Western Expats Full Of Praise For Dubai!!!!

Topic locked
Western Expats Full of Praise for Dubai!!!! Apr 13, 2009
As published in GN today.

It's clearly not a survey. But it would've been better if they had conducted a scientific poll with a big enough sample!!

Western expatriates who have made Dubai their home feel that the city has exceeded their expectations in all counts.

Many who spoke to Gulf News said they regard Dubai as one of the most comfortable and tolerant cities in the world and maintained the western media that "unleash mindless criticism on Dubai" is failing to see the real story.

Corrado Chiarentin, 44, who runs a business consultancy in Dubai, said it is "the most tolerant city" he has ever been to.

People from all nationalities and religious backgrounds live in complete harmony here. I always wonder how the local population copes with the huge expatriate population as it is almost dominating the social scene. In any other country, you can see that the local population is always reluctant to accept expatriates. But Dubai is different, and we really have to appreciate the open-mindedness."

For many, like Wess Long from the USA, moving to Dubai has been an enriching experience.

"I am glad I took the decision to come here. It has been a learning experience because in Dubai we get to know different cultures and different people," said Long who works for the Hospitality sector. He added that it is unfortunate that there are lot of stereotypes about Dubai in the western media.

"It is a fact that there are issues where stereotypical ideas exist between both the cultures. But we are ambassadors and we dispel the wrong notions people back home might have about the place," added Long.

Ron, a healthcare professional from the UK, is of the opinion that Dubai as an emerging city has done "exceptionally well" in the last two decades, and the western world should give the city its credit.

"It is easy to bash any place. It is not fair to see Dubai in the same light as other big cities in the world which have been there for hundreds of years. Dubai might have made some mistakes, but it learns and improves," said Ron.

According to another expatriate from Argentina, western expatriates like him might have left Dubai long back if they did not like it.

"I don't agree that Dubai poses any issues for people who understand that they are living in a foreign country and have to be respectful of the host country's traditions and values. If you behave like an arrogant expatriate, obviously you will be treated likewise. I am happy here, and I very much feel like in the mainstream because I was lucky enough to have made friends from all backgrounds ."

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10303613.html

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2009
How nice to take comments from expats from different countries. I believe more expats have a positive comment on Dubai than those who continuously find fault with it, yet continue to stay on.

Thank you for the article Tom.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 13, 2009
As biased an article as the Hari one....

They definitely wouldnt publish any comments that were negative.

Why is it that people either bash everything about Dubai or else praise it to the sky?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 13, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:As biased an article as the Hari one....

They definitely wouldnt publish any comments that were negative.

Why is it that people either bash everything about Dubai or else praise it to the sky?

Some people just can't see this divide. They have preconditions and preassumptive judgement waiting to be unleashed.

They look through a different eye then ours.

Thanks for the article by the way!
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 13, 2009
Dubai - Dubai - Dubai
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Western Expats Full of Praise for Dubai!!!! Apr 13, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:I always wonder how the local population copes with the huge expatriate population as it is almost dominating the social scene. In any other country, you can see that the local population is always reluctant to accept expatriates. But Dubai is different, and we really have to appreciate the open-mindedness."

Open-mindedness? I don't think so.
I'm not on either "side", it's the fact that Dubai has grown mainly because of expats (investors) existence. Because of this, the locals can enjoy totally free education, free home, higher salary, secure jobs, etc.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2009
To me this report has the feel of being part of a campaign to “polish up” Dubai’s image…..following the recent negative reports by the British media!!!

Moreover, the report only covered Western expats, who generally receive bigger salaries and enjoy a more comfortable living than the other nationalities. Therefore, “it is not unusual” that these Westerners would profess to a higher degree of satisfaction with Dubai than the others!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2009
As this article is in response to a negative report that came out of the UK, I think Dubai has every right to respond. I don't think I have seen an article where Dubai made negative statements about the UK or the US. Neither country is perfect and has it's flaws along with the rest of the developed world.

There are many different nationalities who enjoy high salaries and comfortable life styles. The Westerners don't have the exclusive on that. People from the subcontinent do very, very well here owning businesses.

By the way I like what you say about being a good listener.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 13, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:As this article is in response to a negative report that came out of the UK, I think Dubai has every right to respond. I don't think I have seen an article where Dubai made negative statements about the UK or the US. Neither country is perfect and has it's flaws along with the rest of the developed world.

There are many different nationalities who enjoy high salaries and comfortable life styles. The Westerners don't have the exclusive on that. People from the subcontinent do very, very well here owning businesses.

By the way I like what you say about being a good listener.

Thank you BB!

True that the good life in Dubai is not exclusively limited to the Westerners, but percentage wise, they do perhaps hold this honor among all foreigners. That’s why I said in my post that they generally (and not exclusively) enjoy a more comfortable living than the rest.

I also agree with you that the leaders of Dubai are fully entitled to counteract the recent bad publicity with similar reports that highlight the positive side of Dubai.

But, in the meantime, I do hope that they sincerely work hard to rectify the existing problems that are damaging their image internationally. Downplaying these problems, or denying them altogether, will only make things worse for them.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

xty wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:I always wonder how the local population copes with the huge expatriate population as it is almost dominating the social scene. In any other country, you can see that the local population is always reluctant to accept expatriates. But Dubai is different, and we really have to appreciate the open-mindedness."

I'm not on either "side", it's the fact that Dubai has grown mainly because of expats (investors) existence. Because of this, the locals can enjoy totally free education, free home, higher salary, secure jobs, etc.

ahhhh no ,that would be the Oil.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

uaekid wrote:
xty wrote:

ahhhh no ,that would be the Oil.

Sorry son, the oil in Dubai can't pay for all that leverage.

If you relate the leverage back to recently completed buildings and projects, thus foreign investor demand....you'd know that without expats, that whole dream would'nt exist simply by oil alone...

Financial leverage was the boom, but also nearly the bust.
Beware of what you preach, in a city almost out of financial reach ;)
RobbyG

Apr 14, 2009
Just to clear things out, Dubai really doesn't have much oil just around 4 offshore rigs and gas field in margham. Its Abu Dhabi that has the motherlode. Dubais oil production is less than a drop in the ocean compared to Abu Dhabi's.

So its not oil which pays for it "all" as uaekid say or attracts expats to come here. Otherwise 90% of expat population would be working in the Oil & Gas sector
desertdudeshj

Apr 14, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Just to clear things out, Dubai really doesn't have much oil just around 4 offshore rigs and gas field in margham. Its Abu Dhabi that has the motherlode. Dubais oil production is less than a drop in the ocean compared to Abu Dhabi's.

So its not oil which pays for it "all" as uaekid say or attracts expats to come here. Otherwise 90% of expat population would be working in the Oil & Gas sector

Thats right.
RobbyG

Apr 14, 2009
Exactly its kinda dumb @ss when everybody says dubai is ( or was ) booming due to its oil. Or the media reports wheter good or bad say oil rich city/state of Dubai.

There isn't much Oil money in Dubai People. Hence dubai has always been trying to diversy its ecomony and be less dependent on oil, tapping into other sources of income like tourism.

You think if dubai had a huge cushion like Oil to fall back on things would be so bad as they are now. Abudhabi on the other hand does and you can see its in much better shape that Dubai. Infact you could even says its hardly been touched by the current crisis plus its absorbing a lot of redudndant workers from Dubai.
desertdudeshj

Apr 14, 2009
Just because people aren't battling on the streets doesn't mean a place is tolerant. There are other ways to show intolerance and bias, and in Dubai you can see it all.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 14, 2009
Whats also funny is that most people who praise Dubai go on like: "Dubai is great, I have a huge villa, and 3 cars, couldnt have that back home, so Dubai is excellent for all"...

Hmm, if you work in an oil company in Sudan, you can live like a king, but that doesnt mean Sudan is excelent to live in.

yes, Dubai has its pluses including numerous opportunities, a relatively liberal atmosphere, and excellent security.

So it makes sense to stress those rather than to keep saying Dubai is wonderful because of bars/cars/villas
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat