 31, 2006
i want to say its the ummm, Gita or something along those longs...Bagavad (or something like that) Gita, I think! Im not indian, but a lot my mates in the states were, and Im pretty interested in what different scriptures say...so I believe its from there. I hope not wrong though; i hate being wrong... :(
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 31, 2006
bushra - no need to be aprehensive - you are absolutely correct.

The quote is from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad-Gita, the Song of the Lord.

The central belief of Hinduism is that there is One Universal Spirit called Brahman which has no beginning or end. The quote above is the description of the Supreme Spirit.

Some more quotes from Hindu scripture:

"All action originates in the Supreme Being"

"Neither in this world, nor elsewhere, is there any happiness in store for the one who always doubts"

"In sorrows not dejected, in joys not over joyed; outside the stress of passion, fear and anger, steadfastly calm in lofty contemplation; such a one is the wise man"

"Be not overglad attaining joy, and be not oversad encountering grief"

"If you were the worst of all wrong doers, the ship of truth would bear you safe across the sea of your transgression"

"Religion shown in acts of proud display is rash and vain"

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 31, 2006
yay...i think ill throw myself a little party for that. :lol:

like i said most of my mates in the states were from india and would talk about religions and the differences and what not. also since i read a lot about the different religions and took a few classes on religion so i was really hoping i was right...because that would mean my memory isnt as bad as everyone thinks it is! lol
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums