Goodluck Johnson

Topic locked
Goodluck Johnson May 29, 2011
I was just watching BBC News and they mentioned Goodluck Johnson, who, apparentley is the President of Nigeria.

I have to say that is one of the daftest names I have ever heard.

Who, in their right mind, calls a baby Goodluck? Apart from Mrs Johnson of course!

What's the silliest name you've ever come across?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Goodluck Johnson May 29, 2011
A popular Name for girls from the British Empire’s African Nations was ‘Queen Victoria’ but the funniest I recall was Prince Charles’ Introduction by a Papua New Guinean dignitary, while on a Royal Tour in 1974, Prince Charles, stood at the side of Queen Elizabeth II, and was introduced as ‘the nambawan pikinini bilong misis kwin - "the number one child belonging to Mrs. Queen." Pidgin English at its best! I’ve had a little snigger every time I see the two of them standing together.

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

I think you mean Goodluck Jonathan? Which makes it even more ridiculous. I noticed in Africa that many people have "odd" names....the reason being that they "translate" (which generally means randomly pick) a "Western sounding" name to go by, rather than a tribal name. A few memorable ones...."Sweety"...."Baby"...not to mention "Patience", amongst many.

The most ludicrous name belongs to a girl I went to school with : Velvet Coffyne, and I am not even close to kidding....oh, I worked with a girl named "Anita Pardi"....say that one out loud! She was the daughter of Hungarian Immigrants who wanted her to have a "Canadian" name...Poor girl...we always p*ssed ourselves when she was paged on the intercom.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:I was just watching BBC News and they mentioned Goodluck Johnson, who, apparentley is the President of Nigeria.

I have to say that is one of the daftest names I have ever heard.

Who, in their right mind, calls a baby Goodluck? Apart from Mrs Johnson of course!

What's the silliest name you've ever come across?

Funny thing is that it apparently works (the name that is) as he has been "lucky" to get elected twice... His last name is Jonathan (silly too!).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Velvet Coffyne ( Coffin ) Thats sounds like an awesome name for a band 8)

And Anita pardi (I need a party) ...LOL

Ofcourse when you have a combination of names like D1ck and Bush you know someone is going to get screwed.

The most funniest name I've come across and I knew its was common scandanavian name from before, when I had a client named Mr. Lund ! Now lund in Urdu/hindi literally means d1ck or penis.

Language hops can also make names mean more than they are. I had a few emaratis rolling with laughter when a pashtoon gentleman said his name. Gul Tiaz Jameel. Which when pronouced in the Emarati accent sounds like "All asses are beautifull".

But the most wierd names I've come across are all from people hailing from the Northern regions of Pakistan which translated literally mean. Mountain Khan, Grape Khan, Walnut Khan, Window Khan so on and so forth. Most of them have pretty nice and decent names but then you have few like these aswell !

desertdudeshj

dubaidog wrote:I think you mean Goodluck Jonathan? Which makes it even more ridiculous.

Ooops I must have misheard, I blame it on the Heinekin, I had a few last night while watching the footie :drunken:

I remember when I was a kid, some neighbours had a child called El Cid. 'El Cidddd, your tea's ready!'
Bethsmum

A common family name in the Punjab from Pakistan is BUTT!
I remember this guy getting on a 'plane in the US, and the girl at the counter asked him his name and he said "Butt." She thought she had heard incorrectly, so she asked "How do you spell it?"
And the guy says "B-U-T-T".
She almost fell off her chair and couldnt stop laughing for five minutes!
:lol: :lol:
zonker
BANNED

Knew a guy called Barnaby Butterfield and Justin Doors, Simon Winterbottom.

I know what's it's like to have a 'bad' surname - years of being on the end of numerous jokes - oh yes and everyone thinks they're the first. Er no, there's nothing anyone could say that I haven't heard like a gazillion times before!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Yeah we had a girl in our class with BUTT as a surname. Went to the same college later. The dean tired his best not to break out laughing when calling it out ! LOL

But with a name like J.Cutler Butler himself ( Yes that was his actual name ) himself........:D
desertdudeshj

Titsiana Boobarini - a girl on my fb!!!
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

MotionComputing wrote:Titsiana Boobarini - a girl on my fb!!!

Is she Russian?
Bethsmum

Re: Goodluck Johnson May 30, 2011
LOL no! It's an Urban dictionary term for a woman with large breasts, who likes to wear tight, stripper like clothes! Most people who use that are American.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

MotionComputing wrote:Titsiana Boobarini - a girl on my fb!!!

Send me an addy :D
desertdudeshj

I saw the teacher roster at school in grade school... My teacher,

Brown, Harry Di.ck
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Was that his name or listed under description !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Was that his name or listed under description !

:D good one son!

as for the tits girl on facebook, just search for it shes there!! Mind you shes a minger alrite!!! Thats why they probably named her after a pair of tits :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Haha, I currently know Chocsisa Btch! Awesome stuff!
smokedawg
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Goodluck Johnson May 31, 2011
You seem to be lacking in brain cells smokedawg. Fight Club is for flaming, so take your name calling there.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Goodluck Johnson May 31, 2011
kanelli wrote:You seem to be lacking in brain cells smokedawg. Fight Club is for flaming, so take your name calling there.

There speaks the lady who just called me a b1tch, twice, or was it three times in the nanny thread! LOL
Bethsmum

Re: Goodluck Johnson Jun 01, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
kanelli wrote:You seem to be lacking in brain cells smokedawg. Fight Club is for flaming, so take your name calling there.

There speaks the lady who just called me a b1tch, twice, or was it three times in the nanny thread! LOL

Well, BM, you refuse to use Fight Club for your insulting purposes, so I was forced to tell you what you are in the public forum.

We all know that Fight Club is where flaming should go.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I spent some time in Zimbabwe as a teenager and there were many with 'unusual names' - at least unusual to an English boy's ears. Patience, Sweety, Lucky etc were very common and didn't raise too many eyebrows.

The most bizare ones I came across were 'Scholastic Achievement' (sort of understandable) and 'Bicycle' (huh? !!) :shock:

:)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

[quote="shafique" to an English boy's ears. [/quote]

Get in there Shafique!

:lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

shafique wrote:I spent some time in Zimbabwe as a teenager and there were many with 'unusual names' - at least unusual to an English boy's ears. Patience, Sweety, Lucky etc were very common and didn't raise too many eyebrows.

The most bizare ones I came across were 'Scholastic Achievement' (sort of understandable) and 'Bicycle' (huh? !!) :shock:

:)

Hahaha oh no. Bicycle? Serious?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat