How Do I Tell My Employees They’ve Become Redundant?

Topic locked
Apr 07, 2009
Dubai Rose wrote:Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Most of the suggestions and comments were helpful and supportive. Greatly appreciated!!

The problem with most employees in this part of the world is that they have invested a lot in their jobs. They’ve traveled great distances to come to a strange land, to work for better wages so that they can provide a better life for themselves and their families back home. It's a big sacrifice for many. Losing their job means losing their dreams for a better future. When a worker loses his or her job in the UAE, their visa is cancelled and they must go back home within a month-- unlike sacked workers in most other counties where they usually find another job without much effort (not now perhaps!). That’s why there is that display of super charged of emotions when they find out about the loss of their job, something which I certainly hate to see or go through.

There is another thing I’ve noticed about some workers esp. from Asia, East Europe and Arabic countries. They take their termination too personally. Not only they get too emotional when told about it, they seem to also get upset and angry. No matter how much I explain the reasons behind the termination, they think I have picked them because I don’t like them. Then they start saying why me, and not so and so who’s worse than me. They also go on listing all the good things they do, or have done, for the company and all the bad things the other employees do, or have done!

Anyway, I don’t have much time to write more right now, but when it’s all over I hope I can report back here, on how everything went.

Again thank you all indeed for the kind responses.

DR

Your concern for your employees is truly commendable. A true Rose :) Looks like your giving this task of yours a lot of thought......
Your absolutely spot on when you say that workers from Asia, Africa, and Arabic Speaking countries take their termination too seriously. You ned to be very tactful with such people.
Take Care and All The Best!

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
Dubai Rose wrote: That’s why there is that display of super charged of emotions when they find out about the loss of their job, something which I certainly hate to see or go through.

There is another thing I’ve noticed about some workers esp. from Asia, East Europe and Arabic countries. They take their termination too personally. Not only they get too emotional when told about it, they seem to also get upset and angry. No matter how much I explain the reasons behind the termination, they think I have picked them because I don’t like them. Then they start saying why me, and not so and so who’s worse than me. They also go on listing all the good things they do, or have done, for the company and all the bad things the other employees do, or have done!

DR

Actually, after reading both your posts - I wonder how you got to the "senior" postion - you supposedly are in? by posting on forums such as these?

You obviously lack the maturity to deal with such situations. You ask for advice and then you make a noise about the complaining from certain ethnic groups when people get fired. What do you expect? Flowers and compliments when you take away their only source of income? not much of a smart HOD are you?

You sound like a wimp. You should have been the first one out.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 07, 2009
Dubai Rose wrote:Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Most of the suggestions and comments were helpful and supportive. Greatly appreciated!!

The problem with most employees in this part of the world is that they have invested a lot in their jobs. They’ve traveled great distances to come to a strange land, to work for better wages so that they can provide a better life for themselves and their families back home. It's a big sacrifice for many. Losing their job means losing their dreams for a better future. When a worker loses his or her job in the UAE, their visa is cancelled and they must go back home within a month-- unlike sacked workers in most other counties where they usually find another job without much effort (not now perhaps!). That’s why there is that display of super charged of emotions when they find out about the loss of their job, something which I certainly hate to see or go through.

Anyway, I don’t have much time to write more right now, but when it’s all over I hope I can report back here, on how everything went.

Again thank you all indeed for the kind responses.

DR

Pleasure
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 07, 2009
b like emirates.. ask them to take unpaid leave for 6 months..and if situation improves call them back :)
sunny123
Dubai Forum User

Apr 07, 2009
sunny123 wrote:b like emirates.. ask them to take unpaid leave for 6 months..and if situation improves call them back :)

if someone told me to that i wouldnt risk it. u would have to be a fool to take a leave during the recession. boss am going for work. come back after 2 week u find out u r out of work. i wouldnt advice this.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
Unpaid leave is obligatory. You can't choose since its a measure to deal without intantly having to fire you employees in a recession.

Chances are though, that you'll get fired anyway (or at least a few of them) after your leave is over.

Better start searching for a new job already...
RobbyG

Apr 07, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:
Dubai Rose wrote: That’s why there is that display of super charged of emotions when they find out about the loss of their job, something which I certainly hate to see or go through.

DR

Actually, after reading both your posts - I wonder how you got to the "senior" postion - you supposedly are in? by posting on forums such as these?

You obviously lack the maturity to deal with such situations. You ask for advice and then you make a noise about the complaining from certain ethnic groups when people get fired. What do you expect? Flowers and compliments when you take away their only source of income? not much of a smart HOD are you?

Not a clever post. Handling staff in a Dubai company with a wide variation in staff nationalities you maybe have not handled before is not going to be like doing it in your home country. This lady was just asking for input; no-one knows everything, especially when learning to handle different ethnic groups with sensitivity. OK, people are often promoted above their level of competence, especially in Dubai, but an assumption that she can't handle staff at all is unfair based on the little information you have. Head of Department does not mean Head of Human Resources. She probably has other good skills as a dept head, who knows?

It's her department and she was asked to select staff to leave and is being made to fire them. On a fairly large scale. How many people have that experience?

Wind your neck in mate ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
not really buddy. from her post, the person seems to have already gone ahead with the firing anyway.

And from whatever part of the world you are from some human reactions will be the same. Whether you're from the UK,US, middle east, Se Asia, etc, if you're doing well in your job and your boss calls you in his cabin one fine day and fires you - at that particular instant, I doubt you're just going to accept it. Emotion of any kind which may include aggressiveness is very well anticipated.

By the way, in most companies, as a policy, terminations are dealt with directly by the HR - because they are supposed to know how to deal with it in all respects - emotionally and professionally. If this person is in HR - well she does not seem confident. If she is in HR she should rejected accepting the task and assigned it to the HR department. Things tend to get ugly especially when the person who works with you on a day to day basis suddenly fires you.

In any case I have no respect or sympathy for any management who suddenly wakes up one day and decided to fire large percentage of their workforce. Just means that someone (read management itself) goofed big time. There are several big companies with huge workforce still pulling on without upsetting their employee base.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 07, 2009
I agree that you don't need to feel sympathy for the management who may have contributed to the bad state of their company, but I don't think this lady is in HR, she said is a dept head and she has had to make cuts in HER dept. She was probably hired for her other skills, not HR (I'm guessing).

She's been given a dirty job to do. I don't think you should call her a wimp for being thrust into unfamiliar territory.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
You're right Mr Hump.

Ms Rose - I'm sorry I called you a wimp for firing innocent workers esp. from Asia, East Europe and Arabic countries! Hope you didnt get too emotional as those being fired about it.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 07, 2009
michaeldubai wrote:

DR

And you sound like one of those employees who are unhappy miserable losers…

When the boss is nice and caring, he or she is a wimp or a pushover…

And when the boss is tough and mean, he or she is a bastard or a b*tch…

Give me a break man…!!

:shock: :shock:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 07, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:
michaeldubai wrote:

DR

And you sound like one of those employees who are unhappy miserable losers…

Give me a break man…!!

Yes indeed, a break is required
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 08, 2009
Tom Jones wrote:And you sound like one of those employees who are unhappy miserable losers…

Give me a break man…!!

:-) you sure sound like desert rose in disguise.... Dr. Jekyl and Mrs Hyde.

Never been laid off for whimsical reasons have you? Should try it at least once in your lifetime. Lets just say it give you a whole new outlook on life. :-) then everyone becomes a
Tom Jones wrote: bastard or a b*tch…
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 08, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
sunny123 wrote:b like emirates.. ask them to take unpaid leave for 6 months..and if situation improves call them back :)

if someone told me to that i wouldnt risk it. u would have to be a fool to take a leave during the recession. boss am going for work. come back after 2 week u find out u r out of work. i wouldnt advice this.

Come back after 2 weeks! R u kidding. They will contact you and tell you were made redundant and tell will get back to you as to when you can collect your gratuity!! I understand that some have been waiting for several months for their gratuity from one particular company.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 08, 2009
Call them all into a room, say "All those with a job, step forward..."then look at them over the top of your glasses and say "Wrong!!!"

Seriously, you have to stay purely unemotional as it is not a personal thing and is 'purely business'. This can be explained in a letter and on a personal one to one basis and, as long as the exit package is fair, they should see professionalism at all times.

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 08, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:Call them all into a room, say "All those with a job, step forward..."then look at them over the top of your glasses and say "Wrong!!!"

Seriously, you have to stay purely unemotional as it is not a personal thing and is 'purely business'. This can be explained in a letter and on a personal one to one basis and, as long as the exit package is fair, they should see professionalism at all times.

Knight

What do you consider a 'fair exit package' ?

Any thoughts on that?
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:Call them all into a room, say "All those with a job, step forward..."then look at them over the top of your glasses and say "Wrong!!!"

Knight

What do you consider a 'fair exit package' ?

Any thoughts on that?

In this town the rules are set by the Labour Dept., but if you offer a months pay, a delay in visa cancellation, non informing banks for a period of time, then you are being as fair as you can, particularly for those who have not been there for a year as they are technically entitled to jack and an automatic 6 month ban...which sucks!

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 08, 2009
Got Ya ;)
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
I with michaeldubai

Anyone who needs to advice about such things in their career from this forum of all places deserves abuse.

She should have had a It's A Knockout style tournament, employees split into four teams, obstacle courses in funny outfits carrying leaking buckets of water. Winners go to keep their jobs.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat