Filipinos Won Agains The Brits In Boxing - Pacquio Vs Hatton

Topic locked
May 05, 2009
Good point speedhump ... wish people start to have a matured outlook like yours.

The world would be so much different. My fellow human beings willbe treated better and not like dirt.

worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 05, 2009
portland wrote:are you all retard or idiots? please read the titles properly ...
Common sense please : Pacquio is Filipino and Hatton is Briton
so whats wrong with the title? its states there IN BOXING.

Filipinos won agains the Brits in Boxing - Pacquio vs Hatton

Please explain to me when Pacquio and Hatton were picked as representatives of the Phillipines and Britain?

Before you continue spewing more verbage, remember this is NOT the olympics or the world cup.

Its people like you who condone division within countries and then complain about it later on.

----------
I'm glad the Pacman won. Best pound for pounder fighter in the world.
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 05, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Speedhump wrote:Hatton is way, way past his prime, he should have retired long ago. He was the best fighter in the world a while back, now he's a dud, beating him is no biggie, end of story.

The Filipino vs Brits thing is only typical of the way a lot of people look at sport. It's only childish 'my dad could beat your dad' playground stuff. Just get over it guys, I don't think he meant to offend anyone.

Agreed SH

Voice of reason. Playground stuff for sure.
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 05, 2009
You got the Filipino president and PM heralding Manny's feat....Talk bout appeasing the public.

I opine that the public acceptance for Manny stems from lack of achievement in other sporting arenas.

After all Beggars can't be Choosers. :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Personally, I think boxing is a hideous sport! I cannot understand what the attraction is watching two people try to beat each other to a pulp.

Agreed it's brutal and ugly....but there's a lot that goes into making a champion boxer. The conditioning, peak physical fitness, timing of punches, the weight factor. It takes a lot to be a professional boxer. And if there are athletes good enough to compete and win in the professional boxing circuit, then they sure deserve all the praise and adulation.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 05, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:You got the Filipino president and PM heralding Manny's feat....Talk bout appeasing the public.

I opine that the public acceptance for Manny stems from lack of achievement in other sporting arenas.

After all Beggars can't be Choosers. :D

'Bread and circuses' as the old latin phrase goes! Many governments all around the world often need to distract an unhappy population with some good news (or a war...).

:)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 05, 2009
kanelli wrote:Anyhow, if the fighters were representing their countries at an international event like Olympics or something, then the title would be more accurate. If they are just representing themselves as individuals in a professional competition, then the title is inaccurate.

Disagree :lol:
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

May 05, 2009
ArchitectRoel wrote:
kanelli wrote:Anyhow, if the fighters were representing their countries at an international event like Olympics or something, then the title would be more accurate. If they are just representing themselves as individuals in a professional competition, then the title is inaccurate.

Disagree :lol:

Flag waver :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009
I disagreed about the thread title before and the OP already said that he didn't mean it the way we all took it, but we just couldn't help it huh?

My cousin was in the MGM stadium for the event and he told me about how the british fans booed and jeered while our national anthem was being sung. How rude and disrespectful is that?! Personally I just couldn't imagine how people can do that, and no, being drunk and being a fan of a sport, no matter how barbaric it may be, is no excuse.

Considering that, now I think the thread title is correct. That one solid punch that sent the poor man to the canvass and to a parallel dimension, and the priceless look on the brits' faces in there couldn't have been sweeter. It was a victory for the Filipinos indeed.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

May 06, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Personally, I think boxing is a hideous sport! I cannot understand what the attraction is watching two people try to beat each other to a pulp.

I don't like the appeal of people trying to get an oval ball across a court fumbling. Boxing is a fast sport, and more exciting, more emotional than going after a ball.
saracen
Dubai Forums Member

May 06, 2009
kanelli wrote:Well, Chocs, it is another male invention, so that explains it all :)

Anyhow, if the fighters were representing their countries at an international event like Olympics or something, then the title would be more accurate. If they are just representing themselves as individuals in a professional competition, then the title is inaccurate.

Please don't try to discredit Pacquiao who has achieved so much in the sport. He is already regarded as the "Greatest of the greatest" in the sport by no less than the very authorities in world boxing.

He is a already a Nike endorser along with the world's best athletes in their respective sport like Roger Federer, Kobe Bryant, Sharapova, Ronaldo, etc., knowing that Nike will not select an athlete which is not worthy of endorsing its products, only the greatest like Pacquiao will do justice.

Did Federer need to join the olympics or Tiger woods? And oh, golf i think is not even an olympic sport but Woods is regarded as a sports icon no less.
saracen
Dubai Forums Member

May 06, 2009
pinoy1 wrote:I disagreed about the thread title before and the OP already said that he didn't mean it the way we all took it, but we just couldn't help it huh?

My cousin was in the MGM stadium for the event and he told me about how the british fans booed and jeered while our national anthem was being sung. How rude and disrespectful is that?! Personally I just couldn't imagine how people can do that, and no, being drunk and being a fan of a sport, no matter how barbaric it may be, is no excuse.

Considering that, now I think the thread title is correct. That one solid punch that sent the poor man to the canvass and to a parallel dimension, and the priceless look on the brits' faces in there couldn't have been sweeter. It was a victory for the Filipinos indeed.

There is no excuse for booing a nation's anthem but it unfortunately happens all over sport now and UK fans can be among the worst. Filipinos I am sure are far more polite than most sports fans, it's a shame that you have such vindictive feelings now though, it's better to rise above it.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 06, 2009
saracen wrote:Please don't try to discredit Pacquiao who has achieved so much in the sport. He is already regarded as the "Greatest of the greatest" in the sport by no less than the very authorities in world boxing.

He is a already a Nike endorser along with the world's best athletes in their respective sport like Roger Federer, Kobe Bryant, Sharapova, Ronaldo, etc., knowing that Nike will not select an athlete which is not worthy of endorsing its products, only the greatest like Pacquiao will do justice.

Did Federer need to join the olympics or Tiger woods? And oh, golf i think is not even an olympic sport but Woods is regarded as a sports icon no less.

Sarcean ever heard of the Ryder Cup? Davis Cup?
Besides Roger Federer did compete in the Sydney Olympics(Semi-Finalist), Athens as well as Beijing ( doubles Gold).
Golf is not an Olympic sport, but boxing is!
Nationalism does make one blind!

And just cuz one is a Nike endorser is not a testament of anything. Nike would very well endorse a pillow fighter or a head banger if they could generate revenues. The WBA praises Manny becuz gullible Filipinas like you give the dying sport (in terms of revenues) a lease of life.

The funny thing is I doubt Federer and Woods combined get as much blind adulation as Manny. Over time their performances on the international circuit has endeared them to the international audience.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
saracen wrote:Please don't try to discredit Pacquiao who has achieved so much in the sport. He is already regarded as the "Greatest of the greatest" in the sport by no less than the very authorities in world boxing.

Sarcean ever heard of the Ryder Cup? Davis Cup?
Besides Roger Federer did compete in the Sydney Olympics(Semi-Finalist), Athens as well as Beijing ( doubles Gold).
Golf is not an Olympic sport, but boxing is!
Nationalism does make one blind!

And just cuz one is a Nike endorser is not a testament of anything. Nike would very well endorse a pillow fighter or a head banger if they could generate revenues. The WBA praises Manny becuz gullible Filipinas like you give the dying sport (in terms of revenues) a lease of life.

The funny thing is I doubt Federer and Woods combined get as much blind adulation as Manny. Over time their performances on the international circuit has endeared them to the international audience.

boxing is a dying sport in terms of revenues? do you even know how much manny and hatton got paid for the fight? aside from the pay per views and sponsorships. please stop being ignorant and post some figures here to prove your point. and as your comment on phils. not being great in other sports, we are still no. 1 in billiards, boxing, and bowling.

what sport does your country succeed in? cricket? old filipina women from barrios use the cricket bats in phils. to wash dirty clothes by the river side.... :lol:
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
Number 1 in billiards, boxing and bowling? Hah ha HA :lol: :lol:

Revenues are declining that's precisely why the IBO needs to put someone on the pedestal. The IBO now needs to look beyond American fighters. Post Hoya's retirement the baton will be passed to Paquiao. It's simply economics dude.... :)
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 07, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Number 1 in billiards, boxing and bowling? Hah ha HA :lol: :lol:

Revenues are declining that's precisely why the IBO needs to put someone on the pedestal. The IBO now needs to look beyond American fighters. Post Hoya's retirement the baton will be passed to Paquiao. It's simply economics dude.... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bowling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Nepomuceno

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Although fighting with fists comes naturally to people, evidence of fist-fighting contests first appear on ancient Sumerian, Egyptian and Minoan reliefs. The ancient Greeks provide us our first historical records of boxing as a formal sport; they codified a set of rules and staged tournaments with professionals. The birth hour of boxing as a sport may be its acceptance as an Olympic game as early as 688 BC. Modern boxing evolved in Europe, particularly Great Britain.
UNQUOTE (Wikipedia)

So yes, Pacquiao deserves to be praised.

As for the "economics" you had mentioned, who else do you think will be in that "pedestal" you had mentioned other than the winner? I think it is more of a common sense than economics.

It's still a sport. And everyone knows there is a huge market in the world of sports.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
Hey farthest point, ur totally right.
But I maintain that adulation is a lil overdone. And were there more champion sports persons in your country it would have been a different story.

If Filipinos always loved Boxing so, and had belief in his capabilities, then Manny wouldn't have lost so abysmally in his attempt to win a congressional seat.
The fact is that his fights have been hyped beyond a comprehensible level.
And it has worked. Manny's name now figures in the Times list of most influential persons.
This simple fact is that everyone loves a winner. Filipinas desperately needed a sporting icon....and marketing gurus gave them what they wanted.
He's stated his willingness to contest in 2010, just see how he sweeps the polls.

But nothing takes away from the fact that he is one helluva boxer and as I eagerly await his upcoming matches, I shall keep watching re-runs.
And not to mention his life story is unbelievably inspirational.

Pacquiao is not just an inspiration for people, but has been a saving grace for the Philippines government on more than one occasion,' says Granville Ampong, a highly respected Filipino journalist based in Los Angeles, who writes for several newspaper titles in the Philippines. 'The Philippines is in a state of political chaos, of economic meltdown. There are many controversies around the current administration, and he has saved them from attack from revolutionaries.
Politics and sports MUST not mix.

The Philippines also possesses the highest birth rate in Asia, with forecasters predicting the population of 90 million (it is the world's 12th most populous country) could double within three decades, pushing the fragile economy past breaking point.
It is also the world's biggest rice importer, and has seen prices soar in recent years. The Philippines needs, if not a miracle, then an individual who embodies unity and hope for the future.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... fight.html
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat