Can I Get Your Opinion About Seeking For A Job Please?

Topic locked
Can I get your opinion about seeking for a job please? Apr 01, 2009
Hi

I would love to work in Dubai and am trying to figure the best way to get out there - i love it and have been there loads of times before.

However - my question is not what you might expect -

I am a little worried about sending my CV and the prospective company contacting my current employer....do you think such a thing would happen or am I just being paranoid?

I mean, professional people ought to never contact the current employer - right\?

listerd
Dubai Forum Visitor

Apr 09, 2009
Why whats wrong with where you are now ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 12, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Why whats wrong with where you are now ?

What happened to you DD?

Suddenly not that happy with expats willing to contribute to UAE GDP?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Can I get your opinion about seeking for a job please? Apr 13, 2009
listerd wrote:Hi

I would love to work in Dubai and am trying to figure the best way to get out there - i love it and have been there loads of times before.

However - my question is not what you might expect -

I am a little worried about sending my CV and the prospective company contacting my current employer....do you think such a thing would happen or am I just being paranoid?

I mean, professional people ought to never contact the current employer - right\?

Key words here are: "professional people". There are professionals and then there are those who think they are professional. I know in the states they as if they want contact your current employer and if you say no, its no. But they will at some point call to get a reference, even after you started working there, or after they offered you a job and you accepted and informed them you handed in your resignation.

I would be very careful. Where you would name your current employer on your CV you can just put (To be Provided). What industry do you work in?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 14, 2009
As soon as you start looking for a job you should assume your current employer will get to hear about it, one way or another. Figure out what the probable consequences will be when they do and prepare for them. That said, Dubai is not as small as it used to be so it is possible to find another job quietly. The key here is

1. Don't tell people where you currently work that you're looking.
2. Before talking to a new company, try and determine if they are trustworthy enough to keep your application confidential (a respectable job agency might be a better way to go).
3. Assume your boss and the new company's boss play golf together anyway, therefore get your desk tidied up so you don't lose anything important if you are suddenly ejected.
4. Don't use company computer and/or email address to look for jobs.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 26, 2009
HI,

Let me know how it goes, because im also looking for a job in Dubai, mostly in the hospitality area..
Raneta
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai