Questions About Cost

Topic locked
Questions about cost Feb 27, 2006
If anybody can help answering these questions or even direct me to a website that would help I would be very grateful.
I have been offered a job in Dubai which would pay approximately £2500 per month (16250 UAE dirhams) but I have little idea how this would equate with the cost of living there.

I am a single male so would really only be needing a one bed apartment. As I don't know many people there something with facilities would be preferable but I won't be getting a housing allowance so cost is a factor. I will be getting hotel accommodation costs paid for during my first 30 days to allow me to find somewhere, although I might still need serviced accom. for a while if I can't find anything in this time.

I don't have a hugely extravagant lifestyle but would enjoy going out now and again. Would this salary allow me to enjoy a fairly comfortable lifestyle in Dubai? I am not looking at this as a short term money-making venture. It is hopefully a long term move and I would be prepared to accept a modest(ish) salary as part of the whole experience.

If there is any other information which anybody thinks would be of help please do tell. Thanks in advance

Gordon
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 28, 2006
Info missing, how old are you, what position, experience, etc.

But 16+ is very good .

Can afford a 1 br in good community with facilities. plus any car up to 150k and you will be left with around 5 to 8 k to do whatever you want, Cheers
yshimy

Feb 28, 2006
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4582

Ok, Gordon this is a starting point. Things that are vitally important to clarify before you accept a position are medical insurance, relocation cost and accommodation allowance. Considering the cost of accom. here and trying to equate that to the lifestyle you already have (plus you have to pay for transport and DEWA electricity bills) I'd say no.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2006
Too low.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 28, 2006
Yep! We agree then X!! Experience is great but doing things on a tight budget just sux and you won't stay for the long haul. I can't imagine you wanting to share a room and on that sort of wage you'd have to. Transport is a prob too 'cos although fuel is cheap and cars are inexpensive you still have that initial outlay for a vehicle unless you decide to catch taxis-so factor in around AED 50 a day just to get to and from work-you are possibly looking at AED100 a day if you want to go elsewhere-then you'd be better off with a hire car-small car is about AED1300 t0 1500 per month plus fuel, which means you are better off buying I'd say. Way too tight in my opinion. :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2006
GAB wrote:Yep! We agree then X!!

Two in a row MC Granny G!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 28, 2006
You make me sound like some sorta burger from Maccas!! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2006
GAB wrote:You make me sound like some sorta burger from Maccas!! :lol:

Haha, Granny G, I meant it as M.C. not Mc(Donalds)...
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 28, 2006
Not enough without the usual expat fringe benifits, ie. rent allowance, car, annual flight and health insurance.
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2006
I should have mentioned that I will be getting annual flights and health insurance but won't be getting car or housing. Hopefully I'll be able to get somewhere central so that a car won't be required, at least not right away. I should still have some headroom each month after paying rent and utilities shouldn't I? Not fussed about saving a huge amount as I am looking at it as a life experience too.
Gordon
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 01, 2006
Annual flight is normally a given. But if you've been paying attention there seems to be a general consensus - if you're housing and car is not included, its too low.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 01, 2006
We don't get car or flights (should have married X!! :cry: ) but having said that rent will take a HUUUUUUUUGE chunk out of your salary. In hot weather too, I wouldn't walk out the front gate for more than 10 seconds- this time of the year I'll walk 20 to 30 minutes but in June/July/ August/September etc I wouldn't walk at all!!
Housing is the BIG ONE- do you want to share a room in a bunk bed with a few other blokes or do you want to live as you are used too!!??
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 01, 2006
As I look out of the window here there is about 6 inches of snow and you can barely see through the blizzard so money isn't the main motivator. Quality of life and a new experience is what I'm looking for.

Whether or not I find what I'm looking for, only time will tell, but I've got to give it a go.
Gordon
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 01, 2006
Gordon, u answered your own post. As long as the money gives you a quality of life that you're happy with then go for it. Trouble is we are not the best people to judge what that would be for you - you are.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 01, 2006
oh come on X,

16,500 dirhams is quite enough to live on here.

Example:

Rent 5,000 (simple studio in a simple building)
Car 1,500
Fuel/Maintenance 1000
Food 1,000
Entertainment 2,000

Total: 10,500

of course you'll have some upfront furnishing and settling costs, but that still leaves you with about 6000 dirhams to play with. Hardly bumming it IMHO
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 01, 2006
Thanks to all who have contributed. It's important to get a balanced view.
Gordon
Dubai Forum Visitor

cost spreadsheet Mar 01, 2006
There are a couple of detailed spreadsheets available for free which tell you about the cost of things in dubai, even big macs!!!!! there are 2- one about rent and one about cost of groceries and things - they are at [url]http://www.grapeshisha.com[/url] - you will love me afterwards - i think it is just what you need. :lol:
nadinerattansi
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 01, 2006
But honey that doesn't leave enough for trips to the spa and nail bar! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 01, 2006
Terra

I agree with XRW.

You say 5k a month rent - yer right, dream on, unless you wanna shared room or a private cabin in a labour camp.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 01, 2006
seriously arniegang, maybe you need to leave the confines of the marina once in a while and explore dubai :roll: my friend just moved into a decent place for less than that near burjuman

in the meantime, live it up at the marina and make fun of the people who built it for you sweating it in a labour camp.
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 01, 2006
Who would want to live in Burjuman ? :lol: :lol:

I expect "your friend" can also laugh at the people who also "sweated" building his residence too - touche 8) 8)
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 02, 2006
you're not making any sense. anyways, no point arguing. let's agree to disagree on this subject.
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 02, 2006
Seriously terranova it would be a good idea for you to tell this guy what your approx. monthly costs are-this would give him an idea of where he stands (yes, I've seen your post-a wee bit more detail needed). I mean our elec bill has hit the AED2000 mark in the summer (per month)...yeah, yeah, I know :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: -the look on my husband's face was interesting :roll: -straight from winter to Dubai summer and in no way acclimatised, yes, our house was like Ski Dubai!! But having broadband, cable and nights out on the town would be out, surely. Give this guy an idea of what can be achieved. :)
For example, did the flat come with a stove/oven, air con.? We had to buy a stove/oven for our kitchen (older building). How much are your DEWA bills per month? You get the gist!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 02, 2006
terranova wrote:oh come on X,

16,500 dirhams is quite enough to live on here.

Example:

Rent 5,000 (simple studio in a simple building)
Car 1,500
Fuel/Maintenance 1000
Food 1,000
Entertainment 2,000

Total: 10,500

of course you'll have some upfront furnishing and settling costs, but that still leaves you with about 6000 dirhams to play with. Hardly bumming it IMHO

Terra,

Don't get me wrong, I didn't say outright its not enough, heck people survive here on a hell of a lot less. My point is we are not the best to judge what is 'enough' for this guy without knowing more about him and his lifestyle.

Shoving the Marina aside, even if you wanted to stay near Burjuman, not in it (come on Arnie! :P), at 5k per month, whats your costs for everything else on top of that? How far would he be from his work? Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... Stuff like this is not a clear cut yes or no, its possible but again, as long as what you are offered is enough to give you the same, or preferably better, quality of life than the place you are now, go for it!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2006
Thanks for all your advice so far, and sorry if I've started an argument among you guys. I appreciate I've given you only the briefest snapshot of my circumstances and can't expect a detailed reply. As long as nobody said I would be living on a park bench and eating dirt on that salary that's enough for me to want to give it a try.

I may return to bug you with some even more banal questions to please be gentle with me.
Gordon
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 02, 2006
Deadly website nadinerattansi!! Definatly cheaper than Dublin, thank god!
irish vanessa
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum