Moving To UAE, Help!

Topic locked
Moving to UAE, help! Aug 09, 2006
I'm from Philippines and I'm planning to move to UAE. I have a job offer from Dubai and Abu Dhabi as an auditor and I still can't decide which one will I accept. Both offer are basically the same. Actually, my plan is to work in UAE for 1-2 years only and then apply for work in US or UK. So, I want to know where is the best place to work in UAE (Abu Dhabi or Dubai), the one which could help me to find/be accepted for work in US or UK.

Hope someone could help me to decide :(

garfield26
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 09, 2006
the cost of living is genreally higher in Abu Dhabi compared to Dubai ....... it also depends where u live and if u can save enough in two years.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2006
sniper420 wrote:the cost of living is genreally higher in Abu Dhabi compared to Dubai ....... it also depends where u live and if u can save enough in two years.

i thought it was the other way around :shock: dubai more expensive :shock:
I-No-Jack
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 09, 2006
I-No-Jack wrote:
sniper420 wrote:the cost of living is genreally higher in Abu Dhabi compared to Dubai ....... it also depends where u live and if u can save enough in two years.

i thought it was the other way around :shock: dubai more expensive :shock:

I think so to, used to be the other way around until about 18months ago I think
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 09, 2006
Good comparative info posted here: http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7769

Would help for you to pay attention!

Cost of living - Dubai > AD

Also factor into your decision people's reaction from the US/UK - Dubai: Cool place. AD: Abu where?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2006
DUBAI!!! No doubt about it!!! AUH is a difficult place to work unless it for an reputable MNC.
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 09, 2006
Yeh. I also want to know the feedback from persons from US/UK. If I apply for work in the US/UK, do you think that the place that I've worked for (Dubai or Abu Dhabi) would become a factor? Does it make any difference? I've heard that Dubai is a more cosmopolitan city than Abu Dhabi.
garfield26
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 09, 2006
Definitely Abu Dhabi.
Dubai is artificial, Mickey Mouse land. Only Expats and strange people. Everyone wants only money and if you have none you're out. Everything is about Work and Have.
AD is much more natural. Much greener. People are friendlier.
That's my advice.

According to your chances later - depends on your job! But I would also say Dubai is more expensive. If you want cosmopolitan, spend money, go to dubai, where flats have become unaffordable.
gokm
gokm
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 09, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Good comparative info posted here: http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7769

Would help for you to pay attention!

Cost of living - Dubai > AD

Also factor into your decision people's reaction from the US/UK - Dubai: Cool place. AD: Abu where?

Most of this was comparing the size.

- Abu Dhabi is smaller than Dubai, which means less time to get from one end to another. Also means your office location need not define where you live. As cabs are plentiful and dirt cheap, not driving too is not an issue.
- Rents are slightly lower than Dubai, but seems to be going up at almost the same rate. Owners are also not bound by any laws on rent caps, and so can raise them at will.
- Cost of other things are the same across the UAE.

So yes, Dubai is a little more expensive than Abu Dhabi.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 09, 2006
gokm wrote:Definitely Abu Dhabi.
Dubai is artificial, Mickey Mouse land. Only Expats and strange people. Everyone wants only money and if you have none you're out. Everything is about Work and Have.
AD is much more natural. Much greener. People are friendlier.
That's my advice.

Dubai is what you make it and it caters to your desires.

If you want to piss and moan about it, it can cater to that too.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 09, 2006
garfield26 wrote:Yeh. I also want to know the feedback from persons from US/UK. If I apply for work in the US/UK, do you think that the place that I've worked for (Dubai or Abu Dhabi) would become a factor? Does it make any difference? I've heard that Dubai is a more cosmopolitan city than Abu Dhabi.

Depends of what you did in Dubai. The mere fact that you worked in Dubai and Abu Dhabi by itself won't be a factor unless the job you are applying for in the US/UK happens to be in a jewish temple (then perhaps it could be a problem).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum