Beauty Therapy Jobs - Are They All Such Low Wages?!

Topic locked
beauty therapy jobs - are they all such low wages?! Feb 07, 2006
I am a beauty therapist thinking of relocating to Dubai but the wages for jobs in spas seem to be pitiful! The wages seem to range from 30,000 to 36,000 which someone on this forum kindly informed me would be less than £400 a month. Surely this can't be right! Granted, accomodation and meals are included but this still seems like a micky take to me! Where can I find beauty therapy jobs that would pay enough so I wouldn't be scraping the barrel?! If all beauty therapy jobs are this low paid what kind of other jobs can I consider in Dubai with only having beauty therapy qualifications?

Please help!

locket
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 07, 2006
From my limited knowledge (hotels), most of the classy salon's/spa's use cheap labour as beauty therapists. This is especially true in the majority of the hotels.

Im sure there are some ladies here that can give you more detailed "local knowledge".

Hope this helps
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 07, 2006
Thanks for you help. Looks like I'm in trouble then. This leaves me in a bit of a bind cos only have beauty therapy qualifications. Any ideas what other kind of jobs I can pursue without necessarily having experience in them? Hopefully ones that are likely to pay more!
locket
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 26, 2006
Hey! Sorry this is a bit late..
Try calling Spa Resources or visiting their website..www.spa-resources-international.com

They are basically a recruitment agency for the beauty industry in Dubai.

And yes, you're right..for some reason the wages in the industry in Dubai seem to be EXTREMELY low..I calculated my last job and I was making less than minimum wage back in the states! And that was at a "Decent" salary..

Alot of places give commission here, too. So bascially you would be getting a basic salary, and a percentage of whatever you make as well. That seems to be how beauty therapists make most of their money here.

Or you could always free lance..alot of places also rent out rooms in their facilities so that you can sorta run your own place.

Also, the hours are LONG. I just found out about one job and it was 60 hours a week! And they offered me less than half of what I was making when I was making minimum wage!

Anyway, good luck with all of this, hope I helped a bit. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions regarding the industry in Dubai.
ViolentFemme
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted