Airtravel Safer Than Car?

Topic locked
Airtravel safer than car? Jan 14, 2012
I have heard it many times that airtravel is safer than driving a car. But is it true? I made a quick calculation on the back of a beer coaster and it seems that if you calculate the amount of travels/trips (everytime you enter a car or plane), than car travel is safer. I didn't have the data if you take hours travelled or distance travelled as parameters, for which I do think airtravel is safer (just a gamble).. Does anyone know of any proof airtravel is safer than driving a car, and what clculations are used? To get the data yourself worldwide is kind of very difficult, if not impossible, especially concerning car driving.

Thanks.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Airtravel safer than car? Jan 15, 2012
Apparently air travel is 22 times safer than travelling by car. I think the thing is, when a plane crashes the sheer numbers involved make it more horrific.

http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/repor ... ar_1535114

ETA: what beer was the coaster advertising?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 16, 2012
Grolsch :D
professorgreen
BANNED

Chocoholic , Not just the numbers the time it takes to think about life before the plane imapcts.

The recent Azerbaijan flight crash took 3 minutes falling out of the sky upside down, sideways and nose first before impact. Imagine being onboard?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock , That's why they have pure oxygen in the face masks - it makes you high!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

The only thing is on a system failure, the masks fail to deploy so full awareness plus adrenilin all the way down.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Damn it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

drewpeacock wrote:The recent Azerbaijan flight crash took 3 minutes falling out of the sky upside down, sideways and nose first before impact. Imagine being onboard?

Exactly my thoughts each time I sit myself down all tensed up, on a comfortable seat inside that huge aluminium/titanium tube!

If it begins to fall out of the sky, it will not be much consolation reminding yourself of the statistics of how safe air travel is.
You are the statistic then! On the wrong side of the equation! :shock:
zonker
BANNED

I fly every weak almost with my emergency plan to jump in the air for the last metre. Will that work?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Wel known fact, safest form of travel by air.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 17, 2012
sage & onion wrote:Wel known fact, safest form of travel by air.

I am not a believer. I think I can make a strong case that air travel is the unsafest form of public transportation.

Whether air travel is safer than private car travel, it does depend on how you calculate it, but in general yes, I think its safer.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 18, 2012
drewpeacock wrote:I fly every weak almost with my emergency plan to jump in the air for the last metre. Will that work?

That'll work. You just need a little practice.
zonker
BANNED

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 19, 2012
Well there are some airlines you should just never fly with, always take a look at their safety records.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Well there are some airlines you should just never fly with, always take a look at their safety records.

Very true.

Just googling for safety records, I found an interesting link.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/square/ca14/ALYCIDON%20RAIL/INFORMED%20SOURCES%20ARCHIVE/INF%20SRCS%202000/Informed%20Sources%2010%202000.htm

Safety is listed for three cases: hours travelled, distance travelled and per journey. Air travel is the unsafest form of public transportation when calculating per journey or hours travelled. Checking per journey, private car travel is safer than air travel, as expected. If we look at distance travelled, air travel is by far the safest form of transportation. Mystery solved :-).
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Airtravel safer than car? Jan 19, 2012
Avoid Russian or African airlines at all costs
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

drewpeacock , and a few Asian airlines as well.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Without saying Chocs. I was once on a flight in Africa that did crash the following day with all onboard gone.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 20, 2012
Well safer, until the plane crashes. There are more chances of surviving a car crash than a plane crash.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 21, 2012
Nucleus , But what are the actual chaces of a plane crashing? Considering how many flights there are globally on a daily basis, compare that with the number of car wrecks there are and there is no comparison.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Nucleus , But what are the actual chaces of a plane crashing? Considering how many flights there are globally on a daily basis, compare that with the number of car wrecks there are and there is no comparison.
But when a crash happens I like to be in a car than a plane. Sure less crashes, but survival chances are very dim if it happens. But I do travel through airlines. Just saying why some people might be more worried about air travel compared to land.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nucleus wrote:Sure less crashes, but survival chances are very dim if it happens.

The chance you survive a plane crash are very high. The far majority of people in airline crashes survive.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 22, 2012
Not in the news. In the news seems like most die unless it is a runway crash at the take off or landing.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

it's pretty obvious that everyone is gonna die, even superman has little chance thrown from 30,000 ft with 80 tonnes of metal :P
tony89
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

tony89 , How often does that happen? Where a plane just falls out the sky from 30,000 ft? Virtually never! Most air crashes happen on take-off or landing, where the chances of survival are extremely high.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

i guess travelling by camels should be the safest in the world, unless you happen to be on a camel and you 4get to look left or right when crossing the road :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 23, 2012
even at take off or landing these buggers are around 300 kmh, if the pilot decides to ram into sumthin, again, everyone is dead.
...everything else is jus parking accidents, who cares :P

the nature of air travel is very dangerous , it's just controlled very well: no aircraft unmonitored, no pilot unguided.
Car's are relatively safer by essence, but when u get drunk, horny, high, half-asleep 16 yr oldish ppl going full meter with no computer aid on the car......

...camels are probably the safest bet.
tony89
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Airtravel Safer Than Car? Jan 24, 2012
Tony found one real good deal for you! http://www.bazaar.ae/bazaar/show_detail.jsp?id=62019&emirate=A

It can be used for "racing" down SZR or you can go on your "pleasure riding" :D

You better hurry because the owner is leaving "town" soon!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

i don buy second hand camels :P
....won't get much 'pleasure' while 'riding' :P

--- Jan 24, 2012 ---

... to think of it camels are a good deal....they come stock with adaptive cruise control, leather seats, 4x4 and they are fuel efficient :P
tony89
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

my local friend (i sound a bit like Bethsmum there :S ) told me that the camel is the most valuable thing in the arab world! Not only was it used to travel from A to B and than B to A, but it provided security (not sure what he meant there, probably they make some kind of noise when intruders came near the tent), milk, meat, fertilizer and even medicine!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat