Ramadan Food And Alcohol..

Topic locked
Ramadan food and alcohol.. Aug 20, 2011
Lets not start any flame warm here.. However perhaps someone could explain the logic behind the two following ramadan questions I have:

1) You can't eat in public. Ok, fine.. However when a place like dubai mall blocks off full view of the food court I do not understand the logic why people/tourists can't eat out of plain view?

2) No alcohol served before 8pm. I don't drink, but this is truly odd. Muslims aren't supposed to drink alcohol anyway. Again, why make special rules for drinking during ramadan.. Why not stick to the regular alcohol rules?

I think both could be done without offending any muslims and not damaging tourist business. Anyone else agree?

Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Ramadan Food And Alcohol.. Aug 20, 2011
Here are my answers/comments as an Emarati, to your two questions..

1) There no such thing in Islam that say food and restaurants should be closed. Its just Dubai's government mentality that is implementing its own rules. In Islam, the young ones, old people who needs their medication, and even those who are travelling are entitled to eat during Ramadan, like in Turkey, I saw women with their Hijab eating in Istanbul, because they came from central and south of Turkey all the way to visit Topkapi Saray and the Blue Mosque, thus they weren't fasting, because Islam allows that as per the situation.

When I was in Turkey, I wasn't fasting, as I was travelling, and this is not breaking any rules. I was glad to see the restaurants open in Istanbul. But in Edirne, the place has less tourists, and its a typical Turkish city where people majority of them are actually fasting, so they won't bother opening their restaurants at all, except for few.

Now since Dubai is full of tourists, unlike Khorfakkan for instance, I believe they should give more space for other non-fasting people to enjoy their time.
So what if I saw someone eating while I'm fasting? :shock: Why should it bother me anyways?

2) I don't like alcohol, and I wish I could ban it totally from Dubai.
A glass of fresh pomegranate juice is surely much more tasty, healthy, and cheaper than alcohol.

Again, its Dubai's government point of view, and if we citizens were given the choice, we would surely ban it.
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Ramadan food and alcohol.. Aug 20, 2011
Perhaps odd, but thats the way it is. I donot have much problems with it. Anyways, I avoid Muslim countries during Ramadan.

A food court serving food out of sight still produced food smells. No alcohol during the day, I guess they just want to prevent drunken people walking the streets who might get annoying.

What I donot understand though is that Ramadan is supposed to test your resistance to temptation. The more temptation, the more you can proof yourself. But they take all the temptation away (by law), which makes it harder to proof anything.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Flying Dutchman wrote:Perhaps odd, but thats the way it is. I donot have much problems with it. Anyways, I avoid Muslim countries during Ramadan.

A food court serving food out of sight still produced food smells. No alcohol during the day, I guess they just want to prevent drunken people walking the streets who might get annoying.

What I donot understand though is that Ramadan is supposed to test your resistance to temptation. The more temptation, the more you can proof yourself. But they take all the temptation away (by law), which makes it harder to proof anything.

You make a good point about temptation. Your right.. This is with anything in life.. I agree it would make you feel more strongly about what your doing, whether that be fasting or something else.
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

We people totally understand, but try express your concerns to the government.
symmetric
BANNED

symmetric wrote:Here are my answers/comments as an Emarati, to your two questions..

2) I don't like alcohol, and I wish I could ban it totally from Dubai.
A glass of fresh pomegranate juice is surely much more tasty, healthy, and cheaper than alcohol.

Again, its Dubai's government point of view, and if we citizens were given the choice, we would surely ban it.

Again, people would just want to drink more and in secret. So that isn't an ideal fix either. I have to say, the UK has a serious drinking issue. Just saw a recent documentary on it. By comparison, in France i've never seen any rurly drunkards wondering the streets. The one I did see was British... I'm sure there are French who go to far, but its not an epidemic like UK and some other places. I think everything with moderation is whats called for. Alcohol has medical proven benefits if consumed in normal quantities. The french are drinking mainly wine which has more benefits then beer..

-- August 20th, 2011, 12:37 am --

symmetric wrote:We people totally understand, but try express your concerns to the government.

For fear of saying anything against the "status quo" I shall not. I doubt there is some official place I could complain to without any worry. The media should ask this question i think..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

As for Alcohol, that was my own opinion, and I assure you, the vast majority of my Emarati society, would surely vote to ban alcohol, just like in Kuwait. The GCC (except for KSA) societies are identical when it comes such issues. Its not part of our culture, and I am sure there is a percentage of people who drink, but the majority still dislike it.

Media did bring up this subject last year on the national radio in AD, and as I thought, many people didn't have any problem with the idea of keeping restaurants open during day time for tourists, specially in Dubai.

Let's see what happens in the future, perhaps they'll give up this law.
symmetric
BANNED

It will be interesting to see indeed.

I have to say, I frequently see local Emarati in hotels enjoying wine with their meals. So i'm not too sure about that support you speak of. Anyway, this was off topic. Thanks for clearing up the questions.

Are the rules different in other emirates about eating and drinking in public? You said "here" in Dubai so thats why I am asking..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

The few Emaratis you see drinking wine in hotels resembles a VERY tiny % of the total majority. I don't want to sound stubborn here, nor I'm exaggerating. I thought it would be more interesting to hear a frank opinion from an Emarati, however its up to you to either agree or disagree =)

The same rule applys all around the UAE.
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Ramadan food and alcohol.. Aug 21, 2011
Ok.. Another question then.. If your doing hard labour digging outside in the sand for example in the heat.. Most anyone would say its dangerous to not drink in that heat. I specifically read somewhere on gulf news that even hard labour didn't warrant any food/drink consumption. I presume whomever wrote the article should try that in the heat and see if they don't suffer.
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Ramadan food and alcohol.. Aug 21, 2011
It will be my first visit next week during Ramadan, Hope not to make any mistakes as I believe when you are visiting another country you should respect their beliefs.

I'm sure I could go without a beer till the evening :D
marsatmach
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Ramadan Food And Alcohol.. Aug 22, 2011
Telegix, people who are working in harsh environment are allowed to break their fast anytime.
Whomever believe in any different opinion than this one, then he/she are being extreme and that has nOthing to do with religion, rather a pointless self preference which is not welcomed by religion itself.

-------------------------------

Marsatmach, I hope you enjoy your time while visiting Dubai, and thanks a lot for respecting our beliefs ;)
symmetric
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat