Help! Moving To UAE With Pets!

Topic locked
Help! Moving to UAE with pets! Aug 19, 2006
Hi,
As the title suggests I may be moving back to the UAE! Yay!

I lived in Abu dhabi previously and have been back in the UK for several years now. It looks like we may be moving to Dubai this time.

Here is my problem! We have just acquired two gorgeous kittens, and although we wouldn't expect to move for several months, I just couldn't bear to rehome them. The opportunity to move has just cropped up out of the blue and was totally unexpected otherwise i wouldn't have agreed to adopt them!

We will most likely rent an apartment. What is the general rule with cats? I remember when I was last there that a lot of friends had cats in apartments, but I was wondering is this was rare, and do many landlords not allow pets as a rule?

They will both be fully vaccinated, microchipped and 'fixed' before we move. When I was last there we lived in a villa and had a dog, so I am aware of the concerns there, but have not heard nor seen of any problems with cats.

Also, can anyone recommend some companies that might be able to help with their relocation? I have seen the Dubai Kennels & Cattery but was wondering if there were any other firms out there or in the UK?

Has anyone tried to relocate with pets without the help of a relocation company? if so, how was it?! If they travel with us they will most likely have to be boarded for a little while as we will probably stay in a hotel until an apartment comes up. What should i expect to pay for cattery fees in Dubai? Is it generally on par with the UK?

I hope someone can give me some advice on this one!
Cheers,
Hels

hels
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Aug 20, 2006
hi there,

i don't know it this will be much use. i'm currently in the same position, but going in the opposite direction. i have had to get all the vacinations and microchipping done for my cat as well. i also seem to remember one of the vacinations has to be adminstered at least 6 months prior to the move (will check the vets card).

i've looked both at moving the cat myself and having a company do it for me. after asking my vet, Dubai Kennels & Cattery seems to be the only place that realy caters to moving animals in and out of dubai - well i should say the only place with a good reputation. i have thier card at home and can let you have the details if you need them.

cats in appartments are normally not allowed, some places have specific clauses regarding pets in the appartment and can use this to break your contract (and keep your deposit) if you are found out. i am in this situation, and have to sneak the cat in and out of the apparetment whenever it needs to go to the vet or a maintenance person from the building turns up. if the cats are quiet and thier litter trays kept clean then there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to be any the wiser.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Aug 20, 2006
DKC is great , i don't know the details on fees but my dog had a good experience in their kennel. good service.
sly
Dubai Forum User

Aug 20, 2006
Greetings!

We used Air Animal from U.S. to Dubai. Dubai Kennel and Cattery were on the recieving end in Dubai for us. They got our dog through customs, and delivered her to our villa. Great people, awesome communication, and have used them since we moved a year ago. They have a website if you would like to take a look at dkc.ae
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 20, 2006
Greetings!

We used Air Animal from U.S. to Dubai. Dubai Kennel and Cattery were on the recieving end in Dubai for us. They got our dog through customs, and delivered her to our villa. Great people, awesome communication, and have used them since we moved a year ago. They have a website if you would like to take a look at dkc.ae
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum