Nice reply shareawdi! :)

GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 24, 2006
GAB wrote:Nice reply shareawdi! :)

sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 02, 2006
raidah wrote:ill start by saying that im a protestant christian, so that nobody would call me names for what ill say.
unfortunately the church has very little to do with faith or religion. meaning that its and has always been more about dogmas and controll over people. so why would the church wellcome anything that is different from what it has been preached for so long? by admitting smthing "new" they would undermine their own power and legitimacy. any question or issue that would come to the attention of the world, is just simply not acceptable for the mere fact that is uncompatible with the politics of the church.
secondly, their is a passage in the bible. it says-don t throw pearls to the pigs. if i remember well, not just anybody, but jesus says those words. well, its a methaphore and in translation it means that there r things that r just not for the masses, because they would simply not understand it. in other words the bible is a code and we don t know the most of it.

so sorry if smbody feels offended, but i think one can "gain" more by saying a pray at home and being a nice persone with others, than going everyday to church, "acting" like a good christian and not even thinking about he says he believes in.

Yes great post .... Within Christianity there are two very obvious groups ... the first being the followers - people who live by a set of beliefs which they feel sets appropriate boundaries and allows them to live fulfilling lives. The other group is the Church - one of the most rich, powerful, extremely oppressive and violent organisation in the world.

I think too many people have blind faith in a book (i.e. the bible) that has been written and rewritten by the heads of such a powerful institution ..... Its quite funny to see people pointing out that the Da vinci code is fiction but fail to realise that the Bible is also (it has never been credited as a book of history)
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 02, 2006
ajb wrote:Its quite funny to see people pointing out that the Da vinci code is fiction but fail to realise that the Bible is also (it has never been credited as a book of history)

You're comparing apples with pears.

The DVC is not claimed to be non-fiction by anyone, including the author.

The Bible is claimed to be non-fiction by a significant number of people. And anyway, I don't think it was ever intended to be a history book.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 02, 2006
raidah wrote: it means that there r things that r just not for the masses, because they would simply not understand it.

You have touched a treasure :)

raidah wrote:in other words the bible is a code and we don t know the most of it.

I think its better to put it this way, that such religious books were meant to be for the mass , and because it came to speak to them and to convey a message, it should be for all but... its like a place full of everything.. every one will get what ever he/she is looking for as long as they can recognize it and pick it up.
Intimacy
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 02, 2006
Plz lets try to see the big picture...
Intimacy
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 03, 2006
sharewadi wrote:
ajb wrote:Its quite funny to see people pointing out that the Da vinci code is fiction but fail to realise that the Bible is also (it has never been credited as a book of history)

You're comparing apples with pears.

The DVC is not claimed to be non-fiction by anyone, including the author.

The Bible is claimed to be non-fiction by a significant number of people. And anyway, I don't think it was ever intended to be a history book.

You miss my point.

People claiming the bible is non-fiction vs being an accurate record of events that have really happened in the past are such very different concepts. The earth was claimed to be flat by a significant number of people too .... it didnt make it real.

The DVC itself may be recognised as fiction but the many books which Dan Brown researched are written by people who have devoted their life to reasearching the very concepts that the Da Vinci Code is based on albeight a dramatised version (otherwise it wouldnt sell).
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 03, 2006
ajb wrote:You miss my point.

Correct, I don't follow the point of either post now :? .

I thought you were making a comparison between the Bible and the DVC as historical narrratives. To me that's a meaningless comparison since neither book is a historical narrative, and if you go to a library ...

The Bible is found in the non-fiction section under the Religions category.

The DVC is found in the fiction section.

I think HBHG is found in the History section, but it's generally regarded as bunk now.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums