I Need A Hobby. (What's Yours?)

Topic locked
Aug 06, 2006
:lol: Well, Akido teaches you how to take on a whole bunch of guys at the same time. Perfect for handling those annoying bar brawl situations. Wouldn't that be helpful in Australia? :wink:

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 06, 2006
kanelli wrote::lol: Well, Akido teaches you how to take on a whole bunch of guys at the same time. Perfect for handling those annoying bar brawl situations. Wouldn't that be helpful in Australia? :wink:

I think being able to be bashed in the head with a railway sleeper and stay coherent would be more helpful :wink:
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 06, 2006
Aikido is a great martial art, but there are aggressive forms and less aggressive forms of the art as well. Steven Seagal is a Aikido expert and uses Aikido holds and throws in his movies (but please don't judge Aikido by the quality of SS's acting!)

I did an introductory course in Aikido in the UK, but never took it up.. there is an Aikido club in Dubai and I have the schedule...kanelli if you take it up let me know and I may tag along.
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 06, 2006
shafique wrote:Aikido is a great martial art, but there are aggressive forms and less aggressive forms of the art as well. Steven Seagal is a Aikido expert and uses Aikido holds and throws in his movies (but please don't judge Aikido by the quality of SS's acting!)

I did an introductory course in Aikido in the UK, but never took it up.. there is an Aikido club in Dubai and I have the schedule...kanelli if you take it up let me know and I may tag along.

I would most definately be keen for that...
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 06, 2006
I miss horse riding, but it's too hot at the moment and not many places to do it either :cry:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 06, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I miss horse riding, but it's too hot at the moment and not many places to do it either :cry:

Wow, I haven't ridden a horse in a long time.
^ian^

Aug 06, 2006
I was bringing on an Irish Thoroughbred for a friend but then she left the company so I couldn't go anymore - booohoo!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 06, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I was bringing on an Irish Thoroughbred for a friend but then she left the company so I couldn't go anymore - booohoo!

My uncle owns a property west of Rockhampton near a little town called Blackwater. We used to go there on weekends and during the school holiday and do the cattle-raring thing.

I used to have a particular horse I liked riding called "Cobalt". Unfortunately, one week I turned up to find that Cobalt had been replaced by a Yamaha YZ-250. Trailbikes just aren't the same, although a lot of serious fun.

Sounds like straight out of McLeod's Daughters doesn't it? How stereotypical is this, my uncle also used to have 2 dogs - 1 was blind, the other was deaf and they used to help each other around the property.
^ian^

Aug 06, 2006
Ahhhh sweet. Well I used to do the whole thing when I was younger, dressage, show jumping, cross country - awsome fun, luckily I just used to bounce when I came off every now and then, but hairaising bombing through the countryside over 4ft jumps.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 06, 2006
Oops, sorry for spelling Aikido wrong. I was going by my friend's pronunciation. (Didn't actually look it up!) Bad girl. :oops:

I'll find out some more info on the Dubai Aikido place. Seems like there might be a group of us interested.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 06, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:hairaising bombing through the countryside over 4ft jumps.

That's what the trailbike was for :D

I thought about Quad biking as a hobby, that would be serious fun. Not as agile as a trailbike, but a touch safer and a different experience.
^ian^

Aug 06, 2006
kanelli wrote:Oops, sorry for spelling Aikido wrong. I was going by my friend's pronunciation. (Didn't actually look it up!) Bad girl. :oops:

I'll find out some more info on the Dubai Aikido place. Seems like there might be a group of us interested.

No need u forgot i work for a fitness and sports portal ,heres what ur lookin for :)

Aikido Club Dubai
Dubai Karate center
Al wasl road
Jumeirah
Ph - 050 7952716/3347792
web site - http://www.aikido-uae.net/

cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 06, 2006
kanelli wrote::lol: Well, Akido teaches you how to take on a whole bunch of guys at the same time. Perfect for handling those annoying bar brawl situations. Wouldn't that be helpful in Australia? :wink:

I've actually done Karate...and was a yellow belt...but trust me...when you are in a real fight...the only thing that helps is street fighting...and a strong will not to back down...or a good presence of mind to walk away if need be...but having said that...am curious to see how well i can adopt to aikido...as the techniques and principals are radically different...
constantine

Aug 06, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I miss horse riding, but it's too hot at the moment and not many places to do it either :cry:

:cry:

felines and horses r THE most in animal world
raidah

Aug 06, 2006
Yep there's nothing like it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 06, 2006
Thanks Jerry, you're a doll!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 07, 2006
Jeevan wrote:
kanelli wrote:Oops, sorry for spelling Aikido wrong. I was going by my friend's pronunciation. (Didn't actually look it up!) Bad girl. :oops:

No need u forgot i work for a fitness and sports portal ,heres what ur lookin for :)

Aikido Club Dubai
Dubai Karate center
Al wasl road
Jumeirah
Ph - 050 7952716/3347792
web site - http://www.aikido-uae.net/

cheers,

Jerry

Hey Jeevan,

You know any where you can do muay thai?

AJB
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 07, 2006
ajb wrote:Hey Jeevan,

AJB

My mates and I can spar with ya.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
ajb wrote:Hey Jeevan,

AJB

My mates and I can spar with ya.

Thanks X

Im a total novice with the muay thai but always wanted to learn it .... was brown belt at Kempo when I was 12 though. How long have you done it?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 07, 2006
ajb wrote:Thanks X

Im a total novice with the muay thai but always wanted to learn it .... was brown belt at Kempo when I was 12 though. How long have you done it?

I haven't trained for years mate, just muck around here and there now days. My mate is ranked 1 in the feather weight boxing here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:
ajb wrote:Thanks X

I haven't trained for years mate, just muck around here and there now days. My mate is ranked 1 in the feather weight boxing here.

Cool should definitely have a go once Im up there .... would your mate be interested in giving lessons?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 07, 2006
Hey Jeevan,

AJB

Sure AJB

Check

Colosseum Muay Thai Health and fitness club,
Montana Building, Zabeel road
Ph - 04 -3372755
look for an instructor called eddie - a gaint walking on earth:) hes an international competitor and real good.

I am not sure about the number though, let me know if this number works of i will try to look up for eddies cell number.

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2006
Jeevan wrote:Hey Jeevan,

AJB

Sure AJB

Check

Colosseum Muay Thai Health and fitness club,
Montana Building, Zabeel road
Ph - 04 -3372755
look for an instructor called eddie - a gaint walking on earth:) hes an international competitor and real good.

I am not sure about the number though, let me know if this number works of i will try to look up for eddies cell number.

Cheers,

Jerry

Cheers Jerry,

I won't be permanently up there till about october so will let you know how I get on then .... cheers

AJB
ajb
Dubai chat master

Re: I need a hobby. (What's yours?) Aug 07, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Now that I find I have a chunk of free time on my hands... I need a hobby.

So as usual, I'm going to ask you guys, what are your hobbies, and what do you think would be a good hobby for me?

Over to you forumers!

Before when I was still in college I loved climbing mountains (for a hobby ok? , im not a monkey :P ) With that comes drinking and travelling of course.

In Japan visiting disco/bars, drinking, and travelling still.

But when I came to Dubai...OMG no mountains to climb, no good bars for me...what can I say my hobby now is DF :? walla! :twisted:
zam

zam wrote:But when I came to Dubai...OMG no mountains to climb, no good bars for me...what can I say my hobby now is DF :? walla! :twisted:

You can always try free fall from the sky scrapers :idea:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 07, 2006
AJB
the same dojo that teaches Aikido also teaches Muay thai...check the website jeevan forwarded...Muay Thai is listed among the choice of martial arts...
constantine

XRW-147 wrote:
zam wrote:But when I came to Dubai...OMG no mountains to climb, no good bars for me...what can I say my hobby now is DF :? walla! :twisted:

You can always try free fall from the sky scrapers :idea:

dont want to...its too hot.. :!:
zam

Aug 08, 2006
Since, you;re not fond of cooking...which is my hobby here...
and all of those that they mentioned...

Why not try to buy a bus card ...and try all the bus nos... from jumeira, to gold souk, to deira, satwa and others...
you'll see whole of dubai for only 100dhs a month and you'll have the experience of bearing the bad smell of all the passengers...what an adventure... :lol: :lol:
then when you tire yourself ..go to abra for only 50fils...and take some bread and feed the birds ...you get to see the creek and help to feed the birds... :wink:

basically i don;t have a car so i get to do this almost everyday..
but you can make it your hobby if you want... :D
isabela
Dubai Expat Helper

Texas Hold 'em Aug 08, 2006
Did someone mention Texas Hold 'em? When I came, customs took my poker kit, those.....lovely people :roll: but anyway where can i get a kit, or how do i find out where people play....I wouldnt mind making some money.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Texas Hold 'em Aug 09, 2006
bushra21 wrote:Did someone mention Texas Hold 'em? When I came, customs took my poker kit, those.....lovely people :roll: but anyway where can i get a kit, or how do i find out where people play....I wouldnt mind making some money.

if you want that mustang...you are sure gonna need it...dont think you can get poker chips here...but if we do have a poker night...will keep ya in mind....depending on if you can produce that fake ID of yours :wink:
constantine

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat