Slang (Abbreviations) Is A Horrible Thing

Topic locked
Slang (Abbreviations) is a horrible thing Nov 22, 2010
I've noticed a few members use all sorts of abbreviations. It's really annoying to read. Either type English proper, or don't write anything at all.

I'm sorry if that come out harshly, It's just the way I feel.

brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Slang (Abbreviations) Is A Horrible Thing Nov 22, 2010
I I Capt.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Slang (Abbreviations) is a horrible thing Nov 22, 2010
Oui!

U r right m8 it s not ok
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Slang (Abbreviations) Is A Horrible Thing Nov 22, 2010
lol - ygbkm!

:)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

This es a dig at poor spokers muddyrater and should be deeled with by yoursilf imuddeetly.

This shood nit be allowered to go untilerated and is wrung.
HughJarses
Dubai Forum Visitor

HughJarses wrote:This es a dig at poor spokers muddyrater and should be deeled with by yoursilf imuddeetly.

Errrrrrrrrr, it's about slang and abbreviations not poor spelling.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

HughJarses wrote:This es a dig at poor spokers muddyrater and should be deeled with by yoursilf imuddeetly.

LSHMTUAFIMC (has it's own facebook page)
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Slang (Abbreviations) is a horrible thing Nov 23, 2010
RAOTFLMAO!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Pfff it's like flies round poo with you lot! You just can't help it!

Actually this topic has been brought up before and is a valid one. Seeing as a lot of you seem to forget that many of the people who frequent the forum might not have English as their first language, using abbreviations can make understanding already difficult posts, impossible.

Come on guys, be sensible.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Pfff it's like flies round poo with you lot! You just can't help it!

Actually this topic has been brought up before and is a valid one. Seeing as a lot of you seem to forget that many of the people who frequent the forum might not have English as their first language, using abbreviations can make understanding already difficult posts, impossible.

Come on guys, be sensible.

4COL chocs ur INAM 55555
Bethsmum

Yeah that makes so much sense.

Seriously what is wrong with you guys that you have to trash every single thread? Can't you just leave it alone? This forum is serving absolutely no purpose for people coming to find information and to discuss topics, when all you lot do is shoot them down in flames and take the mickey.

It really is time to stop now.

If you have nothing to contribute to a thread in a sensible manner, then I suggest you don't say anything at all.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Yeah that makes so much sense.

Seriously what is wrong with you guys that you have to trash every single thread? Can't you just leave it alone? This forum is serving absolutely no purpose for people coming to find information and to discuss topics, when all you lot do is shoot them down in flames and take the mickey.

If you have nothing to contribute to a thread in a sensible manner, then I suggest you don't say anything at all.

you really ought to carry a handbag with someones pic in it. so whenever you get cheesed off you can look at their pic and your problem will go away :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Well DD, you never know but some people round here might find themselves 'going away' if they don't stop it.

Seriously, what is the point of trashing every single thread? It honestly renders the forum useless and do any of you stop to think what a visitor to the forum must think, when they read things looking for useful information and find the same people making pains of themselves?

I really is beyond a joke now. I really don't get why people can't just contribute and leave it at that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Ohh no, you're not threatening another banning are you? Have you been promoted? That'll be me, Shaf, DK and Drew gone in the stroke of a pen! Have you considered that Bruce may have started this thread for a bit of a joke? You do take yourself so seriously don't you? I'm afraid your wish to see the back of me isn't going to come as soon as you may wish. I appear to have put your nose seriously out of joint. I have written this in long hand as to not offend you further.
Bethsmum

Re: Slang (Abbreviations) Is A Horrible Thing Nov 23, 2010
guys get ready for part 3 or is it part 4! what the heck wheres me 3d glasses!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Chocoholic wrote:Yeah that makes so much sense.

Ditto. I've just joined recently and I'm already noticing this trend.
I didn't start the thread as joke.
brucebanner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

I'm sure psychologists can explain the phenomenon.

It's like telling someone to not think of a yellow elephant - can't be done, everyone will think of a yellow elephant. (Even the guys who will argue that hippos in Muslim countries are purple, or some other tangent, will think of yellow elephants first..;) )

So, asking contributers to an internet discussion forum to not use abbreviations is going to elicit the expected reactions - a whole lot of posts with nothing more than internet related abbreviations that everyone can understand or spend a nano-second googling and thus improving their vocabulary with the latest form of the Queen's English.

It is therefore, I submit, an educational exercise on the part of the said posters who choose to use abbreviations, slang or otherwise - notwithstanding the fact that the said abbreviations are primarily intended as examples of irony and therefore the natural side reaction of most perusers of this thread will be one of mirth and hilarity.

It would therefore be most obtuse and, frankly a bit silly, of anyone to seriously object to the aforementioned posts - but rather one should revel and marvel at the brevity and depth of meaning that a few characters on a keyboard can elicit. Shakespeare indeed would be proud.

I trust that this not-brief post, which is devoid of any of the offending abbreviations that offend is to your satisfaction.

Respectfully, et cetera

Your obedient servant,
shaf the bard, esq
Master Debater second class (working hard to get to first class)

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

rudeboy wrote:guys get ready for part 3 or is it part 4! what the heck wheres me 3d glasses!!

Rudeboy, you need to go back and read the 'other' topic, I recommended wide angle lenses :lol:
Bethsmum

shafique wrote:I'm sure psychologists can explain the phenomenon.

It's like telling someone to not think of a yellow elephant - can't be done, everyone will think of a yellow elephant. (Even the guys who will argue that hippos in Muslim countries are purple, or some other tangent, will think of yellow elephants first..;) )

So, asking contributers to an internet discussion forum to not use abbreviations is going to elicit the expected reactions - a whole lot of posts with nothing more than internet related abbreviations that everyone can understand or spend a nano-second googling and thus improving their vocabulary with the latest form of the Queen's English.

It is therefore, I submit, an educational exercise on the part of the said posters who choose to use abbreviations, slang or otherwise - notwithstanding the fact that the said abbreviations are primarily intended as examples of irony and therefore the natural side reaction of most perusers of this thread will be one of mirth and hilarity.

It would therefore be most obtuse and, frankly a bit silly, of anyone to seriously object to the aforementioned posts - but rather one should revel and marvel at the brevity and depth of meaning that a few characters on a keyboard can elicit. Shakespeare indeed would be proud.

I trust that this not-brief post, which is devoid of any of the offending abbreviations that offend is to your satisfaction.

Respectfully, et cetera

Your obedient servant,
shaf the bard, esq

Ah Shaf, bless yer cotton socks - love it :D

-- Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 pm --

Bethsmum wrote:Ohh no, you're not threatening another banning are you? Have you been promoted? That'll be me, Shaf, DK and Drew gone in the stroke of a pen! Have you considered that Bruce may have started this thread for a bit of a joke? You do take yourself so seriously don't you? I'm afraid your wish to see the back of me isn't going to come as soon as you may wish. I appear to have put your nose seriously out of joint. I have written this in long hand as to not offend you further.

LOL DK is one of me mates, so that's never gonna happen and Shaf is great in his awsomeness. But the rest of you I'll leave to happily dig your own graves.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

FAIL! at the end it's Shaf Esq.

Please complete abbreviated word with esquire.

Ta m8

Respectfully, et cetera

Your obedient servant,
shaf the bard, esq

drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Chocoholic wrote:

Respectfully, et cetera

Your obedient servant,
shaf the bard, esq

Ah Shaf, bless yer cotton socks - love it :D

-- Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 pm --

Bethsmum wrote:Ohh no, you're not threatening another banning are you? Have you been promoted? That'll be me, Shaf, DK and Drew gone in the stroke of a pen! Have you considered that Bruce may have started this thread for a bit of a joke? You do take yourself so seriously don't you? I'm afraid your wish to see the back of me isn't going to come as soon as you may wish. I appear to have put your nose seriously out of joint. I have written this in long hand as to not offend you further.

LOL DK is one of me mates, so that's never gonna happen and Shaf is great in his awsomeness. But the rest of you I'll leave to happily dig your own graves.

Laugh Out Loud!
Bethsmum

Re: Slang (Abbreviations) Is A Horrible Thing Nov 24, 2010
drewpeacock wrote:FAIL! at the end it's Shaf Esq.

Please complete abbreviated word with esquire.

Mea culpa

[Hangs head in shame]

Shafique esquire
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat