To DF Humanitarians Committe

Topic locked
To DF humanitarians committe Aug 29, 2010
Listen up DF, since you are acting all humanitarians don't forget to donate some of your alcohol allowances :shock: to the Pakistanis effected with the flooding donations reached 75,000,000 in UAE. Stop being fake and do something for real instead of setting your butts pointing fingers. You can use your mobile sms to donate .

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: To DF humanitarians committe Aug 30, 2010
uaekid wrote: donations reached 75,000,000 in UAE.

That was a telethon and those are "pledges". Pledges are non-binding announcements of an intended contribution or allocation by the donor. People still need to follow through with said pledge.

i find it interesting that in this article there is no mention of an SMS number or even HOW to donate:

http://gulfnews.com/in-focus/pakistan-f ... t-1.674891

Last I heard, the federal gov't committed $5 million USD to Pakistan. They gave $100 million to Gaza relief.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote: They gave $100 million to Gaza relief.

Did Gaza need a pee?

Normally you only need a nickel...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

uaekid wrote:Listen up DF, since you are acting all humanitarians don't forget to donate some of your alcohol allowances :shock: to the Pakistanis effected with the flooding donations reached 75,000,000 in UAE. Stop being fake and do something for real instead of setting your butts pointing fingers. You can use your mobile sms to donate .

So Kid,

Are you saying that the 75m was donated solely by UAE Nationals?, I don't think so.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

It's not just cash, there's donations bins around the UAE for clothes, supplies, food etc

Hmmmm the whole thing is not good. Although 'Force majeure' - maybe someone is trying to tell them something.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

sage & onion wrote:
uaekid wrote:Listen up DF, since you are acting all humanitarians don't forget to donate some of your alcohol allowances :shock: to the Pakistanis effected with the flooding donations reached 75,000,000 in UAE. Stop being fake and do something for real instead of setting your butts pointing fingers. You can use your mobile sms to donate .

So Kid,

Are you saying that the 75m was donated solely by UAE Nationals?, I don't think so.

nop. many comes from pakistanies themselves and other firms ,banks and orgnizations. I didn't say "UAE national" all I'm saying is that every dirham counts.
uaekid

UAEkid, good for you if you donate and are helping out but don't you think it is a personal thing whether someone wants to donate and to which cause?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:UAEkid, good for you if you donate and are helping out but don't you think it is a personal thing whether someone wants to donate and to which cause?

True. I like to help the fur babies.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:
Ambassador wrote:UAEkid, good for you if you donate and are helping out but don't you think it is a personal thing whether someone wants to donate and to which cause?

Cats, dogs, tigers, lions or just hairy babies?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Ambassador wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Cats, dogs, tigers, lions or just hairy babies?

LOL of the animal kingdom variety - not a fan of babies.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I think you will find all Nationalities trying to help, charity comes from the heart, it has absolutely nothing to do with having an alcoholic drink.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: To DF Humanitarians Committe Aug 30, 2010
I would say there is more government aid comming from Non Muslims countries in all shape or form. Than all its oil rich "Muslim Brothers" which is a shame really. The Americans were the first ones to send in their forces as well. to help in the aid relief and rescue efforts followed by many other western nations as well,

There is much more Aid being organised and sent by private individuals aswell. One of my close friends is donating almost all of his free time doing this and has been succesfull in sending a container filled with supplies which he and his team has literally gone door to door to collect from donors anything from dry food, bottled water, clothes, torch lights, blankets etc etc. Also using his contacts for companies to donate services from warehouse space to shipping logistics. And he is not the only one I know there are so many out there who have mobilised on an individual basis.
desertdudeshj

Re: To DF Humanitarians Committe Aug 30, 2010
hehe, Muslim governments have to send their helps to Gazza or Hamas (at least in Iran case!)

Well done to ur friend DD, here individuals make donations to the pakistan embassy, hope that would help.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

hell with the pakis!!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:hell with the pakis!!!

I pretty much figured this thread would end up there anyway..........off to FC we go!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: To DF Humanitarians Committe Aug 31, 2010
High ho, High ho off to FC we go

desertdudeshj

Re: To DF humanitarians committe Aug 31, 2010
It's disheartening to see on another forum that people are being put off donating things, because charitable organisations will only accept halal food and non-western clothing for women. I'm sorry but if you were in such a pitiful situation and starving, are you really going to care?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:It's disheartening to see on another forum that people are being put off donating things, because charitable organisations will only accept halal food and non-western clothing for women. I'm sorry but if you were in such a pitiful situation and starving, are you really going to care?

I will assume for purposes of my question that you are Western.

Suppose there is a natural catastrophe (god forbid) in your home town.

Question: If the good people of Sharjah sent you Abayas (the full Ninja outfit) and Dishdash would you were either (don't know your gender) or would you wait for western clothing (or make the clothes into western clothes). Honest now! (the quick answer is “yes”)
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Chocoholic wrote:It's disheartening to see on another forum that people are being put off donating things, because charitable organisations will only accept halal food and non-western clothing for women. I'm sorry but if you were in such a pitiful situation and starving, are you really going to care?

well thongs and miniskirts certainly won't help :lol:
and if you intend to donate food, it doesn't have to be your left over choc. :oops:
uaekid

I think if you were in that desperate situation where you had nothing, you'd take anything given to you. Grow up Kid, we're only talking t-shirts and jumpers for goodness sake - you like to tar people all the same don't you!

Would you sit there and starve with an empty belly, listening to your children cry in hunger around you? Or eat what people have been kind enough to send?

Admittedly from the UAE it's not so much a problem because all the food apart from that in the pork sections is halal, but for other countries it's a bit harder. Add to the fact that the people we're talking about are most likely from poor villages and are illeterate, so they woulnd't check anyway.

Food for thought as it were.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

uaekid wrote:

well thongs and miniskirts certainly won't help :lol:
and if you intend to donate food, it doesn't have to be your left over choc. :oops:

:lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Back ON topic - away from the CHILDREN! (BTW what have YOU done?)

It's an issue, do you really think people will care? I'd just be happy that others were generous enough to give anything that they could.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Just read an article in GF (can't get it online) that $1B in aid has been pledged. The pledges came from Muslim states, NGOs, OIC institutions, and telethons held in SA, Turkey, Kuwait, the UAE and Qatar.

Pakistani PM Yousuf Raza Gilani critized donations made to foreign NGOs rather than the Pakistani Government saying "...that much of the money would be wasted. 80% of the aid will not come to you [the people of Pakistan] directly."

Is he upset that the Pakistani Government won't be getting their "cut" from the donations? If one was to rely on the Pakistani government to distribute the aid then I would guess about 98% of the aid wouldn't reach the people.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Just read an article in GF (can't get it online) that $1B in aid has been pledged. The pledges came from Muslim states, NGOs, OIC institutions, and telethons held in SA, Turkey, Kuwait, the UAE and Qatar.

Pakistani PM Yousuf Raza Gilani critized donations made to foreign NGOs rather than the Pakistani Government saying "...that much of the money would be wasted. 80% of the aid will not come to you [the people of Pakistan] directly."

Is he upset that the Pakistani Government won't be getting their "cut" from the donations? If one was to rely on the Pakistani government to distribute the aid then I would guess about 98% of the aid wouldn't reach the people.

Of course it won't - for starters 'pledges' are no guarantee that the money will be given, secondly everyone has their hand in the pot along the way. Which is why it's better to give supplies than cash.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Yes hmmm yes, please send lots of cash - It has been real tough on the Karachi elite recently, other sources of income has been rumbled and all the Pakistani cricketers need money to fund their Emirates Hills lifestyle.

If they taxed themselves proportionately and donated a few helicopters and wedding cake villas then I might feel compelled to donate -

If I actually believed that 50c out of each dollar went on actual (real and tangible) aid then I might chip in until then I will leave the political funding of a fundamentally corrupt nation to its "religious 1brotherhood".

toot toot
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

To second what Viking stated, the question needs to be asked, had the government invested in proper infrastructure and dams and other public amenities could this disaster have been averted by some measure?

Also one begins to wonder if the leaders of Pakistan cared so much about the people would their president be on a world tour during their worst hours?
Then the audacity of the government to block aid from India the one country in the best position to lend in concrete help.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... an+News%29

-- Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:26 pm --

I'll continue what he started, what he means is Pakistan is plagued with too many natural calamities, just give all the Pakis British passports and problem solved!!!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Yes that is absolutely true, these b@stards are upset that they wont be getting their 99% cut. The relief efforts of my friends and associate I have mentioned earlier have made 100% sure that non of the aid is even touched by any govt official and sent directly to know NGO's.

And this is a big concern form the donors aswell, so the process is made completely transparent with official letters from NGO's making requests to recieving the said aid and how and to whom it is being distributed. And once this assurance of transparency is made, companies are much more willing to donate as recently theey able to secure 10,000 bottles of bottled water because of this.

It is truly sad that it has come to this but this should no hamper the people with a willing heart as there are people and places where one can donate aid with the fear of the dirty corrupt paws of the pakistani govt getting at them. Best thing one can do is donate dry foods and supplies and not cash to make sure as these items are less likely to end up in greedy claws.

On a sad side note I am also on a few " western forums " and the majority don't want to donate anything solely for the reason due to the recent wiki leaks of the ISI working and helping the Taliban. Their logic is why should we send aid to a country who are killing our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq.

What good is giving when you want something in return ! :roll:

But all is not lost, good people walk all across the globe and see beyond such petty differences and give for the sole reason for helping out another human regardless of race, creed, sex or religion. And that is what keeps my faith in humanity alive.

-- Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:33 pm --

Misery Called Life wrote:To second what Viking stated, the question needs to be asked, had the government invested in proper infrastructure and dams and other public amenities could this disaster have been averted by some measure?

Also one begins to wonder if the leaders of Pakistan cared so much about the people would their president be on a world tour during their worst hours?
Then the audacity of the government to block aid from India the one country in the best position to lend in concrete help.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... an+News%29

-- Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:26 pm --

I'll continue what he started, what he means is Pakistan is plagued with too many natural calamities, just give all the Pakis British passports and problem solved!!!

Your absolutely right and all these Paki politicians deserve to die the death of a vermin that they are. :evil:
desertdudeshj

Well for those that do want to donate and don't feel comfortable donating cash here are two ways. Phone numbers are listed, so if you are so inclined to donate something, call first.

Today, 26th August, Aramex launched its Support Pakistan campaign, in association with Emirates National Oil Company.

Campaign Brief: Aramex are organizing a city wide collection of emergency relief items (see list below), and providing donors with convenient drop off points around the Dubai, Sharjah and RAK. Donations can dropped at any of the participating ENOC/EPPCO petrol stations (see below for full list) from August 26 to ...September 5, 2010, and Aramex will collect daily and transport to their warehouse in Al Awir for packing (this is where you come in). For more information visit: www.aramex.org or call +971 600 544000.
FOOD ITEMS
Dried Milk for Children and Families
Dates
High Nutrition Biscuits
Squash and Juices
Pulses
Mineral Water
Mixed Ration Packs

NON FOOD ITEMS
Tents / Shelters
Water Coolers
Cooking Utensils
Foot ware for Children
Chattaiyees / Plastic Mats
Pedestal Fans / Table Fans
Mosquito Nets
Blankets
Water Storage Tanks (Fiber glass tanks of 500 glass or smaller, for water storage at camp)
Bed Spread
Floor Mattresses
Pillows
Prickly Heat Powder
Corrugated Sheet(Plastic,fiber or Steel) for Temporary Roofing
Kerosine Stove
Kerosine Lamps
Torches

PERSONAL HYGIENE
Soaps
Hand Towels
Tooth Pastes
Female Sanitary Pads
Diapers / Pampers for minors
Washing Powder/Soap

MEDICINES
Anti biotic (Inj/Oral)
Anti Dioehrea
Anti Snake Venom
Water Purification Tablets
Anti Rashes Creams
Vaccines

DUBAI PETROL STATIONS

ENOC
Behind Crown Plaza - 04 - 343 1194
Umm Suqeim 04 - 348 4351
Jebel Ali Gardens 04 – 882 3428
Next to LOLO Vellage& DTC Main Station (Ghusais) 04 - 264 1569
Emirates Road, Opposite. Site 1036 - 04 – 280 1064
Opposite Al Wasl Club, Oud Metha Road - 04 - 3350920
Al-Barsha, Dubai - 04 - 341 5613

EPPCO Stations
Al Wasl Road (Al Safa Park Opp. Side) : Tel: 04 – 342 9236
After Metropolitan Hotel & Al Massa Cinema: Tel; 04 – 343 9184
Behind Al Habtoor Motors ( Mitsubishi & RR Showroom ) - 04 – 262 5287
Hor Al Anz Area - No Tel Available
Abu Dhabi-Dubai Road,Opp.Site (25),Al-Barsha 1 - 04 - 347 3752
After X52 - Mushrif - 04 - 288 2325
Opp. Wafi Center & Beside EPPCO Training Center - Oud Metha - 04 – 335 9720

SHARJAH PETROL STATIONS
ENOC - Opposite Al Taawan Center and Site 155 - Al Khan - 06 - 5775767

RAK PETROL STATIONS
EPPCO - The Bridge Area - Al Mustaqbel- RAK - 07 – 227 3033[/quote]

ANOTHER COLLECTION:

"Orphans of War" - please try to help in whatever way you can.

"Hello everyone,

Three containers of goods have already being packed and sent. In our first week alone, we had over 500 volunteers physically helping. A massive thanks to you all for making this happen.

A group of us will be personally going to Pakistan next week to oversee that the first consignment of aid from our group is being delivered.

We are therefore collecting and organizing items for the next batch of shipments.

Saturday (August 28th) – 12pm till late
Weekdays: 8.30 pm till late.

For further details and inquiries, you can contact the following people:

Team hotline number 056 799 1673
Kabul Wazir 050 351 9776
www.pakistanfloodreliefdubai.com

You can also drop off items at the shelter during the day on weekdays from 10 am till 6pm.

Please look at the link for directions to the shelter. http://shelter.ae/pdf/final_sheltermap-2.pdf

Please assist in bringing as much aid and contributions as you can from the below list:

Based on the UN recommendations the following items are urgently required:

MEDICINE

ANTI MALARIALS: Mefloquine, Fansidar, Pyrimethamine, Malarone tablets CHOLERA: ORS, IV Fluids, rehydration salts, Kaptin syrup
TYPHOID : Antibiotics Ciproflaxacillin, Amoxil, Taravid
REHYDRATION FLUIDS: ORS, Dextrose Saline, Dextrose water, Ringer lactate, Normal saline
ANTI DIARRHEALS: Immodium, Suspension Kaopectate, Flagyl
ANTI BIOTICS : Amoxillin, Augmentine, actified, Keflex, Septran, Zinnat, Velosef
TOPICAL ANTIBIOTIC CREAMS: Fucidin, Bactroban cream, Genticyn, Baneotine
GLUCOSE/Multivitamins/cough syrups-tablets
ANALGESICS/PAIN KILLERS: Brufen, Voltaren, Panadol Paracetamol, Buscopan, Adol, Disprin, Septran, Ponstan (TABLETS AND SYRUP)
ANTI SPASMODICS: Buscopan tablet and injection, Scopinal tablet and injection
ANTI EMETICS: Primperan, Motilium.
EYE OINTMENTS: Genticyn eye ointment, Fucithalmic eye gel, Naphcon Eye drops, Optrex eye wash
DRESSINGS & BANDAGES
Treatment of infection:
Respiratory tract
Urinary tract
Gastroenterities

FOOD (Non perishable items)

Dates/Glucose high energy biscuits/ sweet and salty biscuits
Rice, lentils (red kidney beans) pulses and other grains
Nuts/dry-fruits in packets
Canned food with attached opener
Chocolates (the kids were cheering with joy in the villages when given chocolates, as well as helping to give energy)
Potato chips (can be eaten quickly, no need for any cooking, therefore experts are recommending these for quick energy intake)
Small juice tetra packs in packs of 6 or 8 (ensure that straws are intact)
Disposable plastic cups, 1.5 litre bottles of water
Cooking oil
Spices – red chili powder/turmeric powder/coriander powder
Salt
Tea/sugar/ Milk (powdered milk is posing an issue due to lack of water supplies, so milk should be in cardboard packs of 1 litre or so, with a 90 day minimum expiration date)

NON FOOD ITEMS

Water coolers
Cooking utensils
Bedsheets/blankets, chaadars
Tents
Sleeping bags

PERSONAL HYGIENE

Mosquito repellents/nets
Anti Bacterial Soap bars/shampoo/toothpaste Miswak/toothbrush
Diapers/Female sanitary pads
Washing powder
Prickly heat powder
Candles
Torches/batteries

One of our main requirements at the moment are packing materials (cardboard boxes, tape, markers)

SITUATION SO FAR

The situation in Pakistan is bleak. The aftermath of the floods has brought and will continue to bring unimaginable horrors. I personally received information that in one village alone, 6 people died of hunger. There are thousands at risk and I cannot comprehend this or register that those 6 people died of hunger let alone the other hundreds unreported DYING OF HUNGER. Not disease such as cholera, typhoid, malaria - but of hunger.

Those diseases have not epidemically spread amongst the affected population as of yet. When the floods subside however the situation will get worse.

We are already receiving reports of cholera outbreaks due to unclean water being consumed by people. When the waters subside and the weather starts to change, outbreaks of mosquitoes will linger, specifically on dead carcasses of all the animals that perished in the floods. Human beings will be affected as mosquitoes transport disease to into humans in a mutated form. A malaria epidemic could be imminent. The weak and the elderly already suffering from malnutrition and other illnesses would be their first target. Water bourne diseases are of major concern. This is excluding cholera, typhoid and other such illnesses. After the monsoon season subsides, winter will approach. I cannot imagine what will happen for the foreseeable future.

The situation might be bleak but all is not lost. We cannot falter on our resolve. We have to reinforce and double our efforts ... and WE CAN.

SAVE A LIFE. You may never see the end result of your own initiative but the recipient will. They will always be grateful for this. Together we can help much more. FROM THE COMMUNITY TO THE COMMUNITY.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

@BB just one question: what are "pulses"?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat