DIFFICULT TO PASS THE DRIVING ROAD TEST

Topic locked
DIFFICULT TO PASS THE DRIVING ROAD TEST Oct 16, 2010
I did My road test 5 times and I failed, even I had Valid Bahrain & Indian driving License.In this Crises time the only way to make money for the RTA & Driving Institute to make fail most of the people and suck money from them even poor or rich.

leokthomas
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: DIFFICULT TO PASS THE DRIVING ROAD TEST Oct 16, 2010
When the economy was good it took 5 to pass. With this economy, you may have to count on a minimum 10.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: DIFFICULT TO PASS THE DRIVING ROAD TEST Oct 16, 2010
Did it ever occur to you that maybe you were not up to standard?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: DIFFICULT TO PASS THE DRIVING ROAD TEST Oct 17, 2010
Yeah but let's face it, the driving test is not up to standard.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Surprisingly, I keep on hearing the same complains from the same specific nationality, is there a problem between them and the RTA :shock:
symmetric
BANNED

No they are just more vocal and more in numbers
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I took my driving test here in Dubai and passed 1st time, didn't see a problem with it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Chocoholic wrote:Yeah but let's face it, the driving test is not up to standard.

The driving test, doesn't test for anything, other than being able to move a car from a-to-b without spilling the policeman's coffee.
Everyone who passes the driving 'test', forgets lane disipline, how to indicate, stick to the speed limit, and general courtesy to other drivers the minute they step out of the RTA which is the other half of the problem.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

sage & onion wrote:I took my driving test here in Dubai and passed 1st time, didn't see a problem with it.

Sage I can almost 100% guarantee you that if today you went and took the test you will fail.
desertdudeshj

benwj wrote:............forgets lane disipline, how to indicate, stick to the speed limit, and general courtesy to other drivers...............

No, no, no. You have it wrong. The test is based on all your "forgets"!!! :lol:

Heard once that when someone was taking the test, driving on a main street - one lane left turn, 3 straight, they were in the lane proceeding straight, right of the left turn lane - the instructor told them to make a left at the last moment, driver told them it was one lane and that it was too late, instructor told driver - cut in!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

desertdudeshj

I took a written test in Qatar many Years ago for a Qatari Driving License, and the Traffic Sign poster they were using was an old UK DOT (Department of Transport) Poster and I ended up telling THEM what some of the signs meant :wink:, and the Qatari driving license then, was the same as the UK little red book in use prior to the current 2 Part License, anyone remember that one?

I think there is a lot of confusion on the roads in the UAE and the RTA should shoulder the responsibility of getting more information out to the driving population, the rules and regulations need more exposure, it would be interesting to know, just among the readers of this thread and without confirmation from friends or t'internet, In the UAE, are you restricted from overtaking the vehicle in front by overtaking on one side of the vehicle only, or can you overtake the vehicle in front of you on either side?
Dillon

Dillon wrote:In the UAE, are you restricted from overtaking the vehicle in front by overtaking on one side of the vehicle only, or can you overtake the vehicle in front of you on either side?

In europe they get very irrate about this.
If the UAE police feel it is wrong, I suppose you can be booked for it.
But sometimes there isn't much other option with bloody bongo vans doing 100km/hr in the left lane/s.
benwj

benwj wrote:
Dillon wrote:In the UAE, are you restricted from overtaking the vehicle in front by overtaking on one side of the vehicle only, or can you overtake the vehicle in front of you on either side?

In europe they get very irrate about this.
If the UAE police feel it is wrong, I suppose you can be booked for it.
But sometimes there isn't much other option with bloody bongo vans doing 100km/hr in the left lane/s.

My question is about the perception of the driving population of what the actual regulation is here in the UAE, not anywhere else in the world and certainly not how the Police may feel about it as I believe their driving habits are far removed from that of a role-model!

So, should you overtake on the Offside, the Nearside or either side of the vehicle in front?
Dillon

This is very simple, and looks as though one individual who would be a danger to others is kept off the road.

Imagine how they are at this stage then they reach a level of what they think is confidence..............................................................BANG!

I personnaly dont want to be around them on the road.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

[quote=]"DillonSo, should you overtake on the Offside, the Nearside or either side of the vehicle in front?[/quote]

The law here is the same as the UK - "undertaking" a vehicle on (in this case) the right hand side is an offence. The correct way (legal way) is on the left.....but as everyone says and knows, what's legal and what happens on a day to day basis are tow entirely different things.

Similarly, "tailgating" is illegal here, but it goes on to one hell of a degree. Things that you see here would result in a driving ban in the UK for dangerous driving, but here, it's the accepted way to overtake for some people. AD Police had a campaign running about it before the summer. I suppose they may have caught a few people, but nothing chnages on the whole. Because like in every other aspect of life here, the law doesn't apply to all of us....
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

Re: DIFFICULT TO PASS THE DRIVING ROAD TEST Oct 18, 2010
There is a difference between 'undertaking' and 'moving faster than a slower vehicle in the left hand lane'.

All lanes here are designed for travel at the same speed, however there is no rule about keeping to the right hand lane. In the UK, for example, the inside lane is 'The Highway', the next lane is the 'First Overtaking lane' and the outside (or fast lane) is the 'Second Overtaking lane'.

It is quite common here to find someone tootling along at 80kmph in the left hand (fast) lane and all the traffic around him is moving at 120kmph and therefore technically undertaking him. There is normally a long queue behind him with a 4x4 stuck 1cm from his back bumper with lights a'flashing and being completely ignored.

Its the same in the US. The Interstates are all 65mph speed limit and you will find a 40ft semi in the inside lane, a ute with a gun rack in the back window and a micro bus full of Christian soldiers all sitting in the other lanes all travelling at the same speed.

Someone needs to educate drivers about pulling over into the inside lane.

Incidentally, when I presented my rather tatty and worn UK license to the police here, they gave me a UAE one that entitles me to drive all the categories I was qualified for in the UK. So I am licensed to drive motorbikes, PSV, trucks and trailers, cranes, tracked vehicles and even 3 wheelers! Not seen many of those here yet...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat