Daily Clothing In Dubai?

Topic locked
Daily clothing in Dubai? Jul 02, 2006
Hi everyone, I am moving to Dubai soon. I live in Australia and am usually wearing singlets and thongs...I was just wondering what sort of clothes are okay to wear? Can I wear thongs? (As in shoe thongs...im an aussie) or is Dubai too modest?

any help would be great...I have no idea what to pack! :shock:

Rose91
Dubai Forum User

Jul 02, 2006
Thongs are fine - maybe not in the office though depending on where you work. Singlets for a bloke in public will look a little odd but it's not unheard of. Lots of women wear singlets/strappy tops in public. Skirts/shorts are common too.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Daily clothing in Dubai? Jul 02, 2006
Rose91 wrote:Hi everyone, I am moving to Dubai soon. I live in Australia and am usually wearing singlets and thongs...I was just wondering what sort of clothes are okay to wear? Can I wear thongs? (As in shoe thongs...im an aussie) or is Dubai too modest?

any help would be great...I have no idea what to pack! :shock:

Not sure what you do in Australia but you cannot walk around wearing a thong in Dubai.... Are you mad?!!! On the beach, yes, but I (and many) don't agree with it.

Not sure what a singlet is so I looked it up :). In most countries its called a tank top in English and yes, that is allowed in Dubai. Of course it depends where. I would wear it to the creek or in Diera or in Bur Dubai but in the more Western parts of DBX (AD side of the creek) there is no problem with a tank top.

To get back to you thong thing.... WTF?!?! :shock:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 02, 2006
"As in shoe thongs......"

"Not sure what you do in Australia but you cannot walk around wearing a thong in Dubai"

Spot the sharpest tool in the box.......not :lol:
GK
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jul 02, 2006
For the safety of the forum I think thongs should be referred to as their other name - pluggers.

For some reason people call them flip-flops... but I don't like that name.

And yes its fine, I wear them all the time.

It's pretty much fine to wear most wear that is acceptable in public in Australia. Don't go shirts-off though as this isn't generally tolerated by either sex.

All in all though I haven't found what little of my aussie wardrobe I brought with me a problem at all. It was quite handy the other night at the meet whilst everyone was melting. I wasn't as Hawaiin as DK was though.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 02, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Don't go shirts-off though as this isn't generally tolerated by either fun.

I think there is actually a regulation saying shirts-off is not permitted in public (except presumably at beaches).

By the way, if you visit Sharjah, they have Decency Laws meaning strappy tops, singlets, shorts and bum-thongs are not ok. Supposedly. Foot-thongs are fine though.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 02, 2006
haha i was only making sure there was no confusion!

thanks everyone :)
Rose91
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum