Do You Have Friends Leaving?

Topic locked
Nov 09, 2009
Chocoholic wrote::cry: Now one of my very best friends has dropped the bomb she's leaving next week - so sad!

So many times Nationals told expats: "if you dont like it, leave! " well seems they do .

gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 09, 2009
Chocs, if so many of your friends are living, this is a crisis. Who are you going to get all your information from????
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nov 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote::cry: Now one of my very best friends has dropped the bomb she's leaving next week - so sad!

Wow!.... Another one!!

I thought things were beginning to stabilize a bit -- not improve,.. just stabilize a bit. But I guess I was wrong!

Hey Chocs….It would be interesting to know this:

How many of your friends who have already left, have actually left only because they had had it with Dubai, NOT because they had become redundant at their workplace?

In percentage terms, if you prefer – half, more than half, or perhaps none???

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 10, 2009
A song for those saying goodbye?

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 10, 2009
TJ, I'd have to say probably about 50/50 to be honest and there are a few more considering a move.

Very funny Bora - NOT! My sources don't change, just maybe the contacts.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 10, 2009
To spin it 180deg’s, do you think the current climate is stopping folk coming across. I had to turn an offer down last month because it just wasn’t right for me. But still hope to land the right job by the end of the year. But all the talk about redundancies may well put people off. There’s quite a lot of risk in upping sticks, moving to the other side of the world and then living with the fear of it all going pear shaped three months later.
expatwanabe
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 10, 2009
expatwanabe wrote:To spin it 180deg’s, do you think the current climate is stopping folk coming across. I had to turn an offer down last month because it just wasn’t right for me. But still hope to land the right job by the end of the year. But all the talk about redundancies may well put people off. There’s quite a lot of risk in upping sticks, moving to the other side of the world and then living with the fear of it all going pear shaped three months later.

don't give them hope man
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 10, 2009
Yeah I think many people are being put off coming to the UAE.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 10, 2009
I think we are going to pull the pin in the coming year. I'd go sooner, but the Mrs. has obligations for a few months. I am employed, but just had enough. None of my friends have left, but all my family will be gone in a couple of months.

Dubai has been an experience, and perhaps the fastest years of my life (2 years today). Looking forward to the day when we are leaving....I miss blue skies, rain and cheap(er) cost of living.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Nov 10, 2009
chocs, people will keep on coming to dubai and will keep on leaving dubai so am sure you will make new friends.

it is hard time for all of us and I believe we could probably help each other. Who knows one of us could be selling products or services which could be beneficial for others!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 10, 2009
let's face it....Most of us (expats) were riding the wave of good salaries and a feeling of living in a progressive City.... That seems to be over for the time being. They need to re-invent themselves in order to attract a new generation of talent.

Interesting:

http://www.thecoolhunter.net/article/de ... rand-dubai
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 10, 2009
just remember one thing, it is much much harder for people who loose the job, have to leave the country, AND leave their friends here. so consider yourself lucky if you are still here and keeping your job.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah I think many people are being put off coming to the UAE.

The exception would be Abu Dhabi. It continues to thrive and got through the recession without even a hiccup. And where the recession did have an impact they made early corrections.

In all probability AD didn't and doesn't have the level of embezzling and corruption that has taken place in Dubai. They also don't madate that locals just graduating university be given executive positions such as CEO, and I believe there is very little nepotism, which I don't have an issue with as long as the incoming relative is qualified, or "friend" if that is the case.

AD still relies heavily on expats and many people who were made redundant, and those who were anticipating redundency, went over to AD.

As for the other emirates, I don't think there were that many expats going there in the first place. It's not as if RAK or Al Ain were growing even close to the same level as did Dubai, or Abu Dhabi for that matter.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nov 10, 2009
Yep i too will be moving from Dubai this year,but only to my weekend bolthole in RAK.
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 10, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

The exception would be Abu Dhabi. It continues to thrive and got through the recession without even a hiccup. And where the recession did have an impact they made early corrections.

In all probability AD didn't and doesn't have the level of embezzling and corruption that has taken place in Dubai. They also don't madate that locals just graduating university be given executive positions such as CEO, and I believe there is very little nepotism, which I don't have an issue with as long as the incoming relative is qualified, or "friend" if that is the case.

AD still relies heavily on expats and many people who were made redundant, and those who were anticipating redundency, went over to AD.

As for the other emirates, I don't think there were that many expats going there in the first place. It's not as if RAK or Al Ain were growing even close to the same level as did Dubai, or Abu Dhabi for that matter.

Somehow I don't believe their has been no problems in Abu Dhabi, it's just not at the scale of Dubai. Lets all pray that it comes good though.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Somehow I don't believe their has been no problems in Abu Dhabi, it's just not at the scale of Dubai. Lets all pray that it comes good though.

What problems AD had S&O were minimal. The corruption and embezzling that took place in Dubai had a profound affect when the recession hit. Alot of the money that was stolen or embezzled in Dubai was hidden in bank accounts under family member names or was transferred out of the country. In comparison, I would have to say that there is very, very little of that in AD. I am sure the penalties are considerably serious in AD if caught embezzling or stealing, more than just a slap on the hand.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nov 11, 2009
What problems AD had S&O were minimal. The corruption and embezzling that took place in Dubai had a profound affect when the recession hit. Alot of the money that was stolen or embezzled in Dubai was hidden in bank accounts under family member names or was transferred out of the country. In comparison, I would have to say that there is very, very little of that in AD. I am sure the penalties are considerably serious in AD if caught embezzling or stealing, more than just a slap on the hand.[/quote]

So....this is where this is going...Dubai is going to hit the dust, and blame it on the expats.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 12, 2009
gertrude wrote:What problems AD had S&O were minimal. The corruption and embezzling that took place in Dubai had a profound affect when the recession hit. Alot of the money that was stolen or embezzled in Dubai was hidden in bank accounts under family member names or was transferred out of the country. In comparison, I would have to say that there is very, very little of that in AD. I am sure the penalties are considerably serious in AD if caught embezzling or stealing, more than just a slap on the hand.

So....this is where this is going...Dubai is going to hit the dust, and blame it on the expats.[/quote]

It can go there if you take it there Gertrude. No where, absolutely no where, did I say that expats were responsible for the embezzling and corruption. If you read my post in the context it was meant, you would see that I was pointing out that expats were heading to AD. That came as a result of companies failing, redundancies and people anticipating being made redundant. Or haven't you noticed?

Dubai will not go to dust. It will come back, but maybe not as strong as it once was. The embezzling and corruption got way out of hand. Now that Dubai is financially strapped, I'm sure during the recovery corporate finances are going to be monitored closely. It's a live and learn situation. The ride has come to an end for many people, locals and expats.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Do you have friends leaving? Nov 12, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:I'm very sad at the moment, some of my very good friends have decided to leave Dubai and will be gone by the end of the year. This is the third wave of people I know leaving and it seems to be getting worse. The main reasons being that they've been made redundent and can't find other work, or have just had enough now.

It's really started me thinking about how long I want to stay in Dubai myself, because at the moment I'm starting to consider it wasted time.

At the end .. everyone have to go home .. :D
catalyst
Dubai chat master

Nov 12, 2009
Dubai will not go to dust. It will come back, but maybe not as strong as it once was. The embezzling and corruption got way out of hand. Now that Dubai is financially strapped, I'm sure during the recovery corporate finances are going to be monitored closely. It's a live and learn situation. The ride has come to an end for many people, locals and expats.[/quote]

Hummmm... too easy to claim that Dubai was victim of embezzling getting out of hand. Sure it was senseless spending, bad choices, greed and huge managment mistakes, but from the rulers / nationals not the expats.
So far no expats have been proven to be guilty of embezzlement and I dont think any foreigners beleive any longer in these court cases where expats are being blamed for zillions dollars scams.
If Dubai does not come back the way it was, it will go to dust, it cannot come back half strong like you say, and forget the other half who invested money in all these projects that are now stopped.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 13, 2009
gertrude wrote:Dubai will not go to dust. It will come back, but maybe not as strong as it once was. The embezzling and corruption got way out of hand. Now that Dubai is financially strapped, I'm sure during the recovery corporate finances are going to be monitored closely. It's a live and learn situation. The ride has come to an end for many people, locals and expats.

Hummmm... too easy to claim that Dubai was victim of embezzling getting out of hand. Sure it was senseless spending, bad choices, greed and huge managment mistakes, but from the rulers / nationals not the expats.
So far no expats have been proven to be guilty of embezzlement and I dont think any foreigners beleive any longer in these court cases where expats are being blamed for zillions dollars scams.
If Dubai does not come back the way it was, it will go to dust, it cannot come back half strong like you say, and forget the other half who invested money in all these projects that are now stopped.
[/quote]
Are seriously saying that no expat has been involved in stealing from the UAE???

The name Trutch has been mentioned on this forum before and he is one of a long line of expats who have been caught and admitted to stealing from here.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 13, 2009
This thread is about people who leave Dubai, anyways ....I looked it up, I cannot find any info on Mr Trutch. Never heard of him. The info on DF is not relevant because it s not supported by any links. So if you have the link on the court case in the UK, please drop it here.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 13, 2009
gertrude wrote:This thread is about people who leave Dubai, anyways ....I looked it up, I cannot find any info on Mr Trutch. Never heard of him. The info on DF is not relevant because it s not supported by any links. So if you have the link on the court case in the UK, please drop it here.

I'm a bit confused. What court case in the UK?

Gertrude, much of what has happened never reached the press or the media. That would only have done more damage to Dubai. It's sad that you think that Dubai will turn to dust.

I said that it won't come back as strong as it was, but it will come back, but it is going to take a huge correction in order for it to come back to a level that it will be a destination - tourism and/or business. To what level, I don't know. If I could tell you that, I wouldn't be sitting here on DF; I'd be off making money from my power to foresee the future!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nov 13, 2009
gertrude wrote:This thread is about people who leave Dubai, anyways ....I looked it up, I cannot find any info on Mr Trutch. Never heard of him. The info on DF is not relevant because it s not supported by any links. So if you have the link on the court case in the UK, please drop it here.

Is this good enough for you:

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/news/07oct93-du ... 45.article
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 14, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

Is this good enough for you:

http://www.cnplus.co.uk/news/07oct93-du ... 45.article

Well that settles that!! Couldn't be any more clear.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Do you have friends leaving? Nov 14, 2009
catalyst wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I'm very sad at the moment, some of my very good friends have decided to leave Dubai and will be gone by the end of the year. This is the third wave of people I know leaving and it seems to be getting worse. The main reasons being that they've been made redundent and can't find other work, or have just had enough now.

It's really started me thinking about how long I want to stay in Dubai myself, because at the moment I'm starting to consider it wasted time.

At the end .. everyone have to go home .. :D

Guess who's back :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 14, 2009
From my brief stay there back in September I can think of a lot worst locations to be “stuck in”.

Good luck to all those who are thinking about leaving, I hope you find what you’re looking for.

What ever life throws at you, remember there are no such things as good and bad experiences. It’s all about how you interpret them, life’s too short to have to live with fears and regrets.
expatwanabe
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 14, 2009
expatwanabe wrote:From my brief stay there back in September I can think of a lot worst locations to be “stuck in”.

Good luck to all those who are thinking about leaving, I hope you find what you’re looking for.

What ever life throws at you, remember there are no such things as good and bad experiences. It’s all about how you interpret them, life’s too short to have to live with fears and regrets.

Yes, and I know a lot of worst places too, difference is I know them before hand, in Dubai it's smoke and mirrors, you know it sucks when it s too late.
capsicum
BANNED

Nov 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

I'm a bit confused. What court case in the UK?

Gertrude, much of what has happened never reached the press or the media. That would only have done more damage to Dubai. It's sad that you think that Dubai will turn to dust.

I said that it won't come back as strong as it was, but it will come back, but it is going to take a huge correction in order for it to come back to a level that it will be a destination - tourism and/or business. To what level, I don't know. If I could tell you that, I wouldn't be sitting here on DF; I'd be off making money from my power to foresee the future!!!

Corrections? it ll never happen.
Too many scary news already, why take the risk and be jailed for a kiss, wearing a bikini or for having pain killers or a beer. Let's face it, Dubai is as liberal as Saudi. Business? before trying to lure more investors start compensating those who lost their downpayments on the properties that will never be built. Blaming expats CEO's won't do the trick. Steve Trutch, yes he was convicted in the UK, but is an old case (1993), out of the context.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 14, 2009
I have heard abt this group called Pink Slip being run on Twitter and Linked In..helping people made redundant find jobs. You may suggest your friends to check this out :)

Cheers
Imm
immortal01
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat