Cards.

Topic locked
Cards. Oct 23, 2012
As it is fast approaching Christmas, I thought about cards (for approximately 5 seconds) this morning.

I send quite a few cards to friends and being a bit lazy, I used to order them and have them printed at WH Smith. I stopped that last year as with the price of the card and postage I was up to nearly £3.00 per transaction. That had to stop!

Last year I bought charity Christmas cards and my chosen charity was ‘Help For Heros’. A very worthy cause I thought.

In the last few years I’ve noticed that the cards I’m receiving has dropped. Discounting the odd dead relative, I was still down and I did notice that Beth wasn’t bringing the same amount home from school that she used to.
Yesterday was Beth’s friend’s birthday. I had told Beth to buy her friend a card and we would drop it in when passing. She didn’t buy the card as instructed and I asked her why. ‘Cards don’t mean anything. I text her this morning.’

I think sending cards, whether it be birthday, Christmas, Easter or any Eid is going out of fashion.

Do you send cards?

BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Cards. Oct 23, 2012
I donot send cards, although I have to admit I like receiving them. For most I like to send a card, I donot have their address. :? My address also changed regurlary and people might lost track.

I noticed that people stop sending cards, after not getting a card back after three times. After I noticed this I wanted to know more. and indeed people keep an administration who they send cards, and from whom they receive cards. Three crosses behind your name and you're out. I am not sure how to get back on the list again, this might differ per person. Are you back on the list after one card, two or three?
Like Beth, I also text a lot with b-days and holidays. A lot of times you get a positive reaction back immediately.
FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

I sent my first card when I was about 7. It was sent to my father who was in the Military and would be away from home for weeks sometimes. I was totally fascinated and mystified by how my card (on which I had drawn a house in red and green crayon, with an oversized airplane in orange with 5 or 6 windows flying above it ) got to him! I had a cousin who also doubled as my best friend and worst enemy in those days. In between trying to gouge our eyes out and punching each others faces, we also excelled in the art of tree climbing. I was the first to learn the English alphabet as I was put in an English medium school, so called, where I had mastered the English alphabet all the way from A to Z. My cousin wanted me to write a card to his cousin in English to impress her. Of course, he would pretend it was written by him! He presumed that since I had mastered the alphabet, I could write whole sentences, and I did nothing to discourage him. So, while he spoke about his great admiration for her, I wrote the ABCs making them appear like sentences! He then carefully put the card in an envelope and sealed it with, not a kiss, but a heavy dose of his saliva. Someone else wrote the address for him. Of course, I never expected the card to get anywhere, but it did. I can now understand the hilarity when our 3 families met several months later, whenever I appeared on the scene they would point at me and start laughing. We still talk about it!
Then, like summer rain, my card sending reached a crescendo: birthdays, marriages, someone dying, Christmas, Eid, you name it and a card would be winging on its way, and then it died down to a trickle, and finally, nothing.
Now, I receive cards occasionally. Mostly (come to think of it, almost exclusively) from wonderful ladies expressing their sentiments in beautiful long hand, which I treasure greatly :D
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

I still send a few cards, mind you it is becoming out of fashion these days
Norrie
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Cards. Oct 24, 2012
I think you are right Norrie. When you can text for free, why buy a card and pay postage?

I have to say I do like to close the curtains on a winters night, sit back with a glass of Chardonnay and a turkey sandwich and admire my Christmas cards. I'm not much in to dusting so I hang them all up on string from my beams in the living room, out of the way. The biggest ones have pride of place, down to those little ones. Personally I never send tiny cards.

--- Oct 24, 2012 ---

FlyingDutchman wrote:I donot send cards, although I have to admit I like receiving them. For most I like to send a card, I donot have their address. :? My address also changed regurlary and people might lost track.

I noticed that people stop sending cards, after not getting a card back after three times. After I noticed this I wanted to know more. and indeed people keep an administration who they send cards, and from whom they receive cards. Three crosses behind your name and you're out. I am not sure how to get back on the list again, this might differ per person. Are you back on the list after one card, two or three?
Like Beth, I also text a lot with b-days and holidays. A lot of times you get a positive reaction back immediately.

I think sending cards has become woman's work FD. Men are to lazy to be bothered to go out and make a purchase.
A spreadsheet for cards? That's a brilliant idea. I don't have one but I get my old address book out every Christmas and work my way through it. It's not so much the addresses that change, but people keep getting married and I lose track of their current name :shock:

--- 1 seconds ago ---

I laughed at your story FF till you dropped that bit in about your followers. You are a very bad man FF!

--- Oct 24, 2012 ---

Thank The Lord I only text :D
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Sending them out , no , But i have given birthday cards , strangely enough females tend to really appreciate the sentinment , when I get a brithday card , I try my level best not to offend the person , and falsely proclaim such a warm and wonderful gesture it waw...
zubbber
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

BMreformed wrote:I laughed at your story FF till you dropped that bit in about your followers.

Just some old biddies who can only eat their potatoes mashed. And then you might have to rescue their dentures as an emergency :D
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat