Do You Download Music In The Internet?

Topic locked
Do you download music in the internet? May 10, 2006
sorry, if this is not interesting for you, but i want to discuss the problem of free music in the internet.

there are many sites where you can

You don't have to pay for it because you can find free music downloads[/url].
there is a kind of war between singers that don't like
and people that doesn't want to pay and looks for
i think that music must be almost free because lot's of people just can't afford buing music and they try tofor free.

may be not every must be free
i can't imagine one who looks for if it is really qualitive it may cost money...

but if youyou should not pay

so what is your opinion on this subject?
do you
i used so many links just to check BB-code... actually i've neevr used it before...
there is nothing interesting there. don't click.

music
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

May 10, 2006
As I have said before and as someone who works in the music biz and has to deal with copy right issues etc etc - downloading music for FREE is ILLEGAL!!! Full Stop!

If you donwload or P2P share music, be it MP3 or any other format, you are basically stealing, you are robbing the artist, writer, producer, composer, record company, distributor of income which they earn from royalties. It's like you slogging your guts out and then not getting paid at the end of it.

Every radio station, tv station, pub, club, venue etc that plays music also must pay royalities in the form of buying wither a PRS or MCPS licence. In most countries the amount payable is worked by using audience figures, how far your transmission area is etc etc. (I won't go into the ins and outs as it's very complicated)

Just the same as when you buy music, the money you pay gets split between all or the afor mentioned people.

People are now being successfully sued and taken to court for downloading music by the record companies. They gave been given fines and very often jail terms for holding thousands of music, video files on their computers. Record companies are now wise to sites like Kazaa and deliberately upload fake files with just loops of a few bars of the song, or by the time you finish, you end up with 20 minutes of silence, not to mention a few viruses to boot!

Now - interesting issue - what happens in a country like the UAE, where there are no copyright laws? People here get away with so much it's not true! But copyright laws WILL be introduced here and very very soon, then alot of people will have a lot of work to do!

There are so many cheap download sites now which are legal to use. 99 cents for most tracks, plus downloads are now accounting for chart positions. American artist Gnarls Barkley was the first artist ever to hit the UK number 1 with a track which was only available on download. So the record companies have now conceded that the downlaod market is far bigger than the cd singles market.

There are a few free download sites, but these are normally special sites approved by companies to preview their tunes.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 10, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Now - interesting issue - what happens in a country like the UAE, where there are no copyright laws?

I thought there were copyright laws here - just the enforcement was lacking (odd really :shock: ). Wasn't there some report last year on copyright adherence that upgraded the UAE for their efforts over the previous year?
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 11, 2006
I'm not too sure to be honest.

But there's a big conference happening at the end of this month for people in the industry and it's a topic up for discussion, so I'll be very interested to hear what happens at that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 11, 2006
I believe the copyright exists in the country of issue. Therefore Sony for example can prosecute or take action using the US or English system even in Dubai.

All they would have to do is seek leave to have the case heard in the Dubai Legal system.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 12, 2006
Erm - the OP looks like a drive-by spammer to my mind. YMMV. Personally I'd delete it.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 12, 2006
good point secret

i have removed all the url links
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 12, 2006
Great! I just recognised the "style" as similar to the spam blog comments we get frequently, most of which are stopped by the word verification system, but not all.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat