Abu Dhabi Government Employees Forced To Live In Abu Dhabi

Topic locked
Abu Dhabi Government employees forced to live in Abu Dhabi Sep 17, 2012
Uh-Oh - another crazy ruling that's going to cause chaos for thousands of people.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/abu-d ... -1.1077136

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Abu Dhabi Government Employees Forced To Live In Abu Dha Sep 17, 2012
It is for govt employees (including govt owned companies), they are probably doing this to save Abu Dhabi property market, lot of units are about to come up in Al Reem Island soon. Rental prices and property prices will slide down really fast if there are not many tenants available to rent.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

As always, even more hilarious are the reasons given such weird laws into place.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Yea but I guess they can't clearly say they want more demand in abu dhabi property market. How it will affect Dubai property market? Lot of people live in Dubai and work in Abu Dhabi. I know cpl of people live here in Dubai and work in Abu Dhabi including locals. Singles esp prefer to live in Dubai. I don't have the figures but out of 100% from Abu Dhabi probably 20 to 30% are govt employees. I don't how know that will translate into actual numbers. But JLT, Marina, Greens, and Palm will start to see few vacancies in next few months. 300 to 500 is my minimum estimate.

--- Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm ---

desertdudeshj wrote:As always, even more hilarious are the reasons given such weird laws into place.
It has both positive and negatives, it might improve the work quality in Abu Dhabi and reduce accidents on highway. Not to mention allowance money circulating in Abu Dhabi economy. On the other hand, it will affect the property market of Southern Dubai and tenants from Abu Dhabi negatively. Might workout for Dubai tenants though with more vacancies. It might affect Dubai businesses related to Dubai property market like home appliances.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Of course its a positive, who likes to commute hour n a half to work and back. But Abu Dhabi is still very expensive rent wise, not to mention the jammed parking situation on the island. Add to that majority of the small apts are actually chopped up villas. Add to that, the la lords and real estate agents still insist on one or at the most two checks.

Plus forcing people to move isn't in their best interest.
desertdudeshj

^ I agree and I'm not sure it will make a major difference for Abu Dhabi property market, lot of units are coming up in Al Reem Island. Except few good quality ones, most will go down in prices and rents still.

--- Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm ---

desertdudeshj wrote:Add to that majority of the small apts are actually chopped up villas. Add to that, the la lords and real estate agents still insist on one or at the most two checks.
I think that will change with units finishing in Al Reem Island, and hence imo major demand in Al Reem will come from Abu Dhabi City itself.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

I don't think this has anything to with property at all, just another of those half baked laws or maybe lot of them coming to work of late and slacking off and blaming it on something, this being the long commute. ( Oh that's always been the case ! lol )
desertdudeshj

Re: Abu Dhabi Government Employees Forced To Live In Abu Dha Sep 18, 2012
It's a badly thought out ruling as usual and will affect thousands of people both expats and locals a alike. So what about people with families, where one might work in Ad and the other commutes in the other direction? What about childrem, forced to be taken out of school? Have they taken into account they will need to create hundreds of new school palces in AD? People 'choose' to commute for various reasons, not necessarily to save money but because it's more convenient for their circumstance.

What about homeowners? Those who have bought in Dubai or other Emirates? Are they forced to leave their home and rent it out? Madness!

They're peed off because all these commuters who live in Dubai and elsewhere are spending obviously in the emirate they live in, not the one they work in.

I hope it backfires spectacularly and people move to Al Ain instead.

My OH has already had this fight with his company and they relented, now it's all kicked off again. I tell you many people would rather quit and leave, than be force to live somewhere.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

desertdudeshj Add to that majority of the small apts are actually chopped up villas. Add to that, the la lords and real estate agents still insist on one or at the most two checks.

.[/quote]

many of which are still "illegal" and every now and then such villas have power cut off or warnings given
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Why don't they just build big expat compounds in each Emirate and be done with it?!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat