Keep Your Pics Off Facebook

Topic locked
Keep Your Pics Off Facebook May 05, 2010
I don't get this fascination with people posting their lives online. Seriously, what are people tryin to prove when they post party pics clicked in a drunken stupor, holding a random chic, and tongues whirling in a lap dog like trance (the day is not far when we all go partyin and a doggy bark will be the mode of communication) But don't people realize that a picture will last forever? It's crazy.

I personally know quite a few interview applicants who got rejected after the HR guys went all snoopy doo and picked up info bout these people. What sucks is that people post scandalous pics to make a statement, it does not represents their lives, but alas those pics could cost them. I mean imagine a day when the law enforcement authorities arrest somebody for posting racy pics in their FB account.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/techno ... -u8rk.html

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Keep Your Pics Off Facebook May 05, 2010
You know it;s really simple to just make your FB profile private so no-one but your friends can view it.

Pics last forever? Isn't that kinda the point? Collecting memories.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Misery Called Life wrote:I don't get this fascination with people posting their lives online. Seriously, what are people tryin to prove when they post party pics clicked in a drunken stupor, holding a random chic, and tongues whirling in a lap dog like trance (the day is not far when we all go partyin and a doggy bark will be the mode of communication) But don't people realize that a picture will last forever? It's crazy.

I personally know quite a few interview applicants who got rejected after the HR guys went all snoopy doo and picked up info bout these people. What sucks is that people post scandalous pics to make a statement, it does not represents their lives, but alas those pics could cost them. I mean imagine a day when the law enforcement authorities arrest somebody for posting racy pics in their FB account.

You really are misery...

ITS CALLED FUN

Try it
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

gezza wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote: I personally know quite a few interview applicants who got rejected after the HR guys went all snoopy doo and picked up info bout these people. What sucks is that people post scandalous pics to make a statement, it does not represents their lives, but alas those pics could cost them.

You really are misery...

ITS CALLED FUN

Try it

Actually MCL is right about the content that you post. HR personnel google potential candidates. Many, many people on FB accept "friends requests" without really knowing who the person is. HR personnel, under an assumed name, can request friendship to gain access to your photos and so forth, assuming you weren't foolish enough not to set the settings to limit who can see your info, details and anything else on your page. Judgments are made on the content of what they see. Many HR personnel do a search on employees from time to time. Go to "search" and type in any first name, and take a look at how many who are not your friend, and see how many allow their info and photos to be viewed!!!

A young lady working at a hotel here in Dubai, listed the hotel as her place of employment. Someone, either through being a "friend", or carelessness on the girl's part from not making her info private, obtained a photo of her in a bikini, which photo was deemed provacative. This photo was distributed by someone "annonymous" to all the executives. As a result, she was called in as they did not like the fact that she listed her employer, and they did not want a connection to be made. She was asked to remove the name of her employer.

So if you want to keep it fun, be careful of the content you post, know who you are accepting friendships from, and make sure your settings limit who can see your details.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Chocoholic wrote:You know it;s really simple to just make your FB profile private so no-one but your friends can view it.

Pics last forever? Isn't that kinda the point? Collecting memories.

Sheesh do you always have to miss the point? Collect all the memories you want, but why post it for the whole world to see...
Besides plss the average person is on a whole host of networking sites, it's not just facebook. Trust you do something stupid online and it will come back to haunt you. Besides how private is ur profile when a 1000 odd friends can view it.

-- Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 pm --

gezza wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:I don't get this fascination with people posting their lives online. Seriously, what are people tryin to prove when they post party pics clicked in a drunken stupor, holding a random chic, and tongues whirling in a lap dog like trance (the day is not far when we all go partyin and a doggy bark will be the mode of communication) But don't people realize that a picture will last forever? It's crazy.

You really are misery...

ITS CALLED FUN

Try it

I do, I do serious, despite the name I do :P But I also know how to cover my tracks darn well too.

-- Wed May 05, 2010 6:41 pm --

Bora Bora wrote:Actually MCL is right about the content that you post. HR personnel google potential candidates. Many, many people on FB accept "friends requests" without really knowing who the person is. HR personnel, under an assumed name, can request friendship to gain access to your photos and so forth, assuming you weren't foolish enough not to set the settings to limit who can see your info, details and anything else on your page. Judgments are made on the content of what they see. Many HR personnel do a search on employees from time to time. Go to "search" and type in any first name, and take a look at how many who are not your friend, and see how many allow their info and photos to be viewed!!!

Totally. Guess when tasty hits the ceiling some will understand that something "fun" could turn out to be costly.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

The thing is MCL is that if you don't get the job, and one of the deciding factors was the content on your "page", more than likely you will never be told that your public private life factored into the decision, and it's the one thing that 99.9% of people who don't or can't get a job would never think that making their private life public could impact the final decision.

I've seen pics of "professionals" that should never, ever be put out there. Potential clients also google executives/lawyers that they are considering hiring. I'm sure that companies may have lost business because of the info employees reveal deliberately or unintentionally.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

It's not for 'the whole world to see' is it though if you've got your security settings right. Plus people like to share their trips abroad, interesting things they do, events they might attend etc. Say for example someone like me, whose family and good friends are spread across the globe, why should I take forever to bung them on an email when I can load to FB and people can just look at it there?

So long as you have your security settings in place, there really isn't much of an issue, plus you can also add people to a limited profile list and pick and choose what info they can view. Simple really.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Keep Your Pics Off Facebook May 06, 2010
Too many dodgy pics of me and certain others off their faces in karaoke bars?

Shurely shome mishtake!

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Chocoholic wrote:It's not for 'the whole world to see' is it though if you've got your security settings right. Plus people like to share their trips abroad, interesting things they do, events they might attend etc. Say for example someone like me, whose family and good friends are spread across the globe, why should I take forever to bung them on an email when I can load to FB and people can just look at it there?

So long as you have your security settings in place, there really isn't much of an issue, plus you can also add people to a limited profile list and pick and choose what info they can view. Simple really.

I did say that some people don't set their settings for security and limited viewing. Do the search as I suggested in my previous post and you will find way too many don't set for privacy. FB is great for sharing in the manner that you do, but that is not the case with many people. Have you seen some pics that people post???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Yes I know some people have open profiles, which I really don't understand. However, on the flipside it's very shallow of someone to make a judgement about a person based on a 'photo' really isn't it, without even meeting them.

-- Thu May 06, 2010 7:35 am --

Dubai Knight wrote:Too many dodgy pics of me and certain others off their faces in karaoke bars?

Shurely shome mishtake!

Knight

LOL nah they were pretty good actually - not bad at all. Shall I make it my profile pic? lol
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Yes I know some people have open profiles, which I really don't understand. However, on the flipside it's very shallow of someone to make a judgement about a person based on a 'photo' really isn't it, without even meeting them.

-- Thu May 06, 2010 7:35 am --

Dubai Knight wrote:Too many dodgy pics of me and certain others off their faces in karaoke bars?

Shurely shome mishtake!

Knight

LOL nah they were pretty good actually - not bad at all. Shall I make it my profile pic? lol

I would love to see Sage FB
capsicum
BANNED

Not Sage! DK - doh!

I could only imagine what would be in Sage's list of albums. "This is why I love Dubai', 'My zimmerframe collection' etc etc
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:It's not for 'the whole world to see' is it though if you've got your security settings right. Plus people like to share their trips abroad, interesting things they do, events they might attend etc. Say for example someone like me, whose family and good friends are spread across the globe, why should I take forever to bung them on an email when I can load to FB and people can just look at it there?

Couldn't help thinking, the day FB starts charging users, you miss are gonna have withdrawal symptoms. :lol: :lol:

But as BB said, you might be all right, but many others do commit astounding follies they later regret.
examples- posting topless pics, making racial comments etc etc.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

desertdudeshj

G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

Chocoholic wrote: Shall I make it my profile pic? lol

That might be a laugh! Mind you tongues will wag!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Keep Your Pics Off Facebook May 08, 2010
Most people are aware that they can use the privacy settings but most don't. A friend of mine was 'friends' with this çhick' until he realized it was his boss with a fake account!!!
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Keep Your Pics Off Facebook May 12, 2010
I really dont get why anyone would want to work for a company or even a boss that interferes with the personal lives of their employees. If i want to put an "inappropriate" picture of me on my facebook it is my decision and it means im ok with my friends seeing it. If my boss tried to pull a stunt like that on me......i would pull one up his starting with a tip of my shoes!
PoolShark
Dubai Forum Visitor

PoolShark wrote:I really dont get why anyone would want to work for a company or even a boss that interferes with the personal lives of their employees. If i want to put an "inappropriate" picture of me on my facebook it is my decision and it means im ok with my friends seeing it. If my boss tried to pull a stunt like that on me......i would pull one up his starting with a tip of my shoes!

So then he fires you for not wearing pointy enough shoes?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

BTW Whats with the pointy shoes nowadays ???? they look absolutely nasty !

Maybe a fashion revival from the middle ages is comming up

desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:BTW Whats with the pointy shoes nowadays ???? they look absolutely nasty !

The Lebos have always loved them!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I think its only the lebos who like them, havent seen anyone else wearing aladins footwear !
desertdudeshj

Dubai Knight wrote:
PoolShark wrote:I really dont get why anyone would want to work for a company or even a boss that interferes with the personal lives of their employees. If i want to put an "inappropriate" picture of me on my facebook it is my decision and it means im ok with my friends seeing it. If my boss tried to pull a stunt like that on me......i would pull one up his starting with a tip of my shoes!

So then he fires you for not wearing pointy enough shoes?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight

Well he knows me well enough not to fire me,lol. The company owes me 3months worth of pay since his wonderful partner ran off to the Philippines. If i knew back then what his intentions were, pointy shoes would have been the least of his worries.

-- Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:I think its only the lebos who like them, havent seen anyone else wearing aladins footwear !

My indian landlord wears a pointy lebo shoes and drives a Beemer. I think things are starting to change.

-- Wed May 12, 2010 5:39 pm --

And btw. I noticed that on facebook even if you set your profile/pictures to private other people can still view them through your friends if you are tagged in those photos.
PoolShark
Dubai Forum Visitor

Hmm you've never really owned a company have you? I mean when you own a company, or when ur in charge of the hiring, why not dig out more info on a candidate when it's only a click away? And if one is stupid enough to post retarded pics it gives out the impression that he'd be just as careless with company matters.

-- Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote:BTW Whats with the pointy shoes nowadays ???? they look absolutely nasty !

Pointy shoes is so last season and beyond man. The Lebs are done with it, they borrowed from the Italians, and now the Indians(all 2 mill of them) will do the trend, followed by maybe Pakistanis and Palestinians and only then will pointy-yy shoes finally be banished......unless the Italians decide to recycle it. Then the cycle starts over!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

I still see plenty of lebs wearing those, infact just this morning !
desertdudeshj

Misery Called Life wrote:
PoolShark wrote:Hmm you've never really owned a company have you? I mean when you own a company, or when ur in charge of the hiring, why not dig out more info on a candidate when it's only a click away? And if one is stupid enough to post retarded pics it gives out the impression that he'd be just as careless with company matters.

I may not own a company but i work very closely with the people who do. It maybe a necessity in your field of work but here in construction we don't generally care about what the employee does with his personal life. As long as he comes to office on time, does his work the way he should and gets along with the rest of the office crowd then by all means i don't see why he/she should be judged simply because of something they might have posted as inappropriate on social networking sites.

Sometimes we joke about it but never to the point where we start judging them.

You see the way we see it our work and personal life are 2 different things that shouldn't be mixed up either way. With that said, things are going well so far.
PoolShark
Dubai Forum Visitor

Construction!!!! That's says it all. You guys have no standards!!! :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Construction!!!! That's says it all. You guys have no standards!!! :lol: :lol:

Its true we shout, curse, throw stuff around and sometimes threaten each other at work but at the end of the day it always work out well. Standards or no standards :P
PoolShark
Dubai Forum Visitor

Hmmmmm, the temptation to comment is great, but I think I'm going to let it pass. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Keep Your Pics Off Facebook May 13, 2010
Bora Bora wrote:Construction!!!! That's says it all. You guys have no standards!!! :lol: :lol:

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, take that back :shock: :shock: :shock:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat