Topic locked
Disgusting - UAE court rules on domestic discipline Oct 18, 2010
This is appalling!

Advocating violence towards anyone is just not acceptable:

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news ... discipline

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Disgusting - UAE Court Rules On Domestic Discipline Oct 18, 2010
Dr Ahmed al Kubaisi, the head of Sharia Studies at UAE University and Baghdad University, said that under Sharia beating one's wife was an option to prevent the breakdown of the family.

He said it should be used only as a substitute to resorting to the police.

"If a wife committed something wrong, a husband can report her to police," Dr al Kubaisi said. "But sometimes she does not do a serious thing or he does not want to let others know; when it is not good for the family. In this case, hitting is a better option."

So hitting is ok if it prevents others knowing.

I have never really understood why people "knowing" of some crime is considered a worse act than the crime itself?

Some years back, HH The Dubai Ruler ordered (I think) that all men harassing women in public should have their pics published in papers. That practice has stopped since few years back, any guesses why...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Disgusting - UAE court rules on domestic discipline Oct 18, 2010
the Indian and Pakistani bechelors ceased practicing their weekend's entertainment? :shock:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Can anyone join in?
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Yes it is disgusting and nit correct surprisingly

from the same article

Jihad Hashim Brown, the head of research at Tabah Foundation, said: "It's unlawful in Sharia - if taken in its entirety - to injure one's wife. It's unlawful to insult the dignity of one's wife.

"That is if we look at the tradition as a whole: the Quran, the hadith and writings of Islamic jurists."

He said beating one's wife was in conflict with "clear and concise" Islamic texts, which encourage Muslims to treat their wives in "love and kindness".

He said a Quranic verse might appear to allow certain things but if the verse was not "clear and concise", it should not enter courts of law.

"The vast majority of scholars overwhelmingly agree it is forbidden to injure or insult the dignity of one's wife," Mr Brown said. "If there is no clear text, then the court should treat it as a criminal act."

He added that Islamic texts stipulated the essence of healthy marriage was constant and mutual love. When any one of the couple felt there was need for beating, he said, "it's time for divorce".

I know this guy Brown and the dude who works directly under him is a very good friend of mine ( Both American converts and scholars ) I suspect the ruling has more cultral aspects to it that Islamic law.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Unfortunately domestic violence is prevalent through out the world and not only practised by muslim men as a way of punishing their wives and daughters. Last week Manchester Police puplicised all their calls over a one day period on Twitter to show the kind of things being dealt with on a daily basis, many of the calls concerned domestic violence. The Police attend these calls and in reality only a fraction of the men will be punished in law. It is usually left to the women to make the decision of whether to go ahead with prosecution and so many feel so vunerable that they are afraid to and the man is left to carry on regardless. I have done some work for SSAFA (Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association) and I can tell you that the British Army would rather cover up their men's violence towards their wives than have to made public. Many British forces personel have problems after prolonged periods in NI and the middle East and it is their families who bear the brunt of their tempers.
Bethsmum

Why the hell does someone has to beat another :@
This is a big problem, when culture is abuses religious teachings in a very bad way.

Thank GOD I have NEVER witnessed nor heard of any of these issues in my entire life.
symmetric
BANNED

Bethsmum, yes true. However, in this case to blatantly advocate it, is not ok.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Bethsmum wrote:Unfortunately domestic violence is prevalent through out the world and not only practised by muslim men as a way of punishing their wives and daughters. Last week Manchester Police puplicised all their calls over a one day period on Twitter to show the kind of things being dealt with on a daily basis, many of the calls concerned domestic violence. The Police attend these calls and in reality only a fraction of the men will be punished in law. It is usually left to the women to make the decision of whether to go ahead with prosecution and so many feel so vunerable that they are afraid to and the man is left to carry on regardless. I have done some work for SSAFA (Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association) and I can tell you that the British Army would rather cover up their men's violence towards their wives than have to made public. Many British forces personel have problems after prolonged periods in NI and the middle East and it is their families who bear the brunt of their tempers.

Betsmum, the big difference is in civilized countries beating your wife is illegal and in Muslim countries it is legal and recommended. Since you seem to condone Sharia law, I d like to see if you have the same opinion the day you take a beatin and that you have no recourse against it.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Herve, once again you have proven that you really do speak out of your back eye. You have absolutely no idea what I have experienced nor what I condone.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Herve, once again you have proven that you really do speak out of your back eye. You have absolutely no idea what I have experienced nor what I condone.

You are the one who compared domestic violence in the west and the one in Muslim coutries as if it was a similar problem, when it is absolutely not.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

What I was actually saying, if you wound your neck in for a minute and read it, is that domestic violence is condoned in one form or another in other countries as well as in the Islamic religion. Whether it be written down in print in one, or ignored by the authorities in another is rather irelevant to the person on the receiving end.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:What I was actually saying, if you wound your neck in for a minute and read it, is that domestic violence is condoned in one form or another in other countries as well as in the Islamic religion. Whether it be written down in print in one, or ignored by the authorities in another is rather irelevant to the person on the receiving end.

Again your biased opinion, it is absolutely NOT condoned in other countries and not ignored, in any ways, none, zip, domestic violence is punished by prison period, and so many associations help distressed women, while it is condoned and legal , even recommended in Muslim countries. and if a woman seek help, they send her in the psychiatric ward
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Biased: To show prejudice for or against (someone or something) unfairly.

Now Herve, please explain how I am being biased? I have pointed out, unfortunately that domestic violence goes on all over the world. Within Islam, it appears to be accepted, but not by all, while I pointed out that by ignoring some cases of it, Western authorities are too, in their own way, condoning it. I'm afraid you are naive in thinking that this behaviour is not tolerated in the west. I'm not saying all cases are ignored, but some are.
There's me thinking you know nowt, when if fact you know f*ck all.
Bethsmum

LOL nearly peed myself
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:Biased: To show prejudice for or against (someone or something) unfairly.

Now Herve, please explain how I am being biased? I have pointed out, unfortunately that domestic violence goes on all over the world. Within Islam, it appears to be accepted, but not by all, while I pointed out that by ignoring some cases of it, Western authorities are too, in their own way, condoning it. I'm afraid you are naive in thinking that this behaviour is not tolerated in the west. I'm not saying all cases are ignored, but some are.
There's me thinking you know nowt, when if fact you know f*ck all.

You are biased, because someone who reads your posts and does not know about the middle east could understand that western society and muslim societies have the same approach in regard of domestic violence. You are putting both on the same foot.
You are biased because you favor muslim society, and especially the Emirati one, against the western society. But you are wrong about something, being a reject of yours will never make you a member of theirs, ever.
You are biased because what you write is flat false, misleading and that makes you dishonest, at least.
Look what you wrote:
Within Islam, it appears to be accepted
Are you fraudulently blind, are you doing it on purpose or what?
It does not appear, no: it is a fact, and it is not accepted it is legal and recommended. The fact that it is legal means accepted by ALL.
Regardless of what you say, domestic violences in the free world are not ignored, they are not always reported , that is the only problem, when they are reported these case are always prosecuted to the full extend of the law.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Disgusting - UAE court rules on domestic discipline Oct 19, 2010
So I see this has now hit the international press - more bad news forthe UAE.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Disgusting - UAE court rules on domestic discipline Oct 19, 2010
Herve Once again you are talking out of your backside. I am a White Anglo Saxon Christian woman. I am proud of my heritage. There are some very nice parts of Islam, the acceptance of domestic violence not being one of them . I think that may be you are the biased one You appear to hate all things Emirati. I don't, and you obviously have a problem with this. Why don't you stick to what you know about instead of telling me what I think. You really don't have a clue about me.
Bethsmum

Re: Disgusting - UAE Court Rules On Domestic Discipline Oct 19, 2010
Yes, ofcourse journo's are waiting for something like this to come up to sensationalise. Even starting to create a controversy storm of its own.
desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat