Fines On The Metro

Topic locked
Fines on the Metro Nov 17, 2011
The RTA has stated the following:

100 Dhs for chewing gum
200 dhs for carrying weapons
300 dhs for falling asleep

I think the priorities are little skewed there somewhat.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Fines On The Metro Nov 17, 2011
so is there a fine for sleeping inside the Metro? I thought there were fines for sleeping on the platform, but i do notice many people dozing off when seated...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:so is there a fine for sleeping inside the Metro? I thought there were fines for sleeping on the platform, but i do notice many people dozing off when seated...

Apparently yes, in case people fall over, drool or snore annoying other passengers lol - not joking that's what the RTA said!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Out of order!

So if I fall asleep with a rocket launcher or bazooka on my shoulder that's five hundred AED down the drain?
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

spellcheckergirl wrote:Out of order!

So if I fall asleep with a rocket launcher or bazooka on my shoulder that's five hundred AED down the drain?

LOL well don't fall asleep and your fine would be less :P
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Fines on the Metro Nov 18, 2011
Well, I think it makes complete sense! let’s face it, the ethnic groups this regulation is aimed at is capable of falling asleep on a washing line, at the drop of a hat, while we all may have got used to the sight of comatose carcasses littering public places from midday onwards, who can blame the RTA for wanting to rid their spaces of the same, without regulation I could only imagine the air conditioned spaces of the public transport vehicles and infrastructure would be their first choice for their forty winks midday nap.

More power to the RTA on this one.

:)
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Fines on the Metro Nov 19, 2011
Actually Dillon when you put it like that, it's a very valid point.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Fines on the Metro Nov 19, 2011
andy888 wrote:actually, if you have faith, even if you have sleep, you are still awake,

Bartender! Give me what that man is having! :drunken: :drunken:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Fines on the Metro Nov 20, 2011
Dillon wrote:Well, I think it makes complete sense! let’s face it, the ethnic groups this regulation is aimed at is capable of falling asleep on a washing line,

How many laborers have you seen sleeping on the Metro, for that matter how many laborers do you actually see on a Metro?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:
Dillon wrote:Well, I think it makes complete sense! let’s face it, the ethnic groups this regulation is aimed at is capable of falling asleep on a washing line,

How many laborers have you seen sleeping on the Metro, for that matter how many laborers do you actually see on a Metro?

None, because they would be fined for doing so :drunken:
Bethsmum

BlackburnRovers wrote:How many laborers have you seen sleeping on the Metro, for that matter how many laborers do you actually see on a Metro?

Firstly, I said “ethnic groups” I didn’t narrow the ethnic groups down to a particular profession and I find it quite strange that you should assume that it’s only labourers who are found littering the public spaces during the day.

By 'labourers', I presume you are referring to construction site staff? who are usually transported between their accommodation and place of work by company bus so I doubt you would see them on the metro.

Labourers, I have always thought it to be a very unfair, rather derogatory all encompassing name for the construction site staff that people often label , considering the individuals employed on a construction site are in the main, time served journeymen tradespeople, engineers and technicians, and to label them all labourers? Anywhere else in the world they are regarded as tradesmen and treated with a little respect.
Dillon

Dillon wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:
Firstly, I said “ethnic groups” I didn’t narrow the ethnic groups down to a particular profession and I find it quite strange that you should assume that it’s only labourers who are found littering the public spaces during the day.

By 'labourers', I presume you are referring to construction site staff? who are usually transported between their accommodation and place of work by company bus so I doubt you would see them on the metro.

Labourers, I have always thought it to be a very unfair, rather derogatory all encompassing name for the construction site staff that people often label , considering the individuals employed on a construction site are in the main, time served journeymen tradespeople, engineers and technicians, and to label them all labourers? Anywhere else in the world they are regarded as tradesmen and treated with a little respect.

Laborer is used here as a synonym for "blue collar worker" but i understand your point

What i find derogatory though is claiming that some ethnic groups are "capable of falling asleep on a washing line".
The reason i used laborers is because the only members of that group that sleeps in public places tend to be blue collar workers. And thats because they are generally tired after exhausting physical work for 5-6 hours.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

BlackburnRovers wrote:
Laborer is used here as a synonym for "blue collar worker" but i understand your point

Yes I’m aware of that BBR, what I’m saying is that it shouldn’t be! By definition, a labourer is a person doing unskilled manual work for wages, that precludes all but a very small minority in the construction industry and it has to be said that people within the construction industry do not generalise and call all manual operatives, labourers, they are all referred to by their relative trades.

What i find derogatory though is claiming that some ethnic groups are "capable of falling asleep on a washing line".
The reason i used laborers is because the only members of that group that sleeps in public places tend to be blue collar workers. And thats because they are generally tired after exhausting physical work for 5-6 hours.

Well some are! and they are not exclusively blue collar workers! I tell it like I see it BBR, had I mentioned that all were male, would that make me sexist?

:lol: :lol:
Dillon

Re: Fines On The Metro Nov 20, 2011
The 200 AED for weapons is a little puzzling. I wonder what kind of weapons they have in mind?

Are you serious about journeymen Dillon? I used to work as a site supervisor when I was in South East Asia and I found the third world labour there to be extremly variable. Nobody gives these people any training and they tend to arrive without any skills at all. After a couple of years paying off the loan sharks and then a couple more sending all their money back to the village, they finally aquire a few skills, but before they have a chance to pass these skills on, they go back to their village, have their arranged marriage and send some other young fellow out.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Fines On The Metro Nov 26, 2011
blueshift wrote:The 200 AED for weapons is a little puzzling. I wonder what kind of weapons they have in mind?

Are you serious about journeymen Dillon? I used to work as a site supervisor when I was in South East Asia and I found the third world labour there to be extremly variable. Nobody gives these people any training and they tend to arrive without any skills at all. After a couple of years paying off the loan sharks and then a couple more sending all their money back to the village, they finally aquire a few skills, but before they have a chance to pass these skills on, they go back to their village, have their arranged marriage and send some other young fellow out.

Absolutely, I cannot comment on the quality of Third World Labour working in SE Asia and the criteria on which they were employed, my comments are specifically aimed at the construction site and maintenance staff working here in the UAE. While their qualifications and experience probably wouldn’t secure them a job in many other Countries, tradespeople employed here are professionally qualified, notwithstanding some of the less scrupulous employers may or may not conform to the Labour Laws, but then, those people exist in every society.
Dillon

Re: Fines On The Metro Dec 07, 2011
Who would carry a weapon to the metro? Hahaha
Yosef
BANNED

Re: Fines On The Metro Dec 08, 2011
Yosef, there's nothing wrong with a man with a weapon and if he know's how to use it, all the better :D
Bethsmum

But if a women had a weapon then that is very wrong :D
Yosef
BANNED

Yosef wrote:But if a women had a weapon then that is very wrong :D

That would indeed be scarey Yosef, but it has been known.
Bethsmum

Re: Fines On The Metro Dec 30, 2011
One doesn't sleep willingly. Do people do that? You just get carried away. And I always slept in the metro :)
MeronZG
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum