Unemployed
40%
Employed, but feel insecure
30%
Crisis? What crisis? Everything's ok
30%

Total votes : 10

Realtime Crisis Asessment Aug 08, 2009
Let's asess the impact of the current financial crisis on Dubai Forum members.
Once you've answered the poll question, do take some time out to highlight the nature of your work.
Thank You!

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 08, 2009
Hey MCL,

Well, I opted for Unemployed, as that is the real situation.
Having said that, I was a bit worried recently about a new career perspective in Dubai as the odds seem so low in that region of the World in a relatively small (aerospace) engineering niche market. However, I really want to live and work there for at least a year or five.

It may sound weird, but since I quited my engineering job I have never felt more contradicting emotions in my body than ever before. To be honest, I feel very pleased with the amount of time I have been able to put in myself to educate myself in finance and the global economic crisis since early 2008. I definitely haven't stopped learning. Just made a bit less money than I was capable of. Fortunately money isn't all there is in life.

I don't think this crisis is gonna get me off my feet. With my positive mind and tireless ability to learn I only see opportunities from here on and forward in the future. I know what my abilities are and I know what I'm willing to do for it.
If only my future employer would be convinced that they need me...then everything should be getting even better from here on.

Optimism and reality knowledge is key for me. I'm ready...real ready ;)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 08, 2009
I was about to choose the second one, but since that my visa just expired couple of days ago, I'm officially "unemployed". Still have one month grant period for keep looking a new one before being illegal resident. I guess no need for visa transfer, NOC, or anything since I'm not "owned" by anyone (ex-company) anymore, am I?

RobbyG, good luck finding one mate! In the mean time, plan for alternatives. Unless you're lucky or get the right person/company, it's quite difficult to find a job here with specific roles or specialized skills (it's been 5 months for me). And if you don't mind to generalize, you're competing with some fellows with more qualifications (on papers at least) who's willing to get paid for just several thousands bucks.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 08, 2009
Hey my sample population needs to be > than 8

So far we're tilting towrds two extremes, Unemployed and Hunky Dory!
Interesting! Keep polling people..........
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2009
It's all good. I'm a mechanical engineer working for a company that invests in alternate sources of energy. At our company we really have not felt any crisis thus far......
Razmattaz
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat