What's With The Plastic Covers On Car Seats.

Topic locked
What's with the plastic covers on car seats. Aug 28, 2006
I've been wondering; what's with the plastic covers on car seats. When I first arrived in Dubai I noticed this "phenomenom" and thought it had to do with someone just on the way from the dealer to their house. But even then I thought: "what a crappy dealer who could not even remove the plastic covers from the seats - I wouldn't go to that dealer".

Since then I have seen many people driving around in cars with plastic covers on their seats. Anything from crappy cars to Chayenne Turbo , Porsche 911, Range Rover HSE whatever, etc. etc.

What's the reason for this? Is it just to "say" "hey I have a new car"? Frankly some of those "new" cars look older than my 1987 Yugo!

Am I missing something (perhaps a "cultural" thing)? Or...

P.S. Don't start reporting on "sighting" of "plastic coverings" althought it would be fun.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2006
Its one of those Dubai things that can never be explained
DubaiLets
Dubai Forums Member

Re: What's with the plastic covers on car seats. Aug 28, 2006
Concord wrote:I've been wondering; what's with the plastic covers on car seats. When I first arrived in Dubai I noticed this "phenomenom" and thought it had to do with someone just on the way from the dealer to their house. But even then I thought: "what a crappy dealer who could not even remove the plastic covers from the seats - I wouldn't go to that dealer".

Since then I have seen many people driving around in cars with plastic covers on their seats. Anything from crappy cars to Chayenne Turbo , Porsche 911, Range Rover HSE whatever, etc. etc.

What's the reason for this? Is it just to "say" "hey I have a new car"? Frankly some of those "new" cars look older than my 1987 Yugo!

Am I missing something (perhaps a "cultural" thing)? Or...

P.S. Don't start reporting on "sighting" of "plastic coverings" althought it would be fun.

It's just so everyone knows you have a new car, the real strange thing is they keep them on for so long, sometimes years.
Some years ago you would see them with the Import Documents stuck on the side window, sometimes faded from the sun, but still up on the window.
Strange :? :? :?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 29, 2006
or it could be the 'we dont care' attitude thingy... :?
dale
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2006
They are probably trying to maintain the resale value of the car by having the plastic seat cover still on.

The rest of the car maybe falling apart but at least the seats look brand new. Hey, they still have the original plastic cover from the factory :lol:

I bet if brand new car comes wrapped in plastic from the factory, people will not take it off and drive around with it.
JeepDude
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 29, 2006
Its for easy removal of "stains" that may get you into trouble! :D :D
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 29, 2006
'Shrug' no idea, just looks silly to me.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 29, 2006
i guess its to maintain them in mint condition as long as they can. when my cousin bought his car he was not willing to take it off but after a week of driving around with the covers on he just ripped them off :)

i took them off right on the day i got the car
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 29, 2006
this is fairly common in india, where (cheapos?) dont remove the plastic so that whenever everyone they know see the car, thay think its brand new. and it supposedly also retains the resale value of the car?! (get seat covers for god's sake if that bothers you!)

believe me you dont want to be sitting in one of those cars for a long drive on a warm summer day! :pukeright:

this probably originated in india and its bad that its spreading to other parts of the world. someone should do something before its a global epidemic :lol:
zaidinamdar
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 29, 2006
Concord, funny you should mention the plastic covering on the automobile seats. Since moving here I thought the same as you. Never have been able to figure it out, other than it seems it would not be very comfy or cozy to sit on in heat, and surprised it doesn't melt into the interior of seat with the heat the way it is at times.

It is some sort of a strange mentality around here............like it adds value to the car??? Go figure!
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 29, 2006
Its the same thing as the reason people leave the import signs on the car .. stupid but they think it makes them look like they have a new car!!

Alternatively somtimes it just becasue they have just had the seat covers cleaned
Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2006
whatever the reason is for sure its uncomfortable to seat with those plastic cover on it :?
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 29, 2006
Along these lines but what bugs me even more is the people that keep those fricken blue foamy things on their car that are used when the car is shipped from the factory to the dealership. I also see the occasional car that still has the plastic on the hood or doors that factories use during shipping :shock:

Also why are you paying Dealer Prep on a car if they aren't taking the plastic of the seats, removing the blue foamies, etc?
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 29, 2006
fayz wrote:Along these lines but what bugs me even more is the people that keep those fricken blue foamy things on their car that are used when the car is shipped from the factory to the dealership. I also see the occasional car that still has the plastic on the hood or doors that factories use during shipping :shock:

Also why are you paying Dealer Prep on a car if they aren't taking the plastic of the seats, removing the blue foamies, etc?

Hey Fayz,

I think you will find the ones that have the external plastic on the hood etc, are being exported again privately and just being driven around for a couple of days whilst the paperwork is being done.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 29, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
fayz wrote:Along these lines but what bugs me even more is the people that keep those fricken blue foamy things on their car that are used when the car is shipped from the factory to the dealership. I also see the occasional car that still has the plastic on the hood or doors that factories use during shipping :shock:

Hey Fayz,

I think you will find the ones that have the external plastic on the hood etc, are being exported again privately and just being driven around for a couple of days whilst the paperwork is being done.

Nope believe me .. people are stupid .. the dealers are lazy and seeing as some people are too dumb to know there shouldn't be blue foam squares on their car .. why should the lazy sods bother to take them off ...
Cargirl
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2006
Cargirl wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Hey Fayz,

Nope believe me .. people are stupid .. the dealers are lazy and seeing as some people are too dumb to know there shouldn't be blue foam squares on their car .. why should the lazy sods bother to take them off ...

Actually Cargirl,

I happen to know for sure that this is the reason that most of the cars have that protective plastic stuck on the hood. I even know some people personally that have done it, kept the vehicle here for +/- week and then re-exported again. A major part of Dubai's income comes from Import & re-export.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 29, 2006
Most of the people who leave the plastic on are the same ones who don't wear seatbelts. It helps their face accelerate to the windshield when they have an accident.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 29, 2006
mraph33 wrote:Most of the people who leave the plastic on are the same ones who don't wear seatbelts. It helps their face accelerate to the windshield when they have an accident.

This would be for the inside.

I was actually refering to the plastic on the hood that you sometimes see.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto