Keeping Holiday Drinking In Check May Counter Cancer

Topic locked
Keeping Holiday Drinking in Check May Counter Cancer Dec 20, 2010

Keeping Holiday Drinking in Check May Counter Cancer

SUNDAY, Dec. 19 (HealthDay News) -- Though holiday partying often includes alcohol consumption, cancer experts are urging partiers to partake moderately.

"Research shows that drinking even a small amount of alcohol increases your chances of developing cancer, including oral cancer, breast cancer and liver cancer," Clare McKindley, clinical dietician in the Cancer

Prevention Center at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, said in a news release from the center.

"Researchers are still trying to learn more about how alcohol links to cancer," she added. "But convincing evidence does support the fact that heavy drinking damages cells and increases the risk for cancer development."

To reduce risk, experts say, drinkers can do a number of things. First, stick to the recommended serving size. A drink is defined as 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of liquor.

Women should have no more than one drink a day and men should have no more than two drinks a day, according to the U.S. National Cancer Institute.

Try to avoid high-calorie drinks. Many popular alcoholic drinks are loaded with calories, especially those mixed with soda, fruit juice or cream. A one-cup serving of eggnog, a holiday staple, has about 340 calories.

Being overweight or obese is also associated with an increased risk for cancer.

Researchers believe that it is the ethanol or alcohol in beer, wine and liquor that increases cancer risk. Check the ethanol percentage numbers on bottle labels and stay away from 100-proof liquor.

Also try non-alcoholic drinks. For example, for a "cocktail-like" beverage, try club soda and lime, McKindley suggested.

Take care O consumers of evil ;)

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Keeping Holiday Drinking in Check May Counter Cancer Dec 20, 2010
Doctors are unanimous in agreeing that a glass of wine every day is good for the heart.

My theory is that a bottle is therefore EXCELLENT!

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Keeping Holiday Drinking In Check May Counter Cancer Dec 20, 2010
Busy news day at the Zubber household looks like !
desertdudeshj

Re: Keeping Holiday Drinking in Check May Counter Cancer Dec 21, 2010
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Keeping Holiday Drinking In Check May Counter Cancer Dec 21, 2010
and they dis ramadan for being unhealthy?! Its got nothing on christmas.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Watch the whole clip - there's an explanation of how Christians chose their holidays (or jump to 2.33) ... and picked ones where you eat to excess!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(BTW - a glass of wine being good for you was revealed in the Quran - 2v219 - there is some good in alcohol, but the harm outweighs the good)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

"Everything in moderation" - the second best life rule after the golden rule - "Treat others how you would like to be treated."
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

^I agree - follow the 'middle path' is a rule I try to live by.

I also prefer the 'platinum' rule: "treat others as they would like to be treated".

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I prefer excess in everything. It's much more fun.
Bethsmum

Well to be fair , the probability of developing cancers from alcohol consumption is just as high as developing cancers from extended cell phone usage , or chronic smoking . But those of you are already addicted , perhaps you can avoid your children from being addicted to them :)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:Well to be fair , the probability of developing cancers from alcohol consumption is just as high as developing cancers from extended cell phone usage , or chronic smoking . But those of you are already addicted , perhaps you can avoid your children from being addicted to them :)

What? Cell phones?

Dirty habit!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Keeping Holiday Drinking In Check May Counter Cancer Dec 22, 2010
shafique wrote:
I also prefer the 'platinum' rule: "treat others as they would like to be treated".

Cheers,
Shafique

Well, people could get carried away with that!

-- Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:55 am --

I just don't get binge drinking and smoking. What's the payoff? Hangovers, apologies for bad behaviour, pickled livers, chronic cough, bad smell, yellow and dull skin, mega-crows feet and cat bum mouth. (oh yeah, and high risk of certain types of cancers)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:mega-crows feet and cat bum mouth

So true
benwj

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

benwj wrote:

So true

Mega-crows feet: well those can be gotten by exposure to the sun. The good thing is, they blend in well with the rest of the face that looks like a well used leather handbag.

Cat bum mouth: I came across people who did not smoke and cat bum mouth would have been far better than the smell of cow dung that exploded from that hole under their nose!! Just the other day I had to move waaaaayyy down a counter because the stink that came out of this woman's mouth was so overpowering that it made my stomach flip - and I can assure you it had nothing to do with cigarettes.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
benwj wrote:

So true

Mega-crows feet: well those can be gotten by exposure to the sun. The good thing is, they blend in well with the rest of the face that looks like a well used leather handbag.

Cat bum mouth: I came across people who did not smoke and cat bum mouth would have been far better than the smell of cow dung that exploded from that hole under their nose!! Just the other day I had to move waaaaayyy down a counter because the stink that came out of this woman's mouth was so overpowering that it made my stomach flip - and I can assure you it had nothing to do with cigarettes.

ERRRR Bora, it's only 7am in England, you have made BM feel quite ill!

-- Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 am --

kanelli wrote:
shafique wrote:

Cheers,
Shafique

Well, people could get carried away with that!

-- Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:55 am --

I just don't get binge drinking and smoking. What's the payoff? Hangovers, apologies for bad behaviour, pickled livers, chronic cough, bad smell, yellow and dull skin, mega-crows feet and cat bum mouth. (oh yeah, and high risk of certain types of cancers)

Kanelli, I must admit I had to read your post twice as I wasn't sure what you were on about! I get the cat thing now. I have never been a smoker but do admit to the drink. Fortunately I don't get many hangovers but have had to apologise for bad behaviour. LOL. I've haven't killed anyone so far so all is good in BM land :D
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:ERRRR Bora, it's only 7am in England, you have made BM feel quite ill!

Sorry BM. Have a glass of Chardonnay to settle the stomach. Somewhere in the world its time for a tipple. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Keeping Holiday Drinking in Check May Counter Cancer Dec 22, 2010
I couldn't possibly have a drink at this time of the day Bora, BM must keep a clear head when legally ripping the British taxpayer off on behalf of her Government.

BTW I think it is time to cut down on the Chardonnay. Apparantly Cumbria was hit by a tremor measuring 3.5 at 11pm last night and I missed it. Did the earth move for you BM? NO.

Anyways I'm bored of this flag so time to move on and remove my signature. :D
Bethsmum

I had a dream!
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

[..edit'']
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
drewpeacock wrote:I had a dream!

yes, go on...

Zubber, a word of warning........don't encourage Drew! You may get more than you bargained for.
Bethsmum

Re: Keeping Holiday Drinking in Check May Counter Cancer Dec 23, 2010
shafique wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpu9o4V-L-g

Watch the whole clip - there's an explanation of how Christians chose their holidays (or jump to 2.33) ... and picked ones where you eat to excess!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(BTW - a glass of wine being good for you was revealed in the Quran - 2v219 - there is some good in alcohol, but the harm outweighs the good)

Cheers,
Shafique

Forget the health benefits Shaf. Beer is proof that Alah loves us and wants us to be happy. This is a slight misquote but a good one anyway.
benwj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat