Mar 23, 2009
Ahhh sincere love...

Ever wondered why we didn't marry earlier? :lol:

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 23, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Ahhh sincere love...

Ever wondered why we didn't marry earlier? :lol:

Because love-hate relationships aren't everlasting??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 23, 2009
Every marriage has its problems love... ;)

Don't go American on me now. I've had my piece of your nails in my back already...(must not forget: wax my back) :sex:
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Every marriage has its problems love... ;)

Don't go American on me now. I've had my piece of your nails in my back already...(must not forget: wax my back) :love:

If I go American on you, you can forget about wax, I would burn the hair off your back! - with a blow torch.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 23, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Getting back on track...................

I avoid the far left lane.

First, people who use it think that when the speed is "100" you must travel over 100.

Second, I figure when the laborer takes the leap, committing suicide for blood money, better the fool in the far left lane than me. Seven labors did this on SZR in a period of 2 weeks. I stick to the middle lane as I figure it would be quite a leap to hit my car!

I know a way to get them landcruisers off track easily.

Just throw a few of these out the window and wanna bet those landcruisers seek refuge on other lanes? Or won't they.... 8)

Say Bora, you can always throw yourself on the tarmac. Maybe they get scared of those eyes you got there honey 8)

You are making it too obvious that you don't live here. Throwing cats out of windows on the highway is a national sport here. Just read the papers or ask Chocoholic. Land Cruisers would aim for them.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 23, 2009
gtmash wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Getting back on track...................

I avoid the far left lane.

First, people who use it think that when the speed is "100" you must travel over 100.

Second, I figure when the laborer takes the leap, committing suicide for blood money, better the fool in the far left lane than me. Seven labors did this on SZR in a period of 2 weeks. I stick to the middle lane as I figure it would be quite a leap to hit my car!

I know a way to get them landcruisers off track easily.

Just throw a few of these out the window and wanna bet those landcruisers seek refuge on other lanes? Or won't they.... 8)

Say Bora, you can always throw yourself on the tarmac. Maybe they get scared of those eyes you got there honey 8)

You are making it too obvious that you don't live here. Throwing cats out of windows on the highway is a national sport here. Just read the papers or ask Chocoholic. Land Cruisers would aim for them.

Sad, but true.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 23, 2009
I would consider that...insider knowledge, but hey I'm just an outsider, right! 8)
RobbyG

Mar 25, 2009
I would URGE people not to "tap" their brakes when they have somebody tailgating them, not only is it stupid, it is also dangerous.

The best thing to do is to just indicate and move over at the first possible moment. Lets not forget that the far left lane is not a lane to dawdle in, it is an OVERTAKING lane (a concept lost in UAE).

To go back to my opening statement, I would like to ask people to think of the possible consequences of "tapping" their brakes. More often than not, it is a large 4x4 behind you, these things weigh substantially more than say a normal saloon car, this makes their braking ability/stopping distance a hell of a lot more than a saloon car, and they are somewhat less stable than a normal saloon car.

Scenario 1: So, you are in the OVERTAKING lane doing 140, a car comes up behind and tailgates you, so you get annoyed and tap your brakes (which for most people may mean pushing down harder than what they intended to), he/she does not react fast enough and given the weight of his car and speed, will most probably smack into the back of you. As a result, you will be shunted forward and 99.99% of the time, given the speed, not straight ahead but at an angle, you will try to overcorrect and get into a spin or roll your car in other words, you are now in danger of losing your life or being seriously hurt.

Scenario 2: Same as above but he is able to hit his brakes in time, but the person behind him cannot (may be a sunny/Yaris etc 1.6/1.3 with drum brakes) and that car goes plowing into the back of the 4x4 which will obviously cause serious damage and injury and you, oblivious to all this, carry on on your merry way in the OVERTAKING lane not realising the carnage you have caused behind.

People, I am not applauding the guys who tailgate, but warning you of the consequences of actions you may take. Also, when you are travelling at more than 140 (which like me, I am sure Cap Aussie has experienced on his trip to AUH) and somebody comes up behind you, they are putting a lot of faith in you that you will move over at the earliest and not tap your brakes.

Please only use the far left lane for overtaking, not for dawdling in.

Oh, for those not in the know: for a majority of the roads in Dubai, if it says 100 you can safely travel at 119 past speed camera's, if it says 120, then you can do 139 and if you are not doing that, then GET OUTA MY ****** WAY! :lol:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
yorky500 wrote:I would URGE people not to "tap" their brakes when they have somebody tailgating them, not only is it stupid, it is also dangerous.

In more civilized countries, this is the proper course of action to take. This is what is taught in driving schools all over the world. Tailgating is stupid and dangerous.

yorky500 wrote:People, I am not applauding the guys who tailgate, but warning you of the consequences of actions you may take. Also, when you are travelling at more than 140 (which like me, I am sure Cap Aussie has experienced on his trip to AUH) and somebody comes up behind you, they are putting a lot of faith in you that you will move over at the earliest and not tap your brakes.

Both the scenarios you describe are valid in their outcomes but not in the appropriation of the blame. It is completely the tailgater's fault for failing to keep proper stopping distance.

yorky500 wrote:Oh, for those not in the know: for a majority of the roads in Dubai, if it says 100 you can safely travel at 119 past speed camera's, if it says 120, then you can do 139 and if you are not doing that, then GET OUTA MY ****** WAY! :lol:

It doesn't matter what speed the damn camera actually triggers at; the speed limit is whatever is actually written on the sign. It's common road courtesy (and most probably a law as well) that one should not occupy the passing lane except for overtaking but that doesn't give anyone the go-ahead to tailgate someone who isn't following this rule.

Tailgating is an offense much worse than speeding or occupying the passing lane. I know that you said that you're not applauding the tailgaters but the tone in your post makes you sound like a tailgater apologist, if you will.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 25, 2009
Uhhh I'd listen to Yorky, he's kinda the Evolve forums guru too, and my hero of the roads :drunken:
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 25, 2009
Actually, just did some reading and tapping your brakes is no longer taught as a way to get tailgaters off of you and is now discouraged. So I'm wrong about that.

My point still stands though that tailgating is the more serious offense here, not occupying the passing lane.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 25, 2009
I am not lauding tailgaters, but trying to look at the consequences of doing what some have described as the appropriate action to take.
Yes, I do speed (but not fined as I do not exceed the "allowable limit") :wink: , yes I do get angry when people don't move over and they are doing 100 (sign says 100, but you know they can do 119).

Christ, I have been tailgated at speeds in excess of the stated and allowable limits, but am I going to tap my brakes, an I FOOK, the consequences are horrendous. I mean, I have also been overtaken by blacked-out saloons and 4x4's on the hard shoulder doing more than the stated and allowable limits.

Gamer - so, if you did tap your brakes thereby causing an accident, would you thereafter pull up and over and then go and justify your actions to the cops?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 25, 2009
yorky500 wrote:Gamer - so, if you did tap your brakes thereby causing an accident, would you thereafter pull up and over and then go and justify your actions to the cops?

I may have done so before but not now that I know better :)

I rarely get tailgated now though ever since I started keeping to the outside lanes for the majority of my trips. When I do get tailgated in those lanes, I just try to double my stopping distance to the car in front of me.

But I hate driving. I really do. It often brings out the worst in me :(
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 25, 2009
Allright, I'm buying RPG's now. Discussion is over ;)
RobbyG

Mar 25, 2009
is it gameover!!!

:lol:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Mar 27, 2009
Some guy did it to me on SZR when i was coming back from co-op Al wasl road. I got my kid brother to get an egg out from the groceries and I let this fool think i'm giving into him by moving into the 2nd lane.

I then caught up parallel to him and horned at him to get his window down. Dashed that egg through his window as fast as I could, and then I quickly cut to the slow lane and took my exit.. HAHA
Waqsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 27, 2009
Waqsy wrote:Some guy did it to me on SZR when i was coming back from co-op Al wasl road. I got my kid brother to get an egg out from the groceries and I let this fool think i'm giving into him by moving into the 2nd lane.

I then caught up parallel to him and horned at him to get his window down. Dashed that egg through his window as fast as I could, and then I quickly cut to the slow lane and took my exit.. HAHA

This is actually a very good one. Great action and so humiliating... :lol:
Great job. Just imagine the mess that egg produces... ahh Justicceeee :twisted:
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat